username5332452
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
I was reading on the radiation topic in GCSE physics and saw that a beta particle is a neutron that turns in to a proton and then an electron and then is instantly emitted from nucleus. But if a beta particle is negatively charged and the nucleus has a postive charge then why doesn’t it just attract the beta particles instead of emitting it as opposites attract?????
Oófie
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
During beta decay, a neutron turns into a proton AND an electron (meaning that the charges balance out) and they (not sure if both of them do, the electron definitely does) leave the nucleus at a high speed (which is why I think they're not attracted back towards the nucleus, they're going too fast). Essentially the beta particles are the electrons that are emitted from the atom because of beta decay.

Edit: Sorry reading this back it sounds bad, but I hope this helps in some way
username5332452
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
(Original post by Oófie)
During beta decay, a neutron turns into a proton AND an electron (meaning that the charges balance out) and they (not sure if both of them do, the electron definitely does) leave the nucleus at a high speed (which is why I think they're not attracted back towards the nucleus, they're going too fast). Essentially the beta particles are the electrons that are emitted from the atom because of beta decay.

Edit: Sorry reading this back it sounds bad, but I hope this helps in some way
Pretty sure both of them leave. Thanks for the help I now have a better understanding 🙏🙏🙏
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (27)
17.31%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (49)
31.41%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (15)
9.62%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (16)
10.26%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (7)
4.49%
I think it's an unfair expectation (39)
25%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.92%

Watched Threads