The Student Room Group

Pharmaceutical science to medicine

Hi, hope someone could help me. I just wanted to know if it’s possible to study medicine after completing my pharmaceutical science degree, As I know lots of university are doing graduate degree in medicine and I wanted to know if it’s worth it.
Reply 1
Original post by 126126
Hi, hope someone could help me. I just wanted to know if it’s possible to study medicine after completing my pharmaceutical science degree, As I know lots of university are doing graduate degree in medicine and I wanted to know if it’s worth it.

It's possible. Nobody else can tell you if it's worth it!
Reply 2
Hello, I just wanted to know if I was able to study medicine after a pharmaceutical degree as I know some university offer graduate entry into medicine. If anyone has any Information about this please let me know.
Most likely, provided you get a 2:1 or 1st class in your first degree, and meet any other entry criteria regarding e.g. work experience, specific subject background, any admissions assessments required etc. GEM courses are quite varied, some require a life sciences degree specifically (which pharmaceutical sciences might satisfy; pharmacology probably would), some want a STEM degree generally (which it would be fine for) and some have no requirements for degree subject(s) studied.

Note that if you haven't yet started on your degree, GEM is generally the "harder" route into medical school as it's more competitive and more expensive compared to standard entry medicine. Depending on your qualifications and grades it may be better to take a gap year and reapply (possibly with resitting exams, although this may require extenuating circumstances to be acceptable), or getting some experience working in the NHS for a couple years then doing an Access to Medicine course or similar (although you will need to check with individual medical schools whether the Access course in question is acceptable, as not all courses are accepted by all medical schools).

Quick Reply

Latest