The Student Room Group

Moving from dailies to Bi-weekly lenses

I’ve just been told by the opticians that they no longer do my contact lenses prescription in dailies 😭

Now I have to move on to bi-weekly. I’m just a little worried with the higher chance of infection and the harder to handle side to these lenses. What are other people’s experiences with them?
Reply 1
Bump :smile:
I use monthlies for my contact lens prescription and I find these really convenient. The only difference you'll have between what you've been doing previously and now is that instead of throwing your contact lenses away, you'll clean them in a solution and store them overnight. It's straightforward and easy to do and provided you clean them thoroughly with the solution and store them in the solution, you're fine. I've had mine now for over a year and haven't had any problems with them.
Reply 3
When you say bi-weekly do you actually mean fortnightly?

You should watch videos on youtube about how to properly store them and clean them. You want to be sure you are keeping everything right because you can't get new eyes.
Reply 4
Most of the prescriptions exist in dailies too.

Bi-Weekly are pretty easy to use, you put the lenses in the solution instead of throwing them and you have to change the solution everyday before you put the lenses in the solution.
The optician should teach you how to use the non-daily ones. It takes 10 minutes top because you already know how to put them in and take them out.
Reply 5
Original post by Bio 7
When you say bi-weekly do you actually mean fortnightly?

You should watch videos on youtube about how to properly store them and clean them. You want to be sure you are keeping everything right because you can't get new eyes.

Yes sorry fortnightly! My opticians showed me today but I’ll look up some videos on how to do it too. Thanks!
Reply 6
Original post by toronto353
I use monthlies for my contact lens prescription and I find these really convenient. The only difference you'll have between what you've been doing previously and now is that instead of throwing your contact lenses away, you'll clean them in a solution and store them overnight. It's straightforward and easy to do and provided you clean them thoroughly with the solution and store them in the solution, you're fine. I've had mine now for over a year and haven't had any problems with them.

That’s good to hear, thank you! I’m a little nervous as I know it’s a higher risk for eye hygiene but it’s a lot more convenient for me. Hopefully everything turns out fine!

Is it more of a hassle on holidays or night outs? Obvs in this climate that’s not an issue but was thinking in the long term.
Reply 7
Original post by Kathy89
Most of the prescriptions exist in dailies too.

Bi-Weekly are pretty easy to use, you put the lenses in the solution instead of throwing them and you have to change the solution everyday before you put the lenses in the solution.
The optician should teach you how to use the non-daily ones. It takes 10 minutes top because you already know how to put them in and take them out.

Yeah I was really confused when they said dailies were no longer an option for me. I was gutted and worried my eyesight is really bad 😂 but it’s mostly because of my astigmatisms which they said was moderate??? I have no idea. Made me think of changing opticians but I thought I’ll give this a go first. I am a little nervous about getting my eyes infected but I’ll keep up with the cleansing.
Original post by Psychsie
That’s good to hear, thank you! I’m a little nervous as I know it’s a higher risk for eye hygiene but it’s a lot more convenient for me. Hopefully everything turns out fine!

Is it more of a hassle on holidays or night outs? Obvs in this climate that’s not an issue but was thinking in the long term.

I think once you get used to using them once or twice, you'll be fine. As for holidays, I just take the stuff with me, i.e. the case and the solution as they're not bulky. With nights out, sometimes I'll take them out when I get back, other times I'll leave them in overnight (some prescriptions allow you to do this as a one off)
Reply 9
Original post by toronto353
I think once you get used to using them once or twice, you'll be fine. As for holidays, I just take the stuff with me, i.e. the case and the solution as they're not bulky. With nights out, sometimes I'll take them out when I get back, other times I'll leave them in overnight (some prescriptions allow you to do this as a one off)

Ah okay, thank you! I’m not sure about my lenses I’ll have to ask. Do you clean your lenses with solution before and after you put them in? I was told to after in my palm but nothing about before 😅
Original post by Psychsie
Ah okay, thank you! I’m not sure about my lenses I’ll have to ask. Do you clean your lenses with solution before and after you put them in? I was told to after in my palm but nothing about before 😅

When you take them out. However, if I travel or go out with a small bag I'll take a case with fresh solution just in case I'll want to take the contacts out.

Quick Reply

Latest