honeyybee889
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
so i just came into year 11 and it's alright but im ngl to you all im kinda scared. I don't know when i should start revising and studying, is now too soon? Any past year 11 people please give me advice, would be much appreciated. Any tips and advice thank you.
maddiethorp
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
definitely start now, the best thing to do is to make sure you completely know everything you're being taught. if you don't get something you learned then try to understand it and revise when you get home. don't just say "I don't get it but it's fine I'll revise it later on". then it will be so much easier when it comes to proper revision before the exams because you will only have to revise the topic, not fully teach yourself it. Also if you get all the content down, you can start revising how to structure your answers, which is literally the most important part. but don't stress, idk really how to describe myself because I was really hardworking and revised loads but at the same time it was unproductive revision and I didn't know what I was doing, even though I started revision in year 10 I only found my routine and the best way I revise a few weeks before my GCSEs but obviously couldn't do them bc of covid, so try to sort out what works best for you early on
safaahmed33
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'd say that since you've just started, you should gradually be revising like on an evening or on a weekend, if it's easier. You might also be given homework so you can balance it out. Try spending an hour a week on any subject e.g for maths doing past exam questions or revising weak topics by watching videos e.g hegartymaths, corbett maths, mathsgenie or other Youtube videos. I found this helped a lot when I was revising last year. When it comes to your mocks and by Christmas, you should definitely have a timetable dedicating a slot for each subject. Getting into a routine of doing it more regularly will definitely help you in the long run as opposed to having to cram last minute. Don't burn yourself out or do too much. An hour or two a week for one subject should be fine- reviewing your knowledge and targeting your weak areas- your school should support you with how to revise, how often etc.
It also might be helpful for you to use the Pomodoro technique of 25 minutes and then 5 minute break which you can adjust to suit you.
You might be under pressure and will not have finished all the content due to the circumstances so don't think that you need to know all the content that you haven't been taught. Teachers should go over this.
In summary, ease into it slowly and by Nov/Dec time, start getting into a more fixed routine of nightly revision.

Good luck
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by honeyybee889)
so i just came into year 11 and it's alright but im ngl to you all im kinda scared. I don't know when i should start revising and studying, is now too soon? Any past year 11 people please give me advice, would be much appreciated. Any tips and advice thank you.
Hi,

It is definitely not too soon! I regretted starting revising after Christmas as I had to revise twice as much! Think about it this way - the quicker you start then the less revision you'll have to do nearer the exam season. You will not stress as much!!

Obviously still enjoy yourself, don't just revise all the time and do not stress if you had a break from revision for a few days

Revising early makes sure you have the information in the long term memory - as you'll have to revisit the notes a few times

Marlena - Offial Student Rep
honeyybee889
Rep:
?
(Original post by safaahmed33)
I'd say that since you've just started, you should gradually be revising like on an evening or on a weekend, if it's easier. You might also be given homework so you can balance it out. Try spending an hour a week on any subject e.g for maths doing past exam questions or revising weak topics by watching videos e.g hegartymaths, corbett maths, mathsgenie or other Youtube videos. I found this helped a lot when I was revising last year. When it comes to your mocks and by Christmas, you should definitely have a timetable dedicating a slot for each subject. Getting into a routine of doing it more regularly will definitely help you in the long run as opposed to having to cram last minute. Don't burn yourself out or do too much. An hour or two a week for one subject should be fine- reviewing your knowledge and targeting your weak areas- your school should support you with how to revise, how often etc.
It also might be helpful for you to use the Pomodoro technique of 25 minutes and then 5 minute break which you can adjust to suit you.
You might be under pressure and will not have finished all the content due to the circumstances so don't think that you need to know all the content that you haven't been taught. Teachers should go over this.
In summary, ease into it slowly and by Nov/Dec time, start getting into a more fixed routine of nightly revision.

Good luck
thank you!!
honeyybee889
Rep:
?
thank you!!

(Original post by safaahmed33)

Good luck
Thank you!!
15977emily
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Maybe try joining the Y11 chat thread? I'm part of it and we all support eachother! I can PM you the link if you want
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (103)
13.32%
I'm not sure (33)
4.27%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (238)
30.79%
I have already dropped out (19)
2.46%
I'm not a current university student (380)
49.16%

Watched Threads