Scottishlad888
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
ID Cards what do you think about the UK Government going to be bringing out ID Cards for everyone in the UK is this part of the one world order and a cashless society so they can watch everything we do and to spy on us whats your take on this matter ?
Allyson2020
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Scottishlad888)
ID Cards what do you think about the UK Government going to be bringing out ID Cards for everyone in the UK is this part of the one world order and a cashless society so they can watch everything we do and to spy on us whats your take on this matter ?
They already spying on everyone as they know your details at hmrc, when you shop online you leaving a digital footprint, paying in shops with cards instead of cash they know what you doing and for ID cards then why not because we already have ID in use with driving licence, passport and work ID's cards so why are we worrying about the government introducing a national ID card system or is it because they going to make a fortune from it and how often will we need to replace them as more money. But is it necessary for a ID card in uk while we already using ID 🙅 ?
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Mr Johnson said apparently in 2004 when ID cards were proposed by Tony Blair that he would eat his.

I would not trust anything whilst Dominic Cummings was anywhere near government. Nor given the Test and Trace fiasco would I trust them to be accurate. In any case, we have passports, driving licences and plenty of other forms of ID, so it is a waste of money I think.
Scottishlad888
Rep:
?
(Original post by Allyson2020)
They already spying on everyone as they know your details at hmrc, when you shop online you leaving a digital footprint, paying in shops with cards instead of cash they know what you doing and for ID cards then why not because we already have ID in use with driving licence, passport and work ID's cards so why are we worrying about the government introducing a national ID card system or is it because they going to make a fortune from it and how often will we need to replace them as more money. But is it necessary for a ID card in uk while we already using ID 🙅 ?
You are 100% correct we dont need any more IDs
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Since when did this idea come back? The idea of Id cards were scrapped over 10 years ago.

And to all of those deep state conspiracy theorists - yes, in theory the government can track people, but we only need to see recent terrorist attacks and people who have successfully absconded to see that in reality the government and security services have their limits.
Scottishlad888
Rep:
?
(Original post by ByEeek)
Since when did this idea come back? The idea of Id cards were scrapped over 10 years ago.

And to all of those deep state conspiracy theorists - yes, in theory the government can track people, but we only need to see recent terrorist attacks and people who have successfully absconded to see that in reality the government and security services have their limits.
On the news a few days ago Google it
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
So long as they are not mandatory i have no objection to an official form of digital ID.
Scottishlad888
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rakas21)
So long as they are not mandatory i have no objection to an official form of digital ID.
l think they will be Mandatory and they can point the CCTV in the street at your body as it will be law for everyone to carry there ID card and all your details will come up on the police computers as its the police that police the CCTV in the UK
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
On the news a few days ago Google it
Ah yes. Got it thanks!

Not going to happen!
Scottishlad888
Rep:
?
Ah yes. Got it thanks!

Not going to happen!
Do you not think it will not happen why not ?
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Do you not think it will not happen why not ?
Tony Blair tried and failed. It is the sort of idea that sounds good on paper but is like using a wrecking ball to scrunch a piece of paper.

In today's tech savy, data sceptical world I can't see the public buying it. There is also the issue that a sizable minority, many of whome are part of the problem being solved, don't have access to the internet.

Oh and the government's abysmal track record on IT procurement speaks for itself.
Scottishlad888
Rep:
?
Tony Blair tried and failed. It is the sort of idea that sounds good on paper but is like using a wrecking ball to scrunch a piece of paper.

In today's tech savy, data sceptical world I can't see the public buying it. There is also the issue that a sizable minority, many of whome are part of the problem being solved, don't have access to the internet.

Oh and the government's abysmal track record on IT procurement speaks for itself.
l agree with you on this matter
Gundabad(good)
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Great. Another thing I will have to remember to keep on myself.
Iñigo de Loyola
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I have no problem with voluntary ID cards like the Citizen cards as I understand people might want to prove their age and might not have a driver's licence.

However I will always oppose mandatory ID cards because I feel that I shouldn't need a special card to breathe in my own country.
Scottishlad888
Rep:
?
(Original post by Iñigo de Loyola)
I have no problem with voluntary ID cards like the Citizen cards as I understand people might want to prove their age and might not have a driver's licence.

However I will always oppose mandatory ID cards because I feel that I shouldn't need a special card to breathe in my own country.
Very good point
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I never quite got the objection to ID cards, considering most people already carry a driving license which is by definition an ID card..
Burridge
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Napp)
I never quite got the objection to ID cards, considering most people already carry a driving license which is by definition an ID card..
The important distinction for most people is that the purpose of a driving license is to prove your eligibility to drive. The details on it mean that by extension it acts as a form of ID, but that's not its primary purpose - unlike a dedicated ID card. I understand your point though - how important is this distinction?

A bigger issue is wether it'd be mandatory to have one, or if not, the implications (or limits) of not having one.
Last edited by Burridge; 3 weeks ago
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Burridge)
The important distinction for most people is that the purpose of a driving license is to prove your eligibility to drive. The details on it mean that by extension it acts as a form of ID, but that's not its primary purpose - unlike a dedicated ID card. I understand your point though - how important is this distinction?

A bigger issue is wether it'd be mandatory to have one, or if not, the implications (or limits) of not having one.
True say on that. It's a subtle difference but one that apparently stirs up great feelings. The fact that this question has been floating around for at least half a century rather proved the point on it. The jokes on Yes Prime Minister being a case in point for it.
I'd be interested to see if the government ever did introduce such a scheme, especially after the exceptionally expensive Labour **** up on the matter in the 2000's.
Iñigo de Loyola
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Napp)
True say on that. It's a subtle difference but one that apparently stirs up great feelings. The fact that this question has been floating around for at least half a century rather proved the point on it. The jokes on Yes Prime Minister being a case in point for it.
I'd be interested to see if the government ever did introduce such a scheme, especially after the exceptionally expensive Labour **** up on the matter in the 2000's.
As I said, some people don't have a driver's licence and need ID so things like the Citizen card are useful for that.

Mandatory ID cards, however, are very much an authoritarian idea.
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Christ, there's a lot of half-read headlines being thrown out as fact here.

The Government is proposing improving digital identification methods. That's not a step-change: anyone that's had to do stuff with HMRC etc online will have used Government Gateway which has the unfortunate characteristic of being **** and entirely user-unfriendly.

There's an argument against the government holding extensive personal data on citizens. Frankly though, that argument has been lost. So there's hardly much use objecting to systems working in an efficient way that any private business worth its salt would create for customers.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (75)
21.61%
No (272)
78.39%

Watched Threads