Is education fundamentally linked to social class?

Watch this thread
karl pilkington
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
It is all about the middle classes the people who enter education want to be in the middle class.
Linacre52
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by karl pilkington)
It is all about the middle classes the people who enter education want to be in the middle class.
"Is education fundamentally linked to social class?" - I'm not quite sure what you are asking, I have an inkling mind but can you clarify for me please? Are you asking if education is available dependent upon class or whether attainment is linked to class? Thanks :-)
karl pilkington
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Linacre52)
"Is education fundamentally linked to social class?" - I'm not quite sure what you are asking, I have an inkling mind but can you clarify for me please? Are you asking if education is available dependent upon class or whether attainment is linked to class? Thanks :-)
How well you do is linked very much do the social class you were born into also a lot of the reason people want to do well is just because they want to get a better job be in a different social class.
Linacre52
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Hiya KarlP,

The question t the beginning of the thread - "Is education fundamentally linked to social class?" was this your question or are you just replying to it like me? Sorry if it's a bit of daft question but it's not clear on the laptop i'm using and so don't want to reply to a question you did't ask. Ta :-)
Linacre52
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
How well you do is linked very much do the social class you were born into also a lot of the reason people want to do well is just because they want to get a better job be in a different social class.Hiya KarlP,

The question t the beginning of the thread - "Is education fundamentally linked to social class?" was this your question or are you just replying to it like me? Sorry if it's a bit of daft question but it's not clear on the laptop i'm using and so don't want to reply to a question you did't ask. Ta :-)
Hiya KarlP,

Linacre52
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
How well you do is linked very much do the social class you were born into also a lot of the reason people want to do well is just because they want to get a better job be in a different social class.
Abso-chuffing-lutely unfortunately. The biggest determinant of education attainment is a child’s socio-economic background.
However, not sure about your view on changing social class. I’m from a very working class background and wanted to do well career wise to feel fulfilled, not to change social-class.
adam271
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Well. The truth if your parents never went to University your less likely to go university yourself.
I am sure there are figures somewhere to back this up.
Add that with the mean salary of people who went to university vs those who didnt.

You may well find your answer.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (30)
15.46%
The paper was reasonable (97)
50%
Not feeling great about that exam... (48)
24.74%
It was TERRIBLE (19)
9.79%

Watched Threads