Which Universities has the best undergraduate film production course

Watch
Olly Worrell
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Ive always had a passion for film but i have little to no knowledge to start my career going. Can someone please help me find the best path to becoming a cinematorgapher from uni onwards.
Gillzy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Olly Worrell)
Ive always had a passion for film but i have little to no knowledge to start my career going. Can someone please help me find the best path to becoming a cinematorgapher from uni onwards.
Bristol is quite good for film and tv production so I'm told.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
If you want to work in the film industry then look at studying at a CILECT member.
https://www.cilect.org/profiles/memb...4#.X1HO6SV4XYU

Bristol is not a CILECT member.

Avoid unaccredited or theoretical courses. Be sceptical of any course which attempts to cover media as a whole or tv as well as film.
Last edited by PQ; 3 weeks ago
SAE Institute Staff
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi Olly! Cinematography is a great area of the Film industry to go into. SAE Institute offers 2-year Digital Film Production degrees which would equip you with the necessary skills to become a cinematographer. We have UK campuses in Oxford, London, Liverpool, and Glasgow.

Here is a Q&A with one of our students at SAE Glasgow who produced his own documentary as part of his course. He has since graduated and become a cinematographer - https://www.sae.edu/gbr/sae-speaks-s...y-each-his-own

Here is another article on a project made by SAE Oxford students which was selected as part of London Independent Film Festival - https://www.sae.edu/gbr/sae-oxford-g...-film-festival

One of the students who worked on this project, Ben Eeley, is a professional cinematographer. You can read more about his career trajectory here: https://www.sae.edu/gbr/intern-cst-a...lance-ventures

If you'd like to learn more about our film course, check out this page: https://www.sae.edu/gbr/babsc-hons-d...ilm-production

What attracts you to a career in cinematography?

Beth Kirkbride
Marketing and Comms Officer - SAE Institute
Thisismyunitsr
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I honestly wouldn’t go. There are not jobs in the film industry. Do a degree WHICH IS GOING TO GET YOU A JOB. and then go from there
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Thisismyunitsr)
I honestly wouldn’t go. There are not jobs in the film industry. Do a degree WHICH IS GOING TO GET YOU A JOB. and then go from there
Which degrees are those then? That someone with a passion for cinematography would thrive on and then succeed in having a career in even though their interests lie elsewhere?
student424
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You will need to have a dig around but I think York has an excellent Film and TV Production course. There will be many others I'm sure. Ignore comments from people saying that you can't get into film. Yes, it's a tough industry to get into (which business isn't right now?!) but perhaps think a bit wider ... like entering a marketing-***-advertising route in a creative capacity. There will be some courses that are purely hands on type courses but also others that have a mix of academic and hands on. Maybe have a look at The rankings in the Complete University Guide under Communications and Media and see what unis come up. There might also be another section which is something like Drama and Film which may have more of the hands on type courses. Any form of media is an exciting area to be in right now as media is all around us. UCL is offering a new Media degree in 2021 so I think that says something! Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (35)
21.47%
No (128)
78.53%

Watched Threads