The Student Room Group

Architecture Applicants 2021

Hi all, introduce yourself and tell us where you're applying! :hello:

University choices:
What subject(s) are currently studying?:
Predicted A2/BTEC/etc grades:
GCSE grades:
Why Architecture?: This is a question you will likely be asked at interview so it's best to get an answer together sooner rather than later!
Tell us an interesting fact about yourself?

Good luck with your applications everyone :grouphugs: For portfolio advice this thread is super useful! Check out the UCAS Applications megathread >> Here
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi. My name is Andrei, I am currently starting my final high school year and I am planning to apply to a university in Scotland in order to study architecture in January 2021 for the 2021-start. I don't really understand how the application process works for the University of Edinburgh. Is it simply based on the essay and my high school grades or do I need to present a portofolio of my work like in other universities? It would be really helpful to get a reply from anyone who knows really, be it a student, counselor or whoever might know. I am also applying for GSA, University of Strathclyde, Robert Gordon University and University of Dundee. IG: @martzyandrei
Original post by Petraru Andrei
Hi. My name is Andrei, I am currently starting my final high school year and I am planning to apply to a university in Scotland in order to study architecture in January 2021 for the 2021-start. I don't really understand how the application process works for the University of Edinburgh. Is it simply based on the essay and my high school grades or do I need to present a portofolio of my work like in other universities? It would be really helpful to get a reply from anyone who knows really, be it a student, counselor or whoever might know. I am also applying for GSA, University of Strathclyde, Robert Gordon University and University of Dundee. IG: @martzyandrei

Edinburgh application process for 2020 was simply based on your personal statement and your predicted or actual A' level grades. No portfolio was requested and a conditional offer was made.
Reply 3
Original post by BettyArch
Edinburgh application process for 2020 was simply based on your personal statement and your predicted or actual A' level grades. No portfolio was requested and a conditional offer was made.

Do you know if a portfolio is required for 2021 entry?
Reply 4
Hi looking to study architecture 2021 entry in Scotland (higher grades 4 x A - graph comm/maths/english/biology 1 x B chemistry). A bit worried I dont have an an art portfolio - Strathclyde said thats OK Robert Gordon said must have Art. Waiting to find out from Edinburgh. Glasgow school of art don't know if my graph comm work will suffice and 5th choice may be Architectural engineering at herriot watt. Ive managed to secure work experience at an architects practice in October hols - any suggest or advice much appreciated. Thanks
Reply 5
Original post by BettyArch

hi there! I’m also applying for architecture at Edinburgh and wondering if they only make conditional offers? thanks
Original post by CoolCavy

University choices:
GCSE grades:
Why Architecture?: This is a question you will likely be asked at interview so it's best to get an answer together sooner rather than later!

Good luck with your applications everyone :grouphugs: For portfolio advice this thread is super useful! Check out the UCAS Applications megathread >> Here

Hey everyone, I’m Applying for architecture at Cambridge, bath, Edinburgh, Newcastle and Nottingham. I’m predicted 4 A*s in Art, physics, maths and further maths.
where is everyone else applying?
Reply 7
hi there! I’m applying to Edinburgh, Manchester, Glasgow, Strathclyde and Newcastle

University choices:
GCSE grades:

hi guys!! i’m applying to bath, cambridge, sheffield, nottingham, UCL for architecture
i’m predicted A*A*A* in maths, chemistry and art :smile:
Reply 9
HI there everyone!!!!

I am predicted AAAB and am applying for

Nottingham
Lancaster
UCL
Sheffield
Edinburgh
Bath

Probably in that order :biggrin:
hi I'm applying for architecture at UCL, Cardiff, Bath, Edinburgh and Nottingham and I'm predicted A*A*A/A* in art, biology and chemistry :smile:)
Hey, I'm applying for architecture at Bath, UCL, Cambridge, Manchester and Sheffield. My achieved grades are A* A* A A in Biology, Art, Maths + EPQ. So bummed I won't be able to show my portfolio irl if i get some interviews :frown:
Original post by Widget02
HI there everyone!!!!

