The Student Room Group

My mom is robbing my child allowance Benefit

I am 17. And I live with my Nan not my parents due to abuse and police issues with them.
She asked me for my bank details so she could put the money is so I could pay for my school dinner money, food and anything that goes toward me and my personal finance.
She’s hasn’t followed up putting it into my bank account. She now gives it me by hand. But she’s told me she used to get it at the start of the month And now it’s all over the month one month is the end the other the middle. But that’s not right.
Ultimately it’s the same amount but we are missing out weeks. Because sometimes it 2 weeks late from when she gave it me.
I’ve told her to call them and she says she doesn’t want to and keeps hiding her statements. So I’m getting £80 but let’s say every 6 weeks.
I care for my disabled grandmother, but I don’t claim as I haven’t started that process.
I’ve lived with my Nan for 2 years and she’s only started giving me my child allowance 5 months ago (80x5)
As she was keeping the rest and spending it on herself. She’s a diagnosed shopaholic. I don’t live there as the house is infested and she has 6 hoovers.
Dad agrees with me but he is controlled and says he cannot say or do anything about it as she’ll find out.
Does anybody know what I can do (I do not have a social worker anymore and do not wanr one as my mom became relentless when I told the police about her hitting me)

I’m looking for a job so I can provide myself food and food for school (on my account)
What should I do??
I have no idea how to deal with your mother but child benefit is every 4 weeks (not monthly) so even if she was passing it on directly as agreed then it would not be at the same time every month.
Alert the council that you no longer live with your mother and you are in the care of your Gran. They'll probably investigate it and can advise you on how your Gran can instead claim it.
I'm not sure they'll ever pay it directly to you though because as you are in contact with your parents and with your mother having given you some of the payments, I'm not sure you'd be classed as an estranged/independent living child.
I'm never a fan of "they're your family... forgive them". I truly believe you should think about yourself in this situation and do what is best for you. If you don't want to involve social services because of your mother's previous actions, you may be better off just completely cutting off contact. It would mean sacrificing what little financial support you get and I do know how difficult that can make attending college etc. Just put as much effort into getting a part time job. Apply for everything you can. Once you no longer need the financial support from your mum, cut her out. It may even encourage her to change and work for your forgiveness.
Good luck. I do hope you manage to find the right help and support!
Original post by ReadingMum
I have no idea how to deal with your mother but child benefit is every 4 weeks (not monthly) so even if she was passing it on directly as agreed then it would not be at the same time every month.

I agree with you. Thanks
Original post by Always_Confused
Alert the council that you no longer live with your mother and you are in the care of your Gran. They'll probably investigate it and can advise you on how your Gran can instead claim it.
I'm not sure they'll ever pay it directly to you though because as you are in contact with your parents and with your mother having given you some of the payments, I'm not sure you'd be classed as an estranged/independent living child.
I'm never a fan of "they're your family... forgive them". I truly believe you should think about yourself in this situation and do what is best for you. If you don't want to involve social services because of your mother's previous actions, you may be better off just completely cutting off contact. It would mean sacrificing what little financial support you get and I do know how difficult that can make attending college etc. Just put as much effort into getting a part time job. Apply for everything you can. Once you no longer need the financial support from your mum, cut her out. It may even encourage her to change and work for your forgiveness.
Good luck. I do hope you manage to find the right help and support!

Thank you
Reply 5
Original post by success4life
I am 17. And I live with my Nan not my parents due to abuse and police issues with them.
She asked me for my bank details so she could put the money is so I could pay for my school dinner money, food and anything that goes toward me and my personal finance.
She’s hasn’t followed up putting it into my bank account. She now gives it me by hand. But she’s told me she used to get it at the start of the month And now it’s all over the month one month is the end the other the middle. But that’s not right.
Ultimately it’s the same amount but we are missing out weeks. Because sometimes it 2 weeks late from when she gave it me.
I’ve told her to call them and she says she doesn’t want to and keeps hiding her statements. So I’m getting £80 but let’s say every 6 weeks.
I care for my disabled grandmother, but I don’t claim as I haven’t started that process.
I’ve lived with my Nan for 2 years and she’s only started giving me my child allowance 5 months ago (80x5)
As she was keeping the rest and spending it on herself. She’s a diagnosed shopaholic. I don’t live there as the house is infested and she has 6 hoovers.
Dad agrees with me but he is controlled and says he cannot say or do anything about it as she’ll find out.
Does anybody know what I can do (I do not have a social worker anymore and do not wanr one as my mom became relentless when I told the police about her hitting me)

I’m looking for a job so I can provide myself food and food for school (on my account)
What should I do??

There is some useful information here:

https://www.grandparentsplus.org.uk/for-kinship-carers/advice-and-support/benefits-and-tax-credits/benefits-for-children/

I believe that as you are living with your grandma she should claim and receive child benefit, Ask your Nan to make a claim now you live with her:
https://www.gov.uk/child-benefit/how-to-claim

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending