How do I find my style of dressing?

Watch
PeachyMilk
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hey so like the title says, I want to find my style, Im going to uni this October and I want to completely revamp my wardrobe.
I like the indie/ rock look but I am not comfterable in wearing all black, rips, heavy chains etc.

I also love the cottage core look as many people say it matches with my personality in terms of my innocence or something like that lol, but I also want that slight bit of alternative/ and indie look to it....

I adore y2k but its a bit too flashy for me, but there styles and clothes in this aesthetic that I would defo wear, like eg I know a lot of Britney Spears' (love her) outfits are associated with this aesthetic.

Im just so clueless right now, I want a style that is flashy, neat but also expressive, if that makes sense.

Any ideas?
PeachyMilk
Rep:
?
bump
Sammylou40
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You don’t need one style. Don’t look for a trend. If you like it, buy it and wear it. Create your own.
How you feel day to day will vary. So go with it.
Try vintage and charity shops for bargains and adapt things to save money.
I’m a lot older than you and don’t have one style. Some days I’m in a girly tea dress, others full on biker.
Wear what makes you happy
ThePsychKid
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
People usually don't have a particular style and just wear what's comfortable for them and what they feel they look good in. If you choose outfits based on what you're comfortable with wearing, you'll eventually come into your own unique style cuz why go with just one style or aesthetic when you can literally make your own? Be a trendsetter not a trend follower ❤️
PeachyMilk
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sammylou40)
You don’t need one style. Don’t look for a trend. If you like it, buy it and wear it. Create your own.
I’m a lot older than you and don’t have one style. Some days I’m in a girly tea dress, others full on biker.
thank you!
PeachyMilk
Rep:
?
(Original post by ThePsychKid)
People usually don't have a particular style and just wear what's comfortable for them and what they feel they look good in. If you choose outfits based on what you're comfortable with wearing, you'll eventually come into your own unique style cuz why go with just one style or aesthetic when you can literally make your own? Be a trendsetter not a trend follower ❤️
wow thank you!
SoulfulTwist
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I don't know why people think they have to have a certain style.
You wear whatever you feel like keeping in mind the situation, e.g. you are not going to wear a ballgown to uni.

Buy a range of different things that you like and think suits you, and wear them at what you feel would be suitable occasions for that particlar style.

My personal must haves
A skirt which pairs with many different tops
Jumpers/sweaters which would match most outfits
Shirt dresses, esp the neutral coloured ones which can pair with almost anything

Etc I like things that can pair with a range of other things easily and not look odd to me.
Alesha1991
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Sammylou40)
Definitely agree with this. It's always good to experiment with different outfits/ styles instead of feeling you have to conform to a particular look.
PeachyMilk
Rep:
?
(Original post by SoulfulTwist)
I don't know why people think they have to have a certain style.
You wear whatever you feel like keeping in mind the situation, e.g. you are not going to wear a ballgown to uni.

Buy a range of different things that you like and think suits you, and wear them at what you feel would be suitable occasions for that particlar style.

My personal must haves
A skirt which pairs with many different tops
Jumpers/sweaters which would match most outfits
Shirt dresses, esp the neutral coloured ones which can pair with almost anything

Etc I like things that can pair with a range of other things easily and not look odd to me.
noted, thanks for your advice
EllaRose12
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Try it on!!
EllaRose12
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Gurrrlllll I bet your style will be beautiful
Scottishlad888
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Have a walk about with your friend in your local shopping mall and see what is trending in the stores try stuff on you dont need to buy stuff on the same day
nursingstudentuk
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by PeachyMilk)
Hey so like the title says, I want to find my style, Im going to uni this October and I want to completely revamp my wardrobe.
I like the indie/ rock look but I am not comfterable in wearing all black, rips, heavy chains etc.

I also love the cottage core look as many people say it matches with my personality in terms of my innocence or something like that lol, but I also want that slight bit of alternative/ and indie look to it....

I adore y2k but its a bit too flashy for me, but there styles and clothes in this aesthetic that I would defo wear, like eg I know a lot of Britney Spears' (love her) outfits are associated with this aesthetic.

Im just so clueless right now, I want a style that is flashy, neat but also expressive, if that makes sense.

Any ideas?
would you like to become comfortable wearing all black tho? cus once you do it, you wont want to go back lol
PeachyMilk
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by EllaRose12)
Gurrrlllll I bet your style will be beautiful
awww thank you girllll

(Original post by Scottishlad888)
Have a walk about with your friend in your local shopping mall and see what is trending in the stores try stuff on you dont need to buy stuff on the same day
will do thankssss

(Original post by nursingstudentuk)
would you like to become comfortable wearing all black tho? cus once you do it, you wont want to go back lol
lol I acc don't mind an all black outfit like this
https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/505529126928022282/
Scottishlad888
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by PeachyMilk)
awww thank you girllll

will do thankssss

lol I acc don't mind an all black outfit like this
https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/505529126928022282/
lol nice leather jacket
PeachyMilk
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Scottishlad888)
lol nice leather jacket
ikrrr the outfit is super cuteeee
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (85)
21.57%
No (309)
78.43%

Watched Threads