I am predicted AAAB and am applying for

Nottingham
Lancaster
UCL
Sheffield
Edinburgh
Bath

Probably in that order :biggrin:

Hiya,
I was wondering how can you apply to six schools, all through the UCAS?
Hi, I'm a student from the south coast and have applied to Cambridge, UCL, Bath, Sheffield, and am still deciding on my fifth choice (considering Edinburgh or Greenwich). I might also look at the AA but it is so expensive!!I'm currently doing Art, Maths, Physics, Music A-level and also taking an AS in further maths, predicted A*A*A*A* A. Architecture is both a career that will make me feel fulfilled about my job and also its an opportunity for me to combine the breadth of lots of different subjects (arts, culture/theory, engineering
Original post by s.jones5
Hey, I'm applying for architecture at Bath, UCL, Cambridge, Manchester and Sheffield. My achieved grades are A* A* A A in Biology, Art, Maths + EPQ. So bummed I won't be able to show my portfolio irl if i get some interviews :frown:

Hey! we're so similar, I'm applying to bath, ucl, cambridge and sheffield too, but also cardiff, and expected A*AA. I'm also super bummed I can't show my portfolio, some unis have asked for me to send over 6-8 pages pdf? it's not really enouph space to show off my work, and I'm sure, as your uni choices are similar so you're probably experiencing the same thing, how have/are you going to cram all your work in?
Original post by tatekiveal
Hey! we're so similar, I'm applying to bath, ucl, cambridge and sheffield too, but also cardiff, and expected A*AA. I'm also super bummed I can't show my portfolio, some unis have asked for me to send over 6-8 pages pdf? it's not really enouph space to show off my work, and I'm sure, as your uni choices are similar so you're probably experiencing the same thing, how have/are you going to cram all your work in?

Haha literally its so stress, already on version 1.7 for my cambridge mini portfolio thing lol. I think like you've just got to be so harsh and literally just pick the best of the best, I keep cutting pieces out to like streamline it more. Hopefully it'll be enough to get an interview and I'll be able to show a lot more then but honestly its so hard to say who knows what they are actually looking for. Bath is such a blessing to apply to cause its just a personal statement and nothing else aha
Original post by s.jones5
Haha literally its so stress, already on version 1.7 for my cambridge mini portfolio thing lol. I think like you've just got to be so harsh and literally just pick the best of the best, I keep cutting pieces out to like streamline it more. Hopefully it'll be enough to get an interview and I'll be able to show a lot more then but honestly its so hard to say who knows what they are actually looking for. Bath is such a blessing to apply to cause its just a personal statement and nothing else aha

I mean hopefully if the mini portfolio gets us through to interviews, we can showcase all of our work in full :smile: also have u got that email from ucl yet about constructing a small storyboard thing about your daily life? i got ideas for it but it's so extra and I'm gonna be stressed out to do all that within less than 2 weeks now, ouch!

University choices:
GCSE grades:

This is such a great thread. I don't know much about architecture, however I admire those who study the subject, and will make such a great contribution towards the buildings we see in the future.

@jassowal welcome to this thread.
Original post by tatekiveal
I mean hopefully if the mini portfolio gets us through to interviews, we can showcase all of our work in full :smile: also have u got that email from ucl yet about constructing a small storyboard thing about your daily life? i got ideas for it but it's so extra and I'm gonna be stressed out to do all that within less than 2 weeks now, ouch!

Ahhh yeah ive got the email, I'm really not sure what to do at all yet. I have a few ideas but its stressing me out so much lol
I'm predicted A*A*A and planning on applying to:

Lancaster, Loughborough, Bath, Nottingham

but haven't made up my mind yet on the last
one. I don't want to go to a big city university after everything that's happened this year and prefer quieter campus courses..

Quick Reply