.SJ.
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hello,

I need to finalise my A-Level options by next week.

I heard about Economics A-Level and it did sound quite interesting, but I feel as though I do not have sufficient knowledge about what it is and what you study to make an informed decision about whether or not to pursue it at A-Level.

I thought about ordering an A-Level Economics textbook so that I can see what it is like- so any textbook recommendations (for any exam board since I'm just getting a feel and there are no specific ones made for my exam board) would be much appreciated....!

Additionally, if anyone could please tell me more about A-Level Economics: what you learn about, why you should take it, what you like about it, what you don't like about it, what degrees it is useful for, and anything else you can tell me about it, would all be of great use to me too.......

Thank you very much!
M.Ahmed Jamshaid
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by .SJ.)
Hello,

I heard about Economics A-Level and it did sound quite interesting, but I feel as though I do not have sufficient knowledge about what it is and what you study to make an informed decision about whether or not to pursue it at A-Level.

I thought about ordering an A-Level Economics textbook so that I can see what it is like- so any textbook recommendations (for any exam board since I'm just getting a feel and there are no specific ones made for my exam board) would be much appreciated....!

Additionally, if anyone could please tell me more about A-Level Economics: what you learn about, why you should take it, what you like about it, what you don't like about it, what degrees it is useful for, and anything else you can tell me about it, would all be of great use to me too.......

Thank you very much!
A LEVEL ECONOMICS TEXTBOOK BY GRANT is amazing.

A -level economics can be a fantastic broad subject which stimulates learning about trade, currencies, which are really enjoyable.It prepares for courses for eco, finance, business, politics and history etc. Even Oxbridge prefers this subject.
royalty1702
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by .SJ.)
Hello,

Thank you very much!
it's a good subject. It was my worst subject at a level which is why I am studying it at uni!

Just be aware that if you do want to take economics at uni please take maths (or further maths if you can) because a lot of unis require it
.SJ.
Rep:
?
Hello,

I need to finalise my A-Level subject choices over the next few days.

I originally selected Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Physics.

However, I have been doing lots of research into Engineering entry requirements at top Universities (Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial, Bristol, Glasgow, etc.) and have discovered that Further Maths is either essential or highly recommended at all of them.

I also noticed that, for Cambridge, if your school offers Further Maths and you do not take it, you could be disadvantaged in your application. I did see that 1/3 of Cambridge Engineering students do not have Further Maths A-Level- however, could this be due to the fact that not all schools offer Further Maths?

I absolutely love Biology (at GCSE it was probably my favourite and best Science), but I also love Maths, Physics and problem-solving. I have considered Medicine as a degree, but am not sure that I would want to do it (and have seen that it is possible to get into a top Med School with FM, Maths, Chem and Phys [although you can only apply to a very small number of Med Schools without Bio and it is harder]).

I really can't decide whether to drop Biology and take Further Maths instead or to keep my current options. I love Biology so much and would be sad to let it go...

Does anyone know if it is still possible / how much harder it is to get into a top Engineering course without Further Maths? - and how disadvantaged will be? (my Sixth Form DOES offer Further Maths).

Likewise, is it possible / how much harder is it to get into a top Medicine course without Biology? - and how disadvantaged will you be?

Thank you.......
.SJ.
Rep:
?
Hello,

However, I have been doing lots of research into Engineering entry requirements at top Universities (Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial, Bristol, Glasgow, etc.) and have discovered that Further Maths is either essential or highly recommended at all of them.

I also noticed that, for Cambridge, if your school offers Further Maths and you do not take it, you could be disadvantaged in your application. I did see that 1/3 of Cambridge Engineering students do not have Further Maths A-Level- however, could this be due to the fact that not all schools offer Further Maths?

I absolutely love Biology (at GCSE it was probably my favourite and best Science), but I also love Maths, Physics and problem-solving. I have considered Medicine as a degree, but am not sure that I would want to do it (and have seen that it is possible to get into a top Med School with FM, Maths, Chem and Phys [although you can only apply to a very small number of Med Schools without Bio and it is harder]).

I really can't decide whether to drop Biology and take Further Maths instead or to keep my current options. I love Biology so much and would be sad to let it go...

Does anyone know if it is still possible / how much harder it is to get into a top Engineering course without Further Maths? - and how disadvantaged will be? (my Sixth Form DOES offer Further Maths).

Likewise, is it possible / how much harder is it to get into a top Medicine course without Biology? - and how disadvantaged will you be?

Thank you.......
.SJ.
Rep:
?
Hello,

Thank you.......
.SJ.
Rep:
?
Hello,

Thank you.......
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by .SJ.)
Hello,

Thank you.......
I don't recommend Oxbridge for Engineering - the newer universities are a better prep for working in industry. You can go to a good uni with just Maths - you really need to decide between Medicine and Engineering before we can help
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by .SJ.)
Hello,

Thank you.......
If you're thinking of Medicine or something else, do something else.

Also :argh: there are no top or (by inference) bottom medical schools. All of them are GMC accredited and you will not have an advantage whether you graduated from Oxford or Auglia Ruskin, Cambridge or Keele. You can't say the same for Engineering.

For specialty training selection purposes, all medical degrees are the same and it does not matter where you graduated from. So pick according to your stats, training style (e.g. traditional vs integrated vs PBL etc.), location, student satisfaction, FY1-preparedness etc. etc but not rankings or perceived "prestige" or whether a med school is in the Russell Group or not.

Finally for Medicine A-Level queries, everything you asked here is already answered in this thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5611422 but if you have any further questions please post to that thread.

