Loughborough University 2021 applicant thread

Watch
Becca216
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
This is the thread for people who are thinking of applying to Loughborough for 2021!

Here are some icebreaker questions:

What course are you applying for:
What other universities are you thinking of:
A level / IB / Higher predicted grades:
GCSE grades:
Extra curriculars:
Why Loughborough:

You can find a big list of all the other applicant threads here >>
StrawberryDreams Manooka
Last edited by Becca216; 1 month ago
Becca216
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi :wavey: I'm Becca

What course are you applying for: Civil Engineering with a year in industry
What other universities are you thinking of: Birmingham, Nottingham and Newcastle - not sue on my 5th one yet
A level / IB / Higher predicted grades: Haven't had mocks yet due to Corona but I am hoping for A*AAB - I do Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Geography
GCSE grades: 2x9s, 5x8s, 3x6s and an A*
Extra curriculars: I play hockey and often go cycling. I completed the Engineering Education Scheme last year as my enrichment at college.
Why Loughborough: I loved the course and the fact that they offer a year in industry. I went on a campus tour over the summer and thought it seemed a really nice place
owlknightdragon
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Becca216)
Hi :wavey: I'm Becca

What course are you applying for: Civil Engineering with a year in industry
What other universities are you thinking of: Birmingham, Nottingham and Newcastle - not sue on my 5th one yet
A level / IB / Higher predicted grades: Haven't had mocks yet due to Corona but I am hoping for A*AAB - I do Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Geography
GCSE grades: 2x9s, 5x8s, 3x6s and an A*
Extra curriculars: I play hockey and often go cycling. I completed the Engineering Education Scheme last year as my enrichment at college.
Why Loughborough: I loved the course and the fact that they offer a year in industry. I went on a campus tour over the summer and thought it seemed a really nice place
Loughborough really is a hidden gem
best of luck
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You can find a big list of applicants' threads for other unis here. :woo:
leigh2911
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey,
What course are you applying for: Chemical Engineering
What other universities are you thinking of: Cambridge and Bath, not sure on the rest yet
A level / IB / Higher predicted grades: A*A*A* In Chemistry, Physics and Maths
GCSE grades: 9888888766
Extracurriculars: Not much non-academic stuff ( boring I know ) but I use to teach and do dance and I'm really interested in wellbeing and fitness.
Why Loughborough: I found it from watching the TJ Twins youtube channel, and just fell in love with the atmosphere there, also the placement year opportunity is great and idk I just get good vibes from it and could really see myself being happy there.
owlknightdragon
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by leigh2911)
Hey,
What course are you applying for: Chemical Engineering
What other universities are you thinking of: Cambridge and Bath, not sure on the rest yet
A level / IB / Higher predicted grades: A*A*A* In Chemistry, Physics and Maths
GCSE grades: 9888888766
Extracurriculars: Not much non-academic stuff ( boring I know ) but I use to teach and do dance and I'm really interested in wellbeing and fitness.
Why Loughborough: I found it from watching the TJ Twins youtube channel, and just fell in love with the atmosphere there, also the placement year opportunity is great and idk I just get good vibes from it and could really see myself being happy there.
best of luck
Jtollerfield17
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What course are you applying for: Mathematics and Sports Science
What other universities are you thinking of: Nottingham Trent, Exeter, Bath, Durham
A level / IB / Higher predicted grades: A* A* D* in Maths, Economics and BTEC Sport
GCSE grades: A^9988887655
Extra curriculars: I play a lot of sport, my main ones are football and cricket but also play squash and hockey. Also interested in video editing and filmography
Why Loughborough: I know mates that are there and as soon as I experienced it i got a real buzz and feeling in my stomach.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
What course are you applying for: Sport Management

What other universities are you thinking of: Edinburgh, Bath, Manchester Met, Liverpool John Moores
A level / IB / Higher predicted grades: AAA
GCSE grades: 999888766
Extra curriculars: I play handball to a high level
Why Loughborough: it seems like it has a really good vibe to the place and no shame in the fact that the massive focus on sport really attracts me
Loughborough University
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It's great to hear you are all considering applying to Loughborough University! I have done both my BSc degree and MSc degree at Loughborough and have loved every minute
If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask me anything!
Ella
laurawatt
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
:excited:
What course are you applying for: Maths, (maybe with a placement year?)
What other universities are you thinking of: Oxford and Loughborough, not 100% sure on the others
A level / IB / Higher predicted grades:I think A*A*A and A in EPQ
GCSE grades: a 9 and 8x8s
Extra curriculars: Orchestra, badminton
Why Loughborough? Just seems like a nice town and is good for my subject (I also really like the course options :yep:)
Jess2056
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
What course are you applying for: International Business
What other universities are you thinking of: I have applied for: Loughborough, Leeds, Newcastle, Nottingham and Manchester
A level / IB / Higher predicted grades: I'm currently on a gap year, so I already have my corona grades: AAB
GCSE grades: 766AAABBBB
Extra curriculars: Football, Basketball, Gaming, big fan of the gym, girl guide leader.
Why Loughborough: The course looks amazing, campus looks fantastic, the gym is literally perfect, really loved the atmosphere when I had a look round.
swimmer10atkins
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Loughborough University)
It's great to hear you are all considering applying to Loughborough University! I have done both my BSc degree and MSc degree at Loughborough and have loved every minute
If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask me anything!
Ella
Hi Ella,
Just wondering if you had any knowledge on the sporting ability of people on the sport and exercise science course? I am applying for BSc Sport and Exercise Science at Loughborough but I’m aware this is a highly competitive course and as I’m not an Olympian (swim to regional level, netball at county level) I feel like I have slight disadvantage in my application to this course! Do you have any insight on this and whether it would seriously affect my application? I am able to back up my passion for the course with many other things.

