Anxka_x
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
I am in year 12 now, and I am stuck between choosing Physics and Product design for Alevels. I did well in both last year and I don’t know which one to pick. My other two Alevel subjects are Maths and Geography.

I have started looking at universities for courses such as Product Design, Product Design Engineering and Architecture (along with other similar courses). BEng/MEng courses require me to do physics but some say i should do design and technology OR physics as well as maths.

I would want to do Product Design (BA) but I know that a Product Design (BEng or MEng) will be more desirable by employers

I know that if I do Physics it would open up a lot of doors, but then I couldn’t work on a portfolio on the side as I would have no time; therefore I couldn’t do a BA in Architecture or Product Design, I could only do engineering. But if I do Product Design Alevel then it would restrict me to just Architecture or Product design (BA) and some BEng courses as they require a portfolio which I would have time to work on.

Plus after speaking to teachers and students I have found out that Alevel Physics is very difficult and would take a lot of my time away from my other subjects (Maths and Geo) which are also hard.

I am not sure what to choose, any help would be much appreciated
Last edited by Anxka_x; 9 months ago
Alice.gates
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I am a new year 12 student. I have chosen to do further maths, maths, physics and chemistry a levels. I am interested in studying engineering at university. I don’t know anything about product design but consider these two things.

What subject do you like more? ( found more interesting)

Have you thought about maybe getting work experience in product design?

Physics and maths a levels link in soo well with one another. There’s a whole section called mechanics which is taught in both of these subjects. Also I’m not sure about your college but my college recommends that if you do physics a level you also do maths A level ( if not do As level maths).

Maybe you could take all 4 a levels for a while and then drop one of them completely or just take it for As level?

Good luck with making your decision, I’m still unsure if I’ve made the right decision with taking further maths 🤷🏻*♀️
Anxka_x
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Hey, thanks for your help. I really wish I could do all 4 for like a month and then make a decision but unfortunately my school has done the timetables in a way that some of the physics and product design lessons over lap so I can’t do that. X
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (113)
27.56%
England (143)
34.88%
Belgium (31)
7.56%
Germany (41)
10%
Spain (9)
2.2%