The Student Room Group

Biomedical science entry 2021

Hey, I just wanted to start a thread for those who plan to apply for biomedical science for 2021 entry. Share stories, predicted grades, universities ...etc anything tbh. I’ll start, initially I wanted to apply for dentistry but due to my summer predicted grades (A*BB) I don’t think I’m gonna be able to apply alongside UCAT practise is not going well (and my test is next week as well..). Anyways I plan to apply for graduate entry dentistry, so for now Imma apply to biomedical science, which is calm since it’s still science at the end of the day (which I love)

Scroll to see replies

hello,
I wanted to apply to dentistry but my gcses where not that good to be honest, they were in my opinion quite average so I wanted to do law since i got grade 8 in my essay based subjects, so i ended up doing English Lit, Sociology, History and an epq on immunotherapy on non small cell lung cancer. (I got ABB and A* in my epq this summer) But even then, i went to lectures and i was dying out of boredom and i didnt like it at all because my dream was in dentistry, by this point i am in year 13. So, i started to look for ways to get into dentistry and i came across biomedical sciences with a foundation degree. Bascially, in a foundation year you dont need any prior knowledge in bio, chem and maths alevels because they are going to teach it all to you so u would be fine. I am starting mine this year at reading university but my plan is to do the foundation year there, get an exist award and apply for biomedical and dentistry at kings college london and biomed at other unis. So, dont lose hope u cant still get there!!! I am practicing for my UCAT as well and I am super panicky about how to structure my ucas personal statement since i have my biomedical science personal statement which i used in order to apply last year but i honestly have not idea what i am going to write about for my previous modules when my course starts on the 28th September and the deadline is the 15th October and how am i going to add dentistry on there as well? So if anyone can help i will be forever grateful!
Reply 2
Original post by Iman Al Zaeim
hello,
I wanted to apply to dentistry but my gcses where not that good to be honest, they were in my opinion quite average so I wanted to do law since i got grade 8 in my essay based subjects, so i ended up doing English Lit, Sociology, History and an epq on immunotherapy on non small cell lung cancer. (I got ABB and A* in my epq this summer) But even then, i went to lectures and i was dying out of boredom and i didnt like it at all because my dream was in dentistry, by this point i am in year 13. So, i started to look for ways to get into dentistry and i came across biomedical sciences with a foundation degree. Bascially, in a foundation year you dont need any prior knowledge in bio, chem and maths alevels because they are going to teach it all to you so u would be fine. I am starting mine this year at reading university but my plan is to do the foundation year there, get an exist award and apply for biomedical and dentistry at kings college london and biomed at other unis. So, dont lose hope u cant still get there!!! I am practicing for my UCAT as well and I am super panicky about how to structure my ucas personal statement since i have my biomedical science personal statement which i used in order to apply last year but i honestly have not idea what i am going to write about for my previous modules when my course starts on the 28th September and the deadline is the 15th October and how am i going to add dentistry on there as well? So if anyone can help i will be forever grateful!

Thanks for the motivation! I think imma just apply to biomed and see what further steps I can do uno. Anyways, so your a graduate reapply for biomed and is applying newly to kings for dentistry? That’s what I deduced from what you said, sorry if that’s incorrect😅
Reply 3
Original post by Gumballfan
Hey, I just wanted to start a thread for those who plan to apply for biomedical science for 2021 entry. Share stories, predicted grades, universities ...etc anything tbh. I’ll start, initially I wanted to apply for dentistry but due to my summer predicted grades (A*BB) I don’t think I’m gonna be able to apply alongside UCAT practise is not going well (and my test is next week as well..). Anyways I plan to apply for graduate entry dentistry, so for now Imma apply to biomedical science, which is calm since it’s still science at the end of the day (which I love)

oo i have the same plan (: i got into biomed at kings this year and plan to do postgrad dentistry so if u ever wanna talk about it or have questions then we totally can
Reply 4
Congrats first of all! And totally, I would really appreciate that! How did you find the biomedical science course and if you don’t mind me asking what uni did you go to study (and what were the entry requirements)?
Reply 5
ahh i think u read it wrong hhahh i got into biomed this year at kings college, but i plan on doing a postgrad afterwards. i took a gap year this year to work and retake my a levels, and i ended up with AAA but the entry req for kings biomed was ABB, but thanks!!
Reply 6
i’ll let you know how i get on though if you’d like
Reply 7
Original post by pjms
ahh i think u read it wrong hhahh i got into biomed this year at kings college, but i plan on doing a postgrad afterwards. i took a gap year this year to work and retake my a levels, and i ended up with AAA but the entry req for kings biomed was ABB, but thanks!!