Thank you for your time I really appreciate it)
Loughborough University
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by swimmer10atkins)
Hi Ella,
Just wondering if you had any knowledge on the sporting ability of people on the sport and exercise science course? I am applying for BSc Sport and Exercise Science at Loughborough but I’m aware this is a highly competitive course and as I’m not an Olympian (swim to regional level, netball at county level) I feel like I have slight disadvantage in my application to this course! Do you have any insight on this and whether it would seriously affect my application? I am able to back up my passion for the course with many other things.

Thank you for your time I really appreciate it)
Hi swimmer10atkins

The sporting level to which applicants have competed up to shouldn't matter at all. As long as you have passion for Sport and Exercise science (as you'll be spending a lot of time studying it!) and are able to show this in your application, that is what is important.

I would definitely highlight the experience you have from Swimming and Netball and maybe link your experience in these sports to different modules that you will studying in the course! It is really important to highlight why you are interested in this subject in your application, so if you are able to demonstrate this in lots of different ways, then whether you've competed to Olympic level or not should not matter!

I hope this information helps! If you have any other questions feel free to ask!

Ella
swimmer10atkins
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Loughborough University)
Hi swimmer10atkins

The sporting level to which applicants have competed up to shouldn't matter at all. As long as you have passion for Sport and Exercise science (as you'll be spending a lot of time studying it!) and are able to show this in your application, that is what is important.

I would definitely highlight the experience you have from Swimming and Netball and maybe link your experience in these sports to different modules that you will studying in the course! It is really important to highlight why you are interested in this subject in your application, so if you are able to demonstrate this in lots of different ways, then whether you've competed to Olympic level or not should not matter!

I hope this information helps! If you have any other questions feel free to ask!

Ella
Hello Ella,

Thank you so much for your reply!

That is really reassuring thank you. I really hope I manage to secure a place on the course here!

Take care and kind regards,
Leona
har!bo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
What course are you applying for: Media and Communications (with placement year)
What other universities are you thinking of: Cardiff, Newcastle, Leeds, Warwick
A level / IB / Higher predicted grades: A* AA in Italian, English literature and Music
GCSE grades: A*, 9,9,9,8,8,8,8,7,7,6
Extra curricular: Choir, Orchestra, Jazz band, Modern dance
Why Loughborough: According to their website and many league tables it is meant to be the best in the UK for this course, however I am slightly worried that I am not the sportiest person and everyone that applies there is really sporty
Loughborough University
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi har!bo, it's great to hear you're thinking of applying to Loughborough! I just wanted to quash any misconceptions around that everyone who applies for Loughborough is sporty. Although we have fantastic sporting facilities and excellent reputation, we offer so much more for non-sport enthusiasts. Looking at your extra-curricular activities, I can see that you're interested in the arts and I think LU Arts will be something you can really get involved with, we even have a free choir you can be part of. Our Students' Union is owned and managed by students and offers a vast range of clubs and societies and raises a great deal of money for charity.

If you want to get a feel for the university, do consider registering for our virtual open day, you can ask questions to academic staff and students and find out if we're the right choice for you.

Do let me know if you have any questions. Good luck!
Bindu
Loughborough University
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by har!bo)
What course are you applying for: Media and Communications (with placement year)
What other universities are you thinking of: Cardiff, Newcastle, Leeds, Warwick
A level / IB / Higher predicted grades: A* AA in Italian, English literature and Music
GCSE grades: A*, 9,9,9,8,8,8,8,7,7,6
Extra curricular: Choir, Orchestra, Jazz band, Modern dance
Why Loughborough: According to their website and many league tables it is meant to be the best in the UK for this course, however I am slightly worried that I am not the sportiest person and everyone that applies there is really sporty
Hi har!bo
It's great to hear you're thinking of applying to Loughborough! I just wanted to quash any misconceptions around that everyone who applies for Loughborough is sporty. Although we have fantastic sporting facilities and excellent reputation, we offer so much more for non-sport enthusiasts. Looking at your extra-curricular activities, I can see that you're interested in the arts and I think LU Arts will be something you can really get involved with, we even have a free choir you can be part of. Our Students' Union is owned and managed by students and offers a vast range of clubs and societies and raises a great deal of money for charity.

If you want to get a feel for the university, do consider registering for our virtual open day, you can ask questions to academic staff and students and find out if we're the right choice for you.

Do let me know if you have any questions. Good luck!
Bindu
Hellllpppp
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi I’m Emma
What course are you applying for: Natural sciences with placement year
What other universities are you thinking of: Bath, UEA and Southampton
A level / IB / Higher predicted grades:A*A*A*
GCSE grades: A9999876665
Extra curriculars: cycling, kayaking and tutoring
Why Loughborough: It seems like a place I could be really happy and it’s really high in the league tables. Also it’s the only university that does my course that I’ve actually had a tour of.
ibukunsitu
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi I'm Bukunmi
Course I'm applying for: Business, Economics and Finance
Other universities I'm thinking of: Manchester, Leeds, Nottingham
Predicted grades: AAB
GCSE grades: 9999877665
Chose Loughborough because of the course structure and I feel like it's the perfect environment for me personally and I'm really into athletics so I know i would be able to get support from Loughborough with that.
ibukunsitu
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Does anyone know where to find the reading list for business courses In Loughborough University?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (99)
13.27%
I'm not sure (32)
4.29%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (233)
31.23%
I have already dropped out (18)
2.41%
I'm not a current university student (364)
48.79%

Watched Threads