_Bumble_
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
What are the options to continue school education in Scotland if you are currently in year 13 of English A-levels? Would one need to do highers and advanced highers?
Horsesarethebest
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
If you are in year 13 you would be in S6 so you could sit either highers or AH as most people do a mixture of both. However if you want to go to an English uni I would sit AH.
_Bumble_
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Thanks for your reply. Do you not need to sit highers before you can attempt advanced highers? And how would it work if we moved in December when people in Scotland would be already halfway through the material? And can you do highers at school if you are 17 or 18?

(Original post by Horsesarethebest)
If you are in year 13 you would be in S6 so you could sit either highers or AH as most people do a mixture of both. However if you want to go to an English uni I would sit AH.
ank
SchuylerSister22
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by _Bumble_)
Thanks for your reply. Do you not need to sit highers before you can attempt advanced highers? And how would it work if we moved in December when people in Scotland would be already halfway through the material? And can you do highers at school if you are 17 or 18?

ank
At my school you have to sit your a Higher in your subject before you do Advanced Higher as AH's are quite difficult- uni level. The highers are the most important one's so maybe just focus on them? Normally we have prelims in January so I reckon you'd have to teach yourself quite a lot of the course during the christmas holdiays. And yeah you can do Highers any time after S4
Kubsyy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by _Bumble_)
What are the options to continue school education in Scotland if you are currently in year 13 of English A-levels? Would one need to do highers and advanced highers?
You can do a mixture of highers and adv highers but in order to do a adv higher you need to have higher or convince the teacher that you can do adv higher (for example music you can convince your teacher that you can play on an instrument and demonstrate to him).
Nessie162
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
If you want to apply to English universities you're gonna need 3 advanced highers and this is not something Scottish schools often offer as most of our universities only require Highers (with a few exceptions like medicine etc.). If I were you I would register as a private candidate for A-levels and do them instead as you're already familiar with the format.
A very few secondary schools in Scotland admit new people to S5/6 anyway, and most colleges don't have a good selection of Advanced highers.
chubchubbs
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Nessie162)
If you want to apply to English universities you're gonna need 3 advanced highers and this is not something Scottish schools often offer as most of our universities only require Highers (with a few exceptions like medicine etc.). If I were you I would register as a private candidate for A-levels and do them instead as you're already familiar with the format.
A very few secondary schools in Scotland admit new people to S5/6 anyway, and most colleges don't have a good selection of Advanced highers.u
If it’s of any help I know schools (and mine) who have let people do S5 when transferring from abroad and are actually meant to be in S6.
Kubsyy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Nessie162)
A very few secondary schools in Scotland admit new people to S5/6 anyway, and most colleges don't have a good selection of Advanced highers.
Not really, I’m in S6 and a German pupil (and a French pupil I think) recently joined us.
Last edited by Kubsyy; 2 weeks ago
Nessie162
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by chubchubbs)
If it’s of any help I know schools (and mine) who have let people do S5 when transferring from abroad and are actually meant to be in S6.
I also know people who had to go back a year.

_Bumble_ what A-levels are you currently doing and where do you think you want to study after?

Higher exam are "equivalent" to AS and advanced highers to A2.
There are slight differences however, highers cover some A2 content and advanced highers cover some university level content too.
I would suggest you to look at higher past papers in your chosen subjects and see if you're comfortable with the material. Then have a talk with your guidance teacher at your new school as well as other teachers.

But know finishing your A-levels is still an option. There are examination centers in Edinburgh that will let you sit the exams as a private candidate.

(Original post by Kubsyy)
Not really, I’m in S6 and a German pupil (and a French pupil I think) recently joined us.
"few" doesn't mean "all". I would also be very surprised if they were let into advanced higher courses. Not many teachers would risk that without having evidence of good grades from previous exams (not to mention the language barrier).
Last edited by Nessie162; 2 weeks ago
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Is there any way you can continue doing your A-Level with your current school or college - seems a huge waste of 1.5 years if you will have to start from the beginning when you move to Scotland... I also know that some private Schools in Scotland do offer A-Levels, so could this potentially be an option?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year will take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (64)
27.83%
Less motivated (166)
72.17%

Watched Threads