P.S. OP .SJ. you really need to stop double posting, it's against TSR rules and from your post history it looks like you have been doing it a bit...
Last edited by ecolier; 2 months ago
ajj2000
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by .SJ.)

Was that 1/3 of students who did A levels - or does it include those who took IB or AP exams/ European equivalents?
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Well TSR ate my reply so the gist of it is: just take A-level FM, if you are strong at and enjoy maths. It won't make a difference for medicine (plenty of medical schools don't require A-level Biology specifically), and will make you a better candidate for engineering, both for admissions and when you are actually on the degree (which is more important in the long run of getting good results, both early in the degree and overall, to the end of employability).
LuigiMario
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
If you love Bio then take it at A-level,
I’ve done engineering without further maths, in fact I failed my Pure & Applied Maths A-level. Russell group Cardiff was still prepared to take me for Engineering, as they proposed to teach me maths correctly. In the end I went apprenticeship/HNC/tec-route.

It’s [s e r i o u s l y] difficult to predict where your interests will take you over the next two years, so does make sense to keep your options broad. If you do eventually do med, then it doesn’t really matter where. If you do “generic Engineering” at Ox or Cam; Cam do strongly suggest FM, whilst Ox, as ever more reasonable - suggest that FM might be helpful. Goodness, what a dreary course filled with clones, if everyone recruited for these courses need to be a slave to Maths/furtherMaths and not something a bit more useful! So, hedging, choose Oxford, and put this place down instead of those posh clones in the Fens Strathclyde as ‘spare’
Last edited by LuigiMario; 2 months ago
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by .SJ.)
Hello,

Thank you.......
You've already had advice about Medicine. For Engineering, FM is strongly recommend. You can decide for yourself why some universities don't ask for it.

One general point - don't do four A levels unless you're doing Maths and FM - four, unrelated subjects, is a lot of work..
Last edited by RogerOxon; 2 months ago
161BMW
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
If u love biology that much but want to do engineering then do
Maths
Further Maths
Physics
Biology.

If you want to do Medicine you usually need
Chemistry
Biology / Physics / Maths.
161BMW
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by ecolier)
If you're thinking of Medicine or something else, do something else.

Also :argh: there are no top or (by inference) bottom medical schools. All of them are GMC accredited and you will not have an advantage whether you graduated from Oxford or Auglia Ruskin, Cambridge or Keele. You can't say the same for Engineering.

for engineering degrees there are also all accredited by the relevant engineering institutions to confirm to those standards. The engineering equivelent to GMC.
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by 161BMW)
for engineering degrees there are also all accredited by the relevant engineering institutions to confirm to those standards. The engineering equivelent to GMC.
Sure, I mean that you may be disadvantaged if you don't study at a higher ranked engineering university - since the firms hiring you are private they'll want Oxbridge grads if everything else are equal.

Perhaps my wording wasn't clear.
161BMW
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Sure, I mean that you may be disadvantaged if you don't study at a higher ranked engineering university - since the firms hiring you are private they'll want Oxbridge grads if everything else are equal.

Perhaps my wording wasn't clear.
Why does this not follow for medicine ? As some universities are harder to get into for medicine than others ?
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Why does this not follow for medicine ?
I thought we had this conversation the other day already :rofl:

For a start, NHS, being a government-run department, is a monopoly for training and a lot of recruitment is national / regional. The interviewers are therefore selecting for other hospitals and regions and not for themselves. And I have said this before - assessors do not know where you graduated from.

As some universities are harder to get into for medicine than others ?
Imperial and Cambridge have one of the lowest competition ratios... so surely they should be disadvantaged if anything.

On the other hand, UCLan / Edge Hill / Kent and Medway had the highest competition ratios for 2020/21 application and rejected hundreds / thousands of med applicants straight off. Again should their graduates be given an advantage?

The league tables are also incredibly unreliable, for example Oxford is 4th and Cambridge 6th in the Guardian's; with Imperial 15th and UCL 18th

https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...e-league-table

As I have said before, simply the culture that graduates from one med school is "better" than graduates from another just do not exist in Medicine.
161BMW
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I thought we had this conversation the other day already :rofl:

For a start, NHS, being a government-run department, is a monopoly for training and a lot of recruitment is national / regional. The interviewers are therefore selecting for other hospitals and regions and not for themselves. And I have said this before - assessors do not know where you graduated from.

Imperial and Cambridge have one of the lowest competition ratios... so surely they should be disadvantaged if anything.

On the other hand, UCLan / Edge Hill / Kent and Medway had the highest competition ratios for 2020/21 application and rejected hundreds / thousands of med applicants straight off. Again should their graduates be given an advantage?

The league tables are also incredibly unreliable, for example Oxford is 4th and Cambridge 6th in the Guardian's; with Imperial 15th and UCL 18th

https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...e-league-table

As I have said before, simply the culture that graduates from one med school is "better" than graduates from another just do not exist in Medicine.
Those unis with high “competition” prob because entry requirements might be lower so more applicants.
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Those unis with high “competition” prob because entry requirements might be lower so more applicants.
But then how do you explain then that Oxford is really competitive? It's not as straightforward.

I still don't know what measures we can use to rank graduates, if we should introduce some scheme to distinguish between "top" and "bottom" med school and their graduates. Because all measures are unfair so we may as well make them all equal!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (54)
29.51%
No - I have already returned home (23)
12.57%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (42)
22.95%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (16)
8.74%
No - I live at home during term anyway (48)
26.23%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed