Majafaja
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi, i have just started IB this year and i want to do my ee in english, but im not sure what book (or books) i should choose; I don’t want to do smthn that has been done a million times before like Shakespear Austen or Wild becuase im afraid it will not get me the highest grade, so if you had any any ideas or recommendations, i would be more than grateful! <3
boeuf
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
There are so many things you could study- if you want to do something more original, consider doing a modern play. Unlike studying Shakespeare, where much time is spent analysing the complex language, form and structure of the writing, modern plays also require an analysis of the scene, props, lighting and an awareness of the audience. Caryl Churchill, for example, has written some amazing pieces and has been called 'the Picasso of Playwrights'.

Often, the texts that are overdone are more classical, so why not choose a modern novel? In English Literature SL I studied Giovanni's Room by James Baldwin, which has become one of my favourite novels ever. It deals with topics such as immigration, homosexuality and capital punishment that you probably won't find in more canonical, traditional works of literature.

Alternatively, start by choosing a topic you would like to explore in more depth, such as colonisation (Things Fall Apart by Achebe is a fantastic one) and try to find texts that deal with that topic.

Enjoy the IB, it's an amazing program and let me know what you choose for your EE xx
alan55
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
same here, writing is not my strong suit. I'm looking for new ideas for my argumentative essay. Luckily I found non plagiarized essays free ownessays to save my time. These guys are real pro in writing and check all works on plagiarism.
Last edited by alan55; 2 weeks ago
Majafaja
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by boeuf)
There are so many things you could study- if you want to do something more original, consider doing a modern play. Unlike studying Shakespeare, where much time is spent analysing the complex language, form and structure of the writing, modern plays also require an analysis of the scene, props, lighting and an awareness of the audience. Caryl Churchill, for example, has written some amazing pieces and has been called 'the Picasso of Playwrights'.

Often, the texts that are overdone are more classical, so why not choose a modern novel? In English Literature SL I studied Giovanni's Room by James Baldwin, which has become one of my favourite novels ever. It deals with topics such as immigration, homosexuality and capital punishment that you probably won't find in more canonical, traditional works of literature.

Alternatively, start by choosing a topic you would like to explore in more depth, such as colonisation (Things Fall Apart by Achebe is a fantastic one) and try to find texts that deal with that topic.

Enjoy the IB, it's an amazing program and let me know what you choose for your EE xx
Thanks so much, I had to be quick because we have a shortage of supervisors for english EEs xd, so i chose Brave New Worldand I want to write about totalitarianism’s characteristics in it (maybe not the most original but also not so obvious, since it’s not really fully dystopian i think) <3
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (0)
0%
No (3)
100%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed