The Student Room Group

Business A level or BTEC

Hi, I am now going into sixth form. My current choices are maths, business, law and spanish (I am a native speaker) and I am looking forward to doing an economics degree. I am not too sure about law as I don't think I'll enjoy the subject and I would much rather so geography A level instead, however my sixth form only lets me do geography A level if I change business A level for business BTEC. My first choice uni is LSE, is doing Maths, business, law and spanish better for me or should I try maths, geography, spanish and business BTEC?
If you're doing 4 subjects, I'd suggest making Business a BTEC because it will take the stress of revising (though you will have to keep up with assignments). I did BTEC Business as one of my courses and it was more manageable that A-Level Business (at least that's what I think). Plus bear in mind that if you were to get a D* for Business BTEC you will have the same amount of UCAS points as getting a A* in A-Level Business.
Law is also a very enjoyable subject, as long as you don't mind reading a bit or writing essays, its quite interesting, I did it as an A-Level. And spanish I guess you already have an A* since you're a native speaker. I am too, and I did it as an A-Level too.
Reply 2
Original post by Yahya Dar
If you're doing 4 subjects, I'd suggest making Business a BTEC because it will take the stress of revising (though you will have to keep up with assignments). I did BTEC Business as one of my courses and it was more manageable that A-Level Business (at least that's what I think). Plus bear in mind that if you were to get a D* for Business BTEC you will have the same amount of UCAS points as getting a A* in A-Level Business.
Law is also a very enjoyable subject, as long as you don't mind reading a bit or writing essays, its quite interesting, I did it as an A-Level. And spanish I guess you already have an A* since you're a native speaker. I am too, and I did it as an A-Level too.

Hi thanks for the reply. Yes I am taking 4 subjects however I am a native spanish speaker so the amount of work I'll have to put in for that is relatively low. Do you think that doing business BTEC as fourth will close doors? Because right now I am not doing any BTEC as I am not used to it. My GCSE grades were pretty good and my teacher told me it was a waste for me just to do Btec when I can do pretty well in A level aswell.
Surely being a native Spanish speaker will give you a bit of leeway and allow you to focus on your other subjects, but the choice is entirely up to you. Do you prefer learning and understanding topics to apply in exam-style questions in an exam (A-Level) or do you prefer learning and understanding topics to apply in giving scenarios by producing coursework (i.e. BTEC - which involves reports, etc.). I wouldn't say it will close doors, never, take me as an example, I did 3 BTECs (each worth 1 A-Level) and got D*s in them and I did an A-Level got an A* in it and I got a place to study at Birmingham University. So, I'd suggest you research a bit further and make a choice which suits you best.
Original post by Colano03
Hi, I am now going into sixth form. My current choices are maths, business, law and spanish (I am a native speaker) and I am looking forward to doing an economics degree. I am not too sure about law as I don't think I'll enjoy the subject and I would much rather so geography A level instead, however my sixth form only lets me do geography A level if I change business A level for business BTEC. My first choice uni is LSE, is doing Maths, business, law and spanish better for me or should I try maths, geography, spanish and business BTEC?

LSE are a very stuffy uni with a preference for traditional academic subjects. They do put both Geography and Law in this category but classify Business Studies as "non preferred".

For their Economics course they state that they prefer applicants to have Further Maths at least to A/S. So would it be possible for you to take Maths, Geography and Spanish (plus FM to A/S level)? If Further Maths is not available at your school then I suggest you swapping Business for another A level subject like Economics
Reply 5
Original post by Yahya Dar
Surely being a native Spanish speaker will give you a bit of leeway and allow you to focus on your other subjects, but the choice is entirely up to you. Do you prefer learning and understanding topics to apply in exam-style questions in an exam (A-Level) or do you prefer learning and understanding topics to apply in giving scenarios by producing coursework (i.e. BTEC - which involves reports, etc.). I wouldn't say it will close doors, never, take me as an example, I did 3 BTECs (each worth 1 A-Level) and got D*s in them and I did an A-Level got an A* in it and I got a place to study at Birmingham University. So, I'd suggest you research a bit further and make a choice which suits you best.

what btec did you do and what course are you doing at uni?
Original post by Colano03

can you help me with unit 14 please

Quick Reply

Latest