What’s it like to dissociate from reality?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Anxiety symptoms include dissociation so what does it feel like?
Anonymous #2
Report 4 months ago
It’s weird. I remember looking at my hands and they didn’t feel like they were attached to me, I didn’t feel like I existed. Everything felt really far away from me. A friend I was with said my movements were slow, though I don’t remember that bit and she was a prolific liar so who knows.

What felt like just a few minutes to me in time, turned out to be several hours. Strange times and fortunately happens very rarely for me.
ROTL94
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
This used to happen to my ex girfriend she said it felt like she was detatched from her own body and that her body didn't belong to her, like she'd hit it and wouldn't feel a thing.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Anonymous)
It’s weird. I remember looking at my hands and they didn’t feel like they were attached to me, I didn’t feel like I existed. Everything felt really far away from me. A friend I was with said my movements were slow, though I don’t remember that bit and she was a prolific liar so who knows.

What felt like just a few minutes to me in time, turned out to be several hours. Strange times and fortunately happens very rarely for me.
(Original post by ROTL94)
This used to happen to my ex girfriend she said it felt like she was detatched from her own body and that her body didn't belong to her, like she'd hit it and wouldn't feel a thing.
It’s so mind blowing and interesting how our minds make us do such things. Do you know why it happens?

I usually dissociate from reality on purpose tho so my past feels like a memory and unreal most of the time
ROTL94
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
It’s so mind blowing and interesting how our minds make us do such things. Do you know why it happens?

I usually dissociate from reality on purpose tho so my past feels like a memory and unreal most of the time
From MedicalNewsToday.com
'The exact cause of dissociation is unclear, but it often affects people who have experienced a life-threatening or traumatic event, such as extreme violence, war, a kidnapping, or childhood abuse.
In these cases, it is a natural reaction to feelings about experiences that the individual cannot control. It is a way of detaching from the horror of past experiences.
According to Mind, a mental health charity based in the United Kingdom, dissociation can be a strategy for calming down, to help a person cope in times of stress.
Neurologically, it may involve an imbalance in brain chemicals.'

Probably not the most scientific answer but it at least outlines possible causes.
Anonymous #2
Report 4 months ago

It is truly amazing how powerful the mind is. Also scary how powerful it is. I think it’s a fight or flight thing. The body’s way of protecting itself. That’s just my take on it though.

I know mine happens when I walk past parked cars alone as I had a ‘one off’ traumatic experience when I was 15 of a man blocking the pavement with his car door as I walked past his car, then attempting to grab me.
As I ran, I suddenly lost feeling of my body, fell to the floor and couldn’t make a noise. There is 15 minutes of time unaccounted for. That was my first experience of dissociation. Fortunately, I was physically unharmed by him as he sped off.

How do you do it on purpose?
username1060297
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I felt like nothing was real. There’s not a better description. You just sense it. A detachment from everything and yourself
Anonymous #1
(Original post by ROTL94)
From MedicalNewsToday.com
'The exact cause of dissociation is unclear, but it often affects people who have experienced a life-threatening or traumatic event, such as extreme violence, war, a kidnapping, or childhood abuse.
In these cases, it is a natural reaction to feelings about experiences that the individual cannot control. It is a way of detaching from the horror of past experiences.
According to Mind, a mental health charity based in the United Kingdom, dissociation can be a strategy for calming down, to help a person cope in times of stress.
Neurologically, it may involve an imbalance in brain chemicals.'

Probably not the most scientific answer but it at least outlines possible causes.
Thankss xx
It is truly amazing how powerful the mind is. Also scary how powerful it is. I think it’s a fight or flight thing. The body’s way of protecting itself. That’s just my take on it though.

I know mine happens when I walk past parked cars alone as I had a ‘one off’ traumatic experience when I was 15 of a man blocking the pavement with his car door as I walked past his car, then attempting to grab me.
As I ran, I suddenly lost feeling of my body, fell to the floor and couldn’t make a noise. There is 15 minutes of time unaccounted for. That was my first experience of dissociation. Fortunately, I was physically unharmed by him as he sped off.

