The Student Room Group

English Music Combined Hons

Hi - I'm looking to study English and Music combined honours for 2021
Would appreciate it if anyone has any words of wisdom studying a combined hons degree, or either of the two subjects - especially with what you said on personal statements.
I'm looking at Sheffield, Leeds, Cardiff, Southampton and Newcastle.

Original post by liladavies
Would appreciate it if anyone has any words of wisdom studying a combined hons degree, or either of the two subjects - especially with what you said on personal statements.

Hi!

I'm a current Sheffield student and I'm doing a dual degree with Politics & Philosophy. I found it a bit difficult to figure out how to split my personal statement between the two subjects but I eventually focused on each of them separately, touching on what drives my passion for each subject, how I became interested in the field and why. I also talked about some extracurriculars that were strongly related to what I wanted to study (e.g. Model United Nations conferences when talking about why I want to study Politics) to show my dedication and interest even more. Maybe try to think of some experiences or projects you've been part of and see if they're relevant to your degree and perhaps mention what you've learnt from them or how they contributed to your interest in the field. This is what worked for me, but I'm not sure if it would work for every statement.

Sadly, I'm doing neither English nor Music so I can't help you a whole lot more with the specifics, but my friend Emily is studying for a Music degree at Sheffield, so you can ask her more about it on her AMA thread here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=89536182#post89536182

If you have any more questions about what it's like to study at Sheffield, don't hesitate to ask either me, Emily, or the whole team here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=90822186#post90822186 :smile:

Andreea
3rd Year
BA Politics & Philosophy

Hi!

I am about to go into my third year of studying Music at Sheffield and am absolutely loving it!

As for the course, I like to think of a music degree at Sheffield as a sort of “design your own degree”. The degree is situated around 7 pathways which are Musicology, Ethnomusicology, Music Psychology, Music Technology, Music Industries, Performance and Composition. In your first year all the pathways are core, so you would get to sample every single pathway to find what you enjoy the most/are the best at. In your second and third years the modules are completely picked by you, so you can direct your degree in any way you wish. This is the reason as to why I picked Sheffield really! I have really found what I’m passionate about because of this system.

As for facilities, the Soundhouse is where all the practice rooms are. It is very secure as access is only available through the music student’s university cards. There are 11 practice rooms, 3 of them are bigger ones for things like band practise, I believe they both have keyboards and electric drum kits in. As for the other 8, they are all each equipped with either an upright or a grand piano. The top floor of the Soundhouse is where the studios are. These are special fob access only so you will get access to these if you take modules that require studio access. It’s all separated over 3 floors with a instrument storage room on the 2nd floor as well. All the practice rooms are easily bookable online.

Hope this gives a little insight into Music at Sheffield! Please do let me know if you have any other questions! :smile:

Emily
- 2nd Year, BMus

Hi Lila, my name is Stephanie.
I’m also looking to study this exact same degree and cannot seem to find anyone else who has applied for this course. It would be lovely to chat about where you’ve applied to / what musical experience you’ve had. The only university that I’ve applied to is Sheffield as it’s local & I would prefer to commute daily. If you’re comfortable with exchanging whattsapps, I’d love to talk.
🎶🙂
Reply 4
Original post by Stephplaysflute
Hi Lila, my name is Stephanie.
I’m also looking to study this exact same degree and cannot seem to find anyone else who has applied for this course. It would be lovely to chat about where you’ve applied to / what musical experience you’ve had. The only university that I’ve applied to is Sheffield as it’s local & I would prefer to commute daily. If you’re comfortable with exchanging whattsapps, I’d love to talk.
🎶🙂

That is so funny I'm a flautist as well! So nice to know there's somebody else out there - yes of course I'll message them through student room :smile:
The downside of doing joint subjects is that you will not be able to do all available units in each subject thanks to timetable clashes with your other subject and because you are only doing 50% of each course. This can be frustrating.

Plus side is that you have two potential career paths, and will be able to study the overlap of two arts subjects.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending