The Student Room Group

What is the most beneficial Biochem-esque degree?

I've just started Year 13. By the end of November our UCAS applications have to be done and sent. I've still not decided what it is exactly that I want to do with my life, but I think I might want to go into a biochem related course, since I do the three main sciences and maths for a-levels. I'm predicted high grades so no unis are really off limits.

I've heard a lot of things about a Biochemistry degree being the most in demand and beneficial when it comes to job opportunites, however, would doing a chemistry, chemistry with medicinal science, pharmacology, neuroscience or other biochemistry-eqsue course be less beneficial. Personally I am more interested in learning about the brain and understanding mental illnesses anatomically and biochemically, and curing mental diseases, so a neuroscience degree would most likely be more accurate to my interests. However, I've also heard that Neuroscience is a fairly flimsy degree. Please help? Don't know what to pick lmao. Any guidance would be appreciated. Obviously if you think any particular courses are a waste of time, then point it out for me thanks.

~Chris.
I don't know specifically but I do know of someone who studied a biochemistry degree and now works in dementia research so you could probably explore neuroscience within biochemistry to a certain extent, perhaps it's worth looking at the modules at a couple of universities you're interested in and seeing if you could pick ones that suit your interests:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending