Applying for student finance?

Watch
hannahward08
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi everyone, I'm doing everything a little late. I was just today accepted onto a course through clearing and my next step is applying for student finance, but I had a few questions I needed some help with.

I will be applying for both maintenance and tuition fee loans. I'm 27 and currently living with my parents due to covid and losing my job etc. I've been furloughed so I've been able to financially support myself whilst living under my parents roof. When I was going through the questions on the student finance calculator to get an estimate of what I would receive, the question about how much my current household is earning is where I got a little stuck. My parents are both earning but will be unable to support me financially through university so I don't think their income is very relevant, but if I say they're earning £0 then that's false information? I'm not sure what the correct answer would be here, if anyone could shed some light that would be great!
Xarao
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The question is, what's your parents income. Not whether or not they can support you.
hannahward08
Rep:
?
(Original post by Xarao)
The question is, what's your parents income. Not whether or not they can support you.
I know. But the question implies that depending on your parents income, that will tell you how much support you will receive financially from finance. I tried the calculator with my parents income, then without, and the two answers had around a £5000 difference.
Xarao
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by hannahward08)
I know. But the question implies that depending on your parents income, that will tell you how much support you will receive financially from finance. I tried the calculator with my parents income, then without, and the two answers had around a £5000 difference.
I understand. However, last I checked it doesn't matter if your parents plan to support you or not. Although, if you want official advice from the student finance team, I'd post in SFE section of the forum or give them a call
tommy988
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yeah don't lie, as they will need evidence of the money they earn anyway so will find out regardless of if your parents support you or not, and if your parents refuse to give proof of how much they earn sfe will just give you the minimum amount
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi everyone, I'm doing everything a little late. I was just today accepted onto a course through clearing and my next step is applying for student finance, but I had a few questions I needed some help with.

I will be applying for both maintenance and tuition fee loans. I'm 27 and currently living with my parents due to covid and losing my job etc. I've been furloughed so I've been able to financially support myself whilst living under my parents roof. When I was going through the questions on the student finance calculator to get an estimate of what I would receive, the question about how much my current household is earning is where I got a little stuck. My parents are both earning but will be unable to support me financially through university so I don't think their income is very relevant, but if I say they're earning £0 then that's false information? I'm not sure what the correct answer would be here, if anyone could shed some light that would be great!
Hi!

Unfortunately, student finance doesn't work like that! You need proof of the earnings - if not you'll most likely get the minimum amount.

They don't care if you can get financial help from your parents on not. My friends got the minimum amount and they didn't get any help from their parents. Therefore they needed to get a part-time job to cover their cost of living.

Marlena - Official Student Rep
hannahward08
Rep:
?
(Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep)
Hi!

Unfortunately, student finance doesn't work like that! You need proof of the earnings - if not you'll most likely get the minimum amount.

They don't care if you can get financial help from your parents on not. My friends got the minimum amount and they didn't get any help from their parents. Therefore they needed to get a part-time job to cover their cost of living.

Marlena - Official Student Rep
Thanks for your response. I understand what you're saying. But I am completely financially independent from my parents (aside from the fact they've given me a home during covid) and they're unable to support me. But going by the calculator prediction when I include what they're earning, I would be receiving £150 less monthly than the actual cost of my monthly student accommodation rent. I know there are possibilities of part time jobs and that's very much something I plan to do, but surely the maintenance loan should be able to cover at least your rent and basic food budget? Or maybe not I don't know, that's just what I assumed. I don't know why your parents' income should be relevant when you're completely independent of their support.
elliemc24
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks for your response. I understand what you're saying. But I am completely financially independent from my parents (aside from the fact they've given me a home during covid) and they're unable to support me. But going by the calculator prediction when I include what they're earning, I would be receiving £150 less monthly than the actual cost of my monthly student accommodation rent. I know there are possibilities of part time jobs and that's very much something I plan to do, but surely the maintenance loan should be able to cover at least your rent and basic food budget? Or maybe not I don't know, that's just what I assumed. I don't know why your parents' income should be relevant when you're completely independent of their support.
I was under the impression as a mature student it's possible to apply as an independent student. I think you have to be financially independent for a certain number of years. Definitely give SFE a call.
I agree that it's stupid. Parents are expected to make up the rest, which is why a lot of people get jobs in uni.
hannahward08
Rep:
?
(Original post by elliemc24)
I was under the impression as a mature student it's possible to apply as an independent student. I think you have to be financially independent for a certain number of years. Definitely give SFE a call.
I agree that it's stupid. Parents are expected to make up the rest, which is why a lot of people get jobs in uni.
Oh okay that’s worth knowing then. When I searched online to apply as a mature student it took me to the same process as applying as a ‘normal’ student. But it would make sense to be able to apply as an independent student, that’s what I was hoping to be able to do. I’ll give them a call tomorrow then, thank you!
dangermau5e
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think if you're over the age of 25 you are considered independent in terms of student finance and are entitled to the maximum maintenance loan amount because you have no income to support you if you are studying full time. It wouldn't matter if you're still at home and even getting pocket money from your parents! At that age, in the eyes of student finance you aren't expected to be receiving financial support from them.

https://www.ucas.com/finance/student...ndent-students

2nd bullet point!
MrChill
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As someone else correctly pointed out, if you are over the age of 25 you are independent from your parents and should get max maintenance loan. If you are planning to live in uni accomodations I would apply away from home even. I applied last year as a mature student, ticked living away from home as I hadnn't lived with parents for longer than a week for a decade (until the lockdowns).

PS: Apply ASAP as it takes ages now to even log into SLC website to check anything-can only imagine how long it takes for applications to be approved due to stuff shortages at SLC (understably of course)
Last edited by MrChill; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (192)
14.26%
I'm not sure (59)
4.38%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (393)
29.2%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.75%
I'm not a current university student (665)
49.41%

Watched Threads