The Student Room Group

IGCSE Subjects

Im planning to self study a couple of subjects until June. Do you guys think Religious Studies (CIE) and Latin are fairly easy subjects to do in less than a year and get a decent grade in them without trying too hard? If not, can you suggest some feasible Cambridge IGCSEs i can do?
Hey! I kinda did the same thing as you. Self studied 9 igcse subjects and I can confirm that if u dedicate the right amount of time and are willing to work for it, youll be fine. I think a year for two subjects is more than enough time! Good luck xx
Reply 2
that’s incredible! can you give me some tips on navigating self studying??
Original post by TomCADON
that’s incredible! can you give me some tips on navigating self studying??

Personally I spent most of my time doing as many past papers as possible. After a while, you’ll notice a pattern in the questions and will eventually get the hang of it. I really didn’t read any of the official text books and I ONLY used ZNOTES (I cant tell you how much of a lifesaver this is). Obviously read all of znotes before attempting past papers so you actually have a brief idea of the subject. Master the mark schemes and you’ll be fine (like for physics I genuinely did not understand half the content but past papers helped me hit those keywords and got me the marks in the actual thing and I ended up w an A* somehow) And id also recommend setting yourself a realistic study timetable. And one last thing that helped me was writing down all the mistakes I kept getting in my notes app on my phone, so I could literally look at them at any time of the day till they were ingrained in my head till before the exam lmao.
check out this site called exammate
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by idklol98789
Personally I spent most of my time doing as many past papers as possible. After a while, you’ll notice a pattern in the questions and will eventually get the hang of it. I really didn’t read any of the official text books and I ONLY used ZNOTES (I cant tell you how much of a lifesaver this is). Obviously read all of znotes before attempting past papers so you actually have a brief idea of the subject. Master the mark schemes and you’ll be fine (like for physics I genuinely did not understand half the content but past papers helped me hit those keywords and got me the marks in the actual thing and I ended up w an A* somehow) And id also recommend setting yourself a realistic study timetable. And one last thing that helped me was writing down all the mistakes I kept getting in my notes app on my phone, so I could literally look at them at any time of the day till they were ingrained in my head till before the exam lmao.
check out this site called exammate

Thanks for the tips! What subjects did you take and did you take any languages (if you did, how did you prepare for them?) if you don't mind telling? I am just very anxious about the upcoming exams, so I am sorry in advance if I am being too nosy.
Thanks for the tips! What subjects did you take and did you take any languages (if you did, how did you prepare for them?) if you don't mind telling? I am just very anxious about the upcoming exams, so I am sorry in advance if I am being too nosy.

No don’t worry I completely understand! I took comp sci, English Lang and lit, bio, chem, physics, economics, French, and maths. Tbh French was one of my favorite subjects at school and I was studying it since the first grade, so while my school’s course and the igcse course were very different, it didn’t take me long to understand the igcse content (Bc I could fluently speak the lang). But if you’re planning on learning a new language, perhaps take an online course?
Reply 6
No don’t worry I completely understand! I took comp sci, English Lang and lit, bio, chem, physics, economics, French, and maths. Tbh French was one of my favorite subjects at school and I was studying it since the first grade, so while my school’s course and the igcse course were very different, it didn’t take me long to understand the igcse content (Bc I could fluently speak the lang). But if you’re planning on learning a new language, perhaps take an online course?

Oh! I am taking two languages. Russian and French. I guess I'll just get a tutor for the latter language. Otherwise, it is incredible that you studied all those yourself! What grades did you get? Did you use Znotes for English Lit as well?
Oh! I am taking two languages. Russian and French. I guess I'll just get a tutor for the latter language. Otherwise, it is incredible that you studied all those yourself! What grades did you get? Did you use Znotes for English Lit as well?

English lit was an absolute disaster for me. Nope I didn’t use znotes for it.
A*-Chem, Phys, Econ, French
A-Maths, Comp Sci, Bio
B- English Lang and lit
Reply 8
English lit was an absolute disaster for me. Nope I didn’t use znotes for it.
A*-Chem, Phys, Econ, French
A-Maths, Comp Sci, Bio
B- English Lang and lit

B is not that bad! How did you revise for it though? All I am doing right now (and I do not know if it is the correct way) is just reading the assigned prose and annotating it along the way. Same goes to English lang; what did you do?
B is not that bad! How did you revise for it though? All I am doing right now (and I do not know if it is the correct way) is just reading the assigned prose and annotating it along the way. Same goes to English lang; what did you do?

Yeah that’s what I did tbh. I also wrote a couple of practice essays and had my friends who had already done the igcse check them for me (I think this is so imp esp if u don’t have a teacher). For English Lang I spent about 3-4 weeks going over past papers and writing essays. I’m not exactly the best person to ask about english haha
Reply 10
Yeah that’s what I did tbh. I also wrote a couple of practice essays and had my friends who had already done the igcse check them for me (I think this is so imp esp if u don’t have a teacher). For English Lang I spent about 3-4 weeks going over past papers and writing essays. I’m not exactly the best person to ask about english haha

Thanks! you have settled my nerves a whole lot. I'm glad I found someone who self-studied.

Quick Reply

Latest