Ohhhh my bad😂 but still well done and well done for taking a gap year and retaking, like that’s so ballsy! My parents would never let me lmao. Anyway, I heard postgrad dentistry is really competitive so hopefully we get in!
Reply 8
Original post by pjms

Yes please🥺
Reply 9
Original post by pjms

Can I do Biomedical science in university if I do btec level 3 extended diploma like I been searching up unis and they say you need one A-level with it at A or B grade. Would I be able to find a uni with just the btec?
Hi! I’m planning to apply for biomed, however I’m doing an access to HE course in biology and psychology, probably unlike the rest of you! Currently wanting to apply for Leeds beckett, man met, uclan, Northumbria and Liverpool John moores 😊
Original post by Mr2020c
Can I do Biomedical science in university if I do btec level 3 extended diploma like I been searching up unis and they say you need one A-level with it at A or B grade. Would I be able to find a uni with just the btec?

Honestly I’m not too sure sorry ☹️
Original post by Bebar1110
Hi! I’m planning to apply for biomed, however I’m doing an access to HE course in biology and psychology, probably unlike the rest of you! Currently wanting to apply for Leeds beckett, man met, uclan, Northumbria and Liverpool John moores 😊

Ooo what’s an access to HE course?
Ooo what’s an access to HE course?

Basically it’s a level 3 qualification done entirely by distance learning! It means I can have a full time job to fund the course - it’s not easy but it’ll be worth it in the end 😊 (if I get any offers that is!)
Original post by Bebar1110
Basically it’s a level 3 qualification done entirely by distance learning! It means I can have a full time job to fund the course - it’s not easy but it’ll be worth it in the end 😊 (if I get any offers that is!)

Sounds good, hopefully you do get offers. : )

So I'm currently doing my A-Levels and am probably expected a predicted of 4A*'s and at worst a mix of A*'s and A's. I am intrested in BIOMEDICAL ENGINEERING. Could anyone, please, tell me whether this course is worth considering or not. What are its prospects as a course, I am most intrested in genetic modification and organ harvesting stuff... is this course ideal for me considering that?
Kindly help me by sharing, anything, you know about this...
Original post by Naveed2002
So I'm currently doing my A-Levels and am probably expected a predicted of 4A*'s and at worst a mix of A*'s and A's. I am intrested in BIOMEDICAL ENGINEERING. Could anyone, please, tell me whether this course is worth considering or not. What are its prospects as a course, I am most intrested in genetic modification and organ harvesting stuff... is this course ideal for me considering that?
Kindly help me by sharing, anything, you know about this...

Wow your predicitons🤯 I’m nts about anything to do biomedical engineering but why that? I’m guessing you’ve been proposed to the idea of medicine or something, but why biomed engineering?
Hi, I'm planning on doing biomedical science!

I finished year 13 this year and I'm now having a gap year :smile: Seems like a lot of people are planning on doing medicine! I have no intention of doing medicine (I would love the science but I wouldn't be able to do clinical stuff/deal with patients lol) so I'd rather stay in the background and still learn the science ya know? I'm deciding between either a biomedical scientist or doing research after uni (I think I'm leaning more towards research atm), also deciding if I should do the BSc or Masters.

I'm currently looking at Sheffield (my top choice probably), Manchester, York, Birmingham, Warwick and Southampton :tongue:
Reply 18
did you do a levels i just started year 12 lol
Original post by Iricescent
Hi, I'm planning on doing biomedical science!

I finished year 13 this year and I'm now having a gap year :smile: Seems like a lot of people are planning on doing medicine! I have no intention of doing medicine (I would love the science but I wouldn't be able to do clinical stuff/deal with patients lol) so I'd rather stay in the background and still learn the science ya know? I'm deciding between either a biomedical scientist or doing research after uni (I think I'm leaning more towards research atm), also deciding if I should do the BSc or Masters.

I'm currently looking at Sheffield (my top choice probably), Manchester, York, Birmingham, Warwick and Southampton :tongue:

Oooo that means you’re gonna be in my year if I don’t take a gap year. How’s that going btw? Did the government mess up your grades?

And I’m also looking at Warwick, Sheffield and Birmingham !

Quick Reply

Latest