How do you do it on purpose?
It’s sooo powerful wow. I agree. I think so too!!
Do you still dissociate or was that the only time?

My mental health is soo bad. I’ll overthink so much to the point Where I get a panic attack and it’s usually about the past so now my brain just makes the past seem like a dream and it feels unreal hence why I became quite careless. It’s not actual dissociation but I’m guessing it’s similar to it. Honestly idk.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Ki Yung Na)
I felt like nothing was real. There’s not a better description. You just sense it. A detachment from everything and yourself
Do you think it makes you emotionless and careless sometimes?
ROTL94
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Thankss xx

My mental health is soo bad. I’ll overthink so much to the point Where I get a panic attack and it’s usually about the past so now my brain just makes the past seem like a dream and it feels unreal hence why I became quite careless. It’s not actual dissociation but I’m guessing it’s similar to it. Honestly idk.
Also I forgot to add it can be characterisitc of several mental disorders including:
depression
schizophrenia
epilepsy
OCD
phobic disorder
PTSD
username1060297
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Can do, yes, it’s a weird experience — I’m sure it has many different forms of existence
Anonymous #2
Report 4 months ago

I still dissociate but it’s very rare. I no longer walk outside alone, to prevent it from happening.

Have you tried speaking to the GP? Everyone experiences dissociation differently, so it very may well be.
Anonymous #1
I still dissociate but it’s very rare. I no longer walk outside alone, to prevent it from happening.

Have you tried speaking to the GP? Everyone experiences dissociation differently, so it very may well be.
I’m sorry that happened to you tho and I’m glad you’re being more careful xx. Now you’re more careful, do you think you’re ready to go outside alone?

I haven’t. I don’t think I’m comfortable talking to a therapist. Have you?
Anonymous #3
Report 4 months ago
You know that depends. It could but also how do you know they are correlated. If you feel emotionless/ careless that could be due to a traumatic experience of being hurt before so psychologically you won't allow yourself to feel emotions. Sometimes even to protect yourself
Anonymous #1
You know that depends. It could but also how do you know they are correlated. If you feel emotionless/ careless that could be due to a traumatic experience of being hurt before so psychologically you won't allow yourself to feel emotions. Sometimes even to protect yourself
I think if one feels unreal in their own skin, it’ll be no shock for them to start becoming careless
Anonymous #3
Report 4 months ago
I think if one feels unreal in their own skin, it’ll be no shock for them to start becoming careless
OK, so why do you feel unreal in your own skin?
Anonymous #1
OK, so why do you feel unreal in your own skin?
I don’t like my reality and I’m scared of my past
Anonymous #2
Report 4 months ago
I’m sorry that happened to you tho and I’m glad you’re being more careful xx. Now you’re more careful, do you think you’re ready to go outside alone?

I haven’t. I don’t think I’m comfortable talking to a therapist. Have you?
Nope. I haven’t been outside alone for coming up to six years. Not even carparks. Ive tried being alone outside handful of times over the years but ended up in a rut.

I have spoken to therapists yes, I was in CBT for a while when I was 16. It wasn’t for me, but don’t knock it till you try it! There’s medication options available too.

Having poor mental health isn’t a pleasant way to live so I really recommend exploring your options
Anonymous #3
Report 4 months ago
Nope. I haven’t been outside alone for coming up to six years. Not even carparks. Ive tried being alone outside handful of times over the years but ended up in a rut.

I have spoken to therapists yes, I was in CBT for a while when I was 16. It wasn’t for me, but don’t knock it till you try it! There’s medication options available too.

Having poor mental health isn’t a pleasant way to live so I really recommend exploring your options
This response is very encouraging 👏 I think the thread starter should maybe think about it but only if they're comfortable
Anonymous #3
Report 4 months ago
I don’t like my reality and I’m scared of my past
In what sense, may I ask?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (22)
14.01%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (42)
26.75%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (65)
41.4%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (23)
14.65%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
3.18%

Watched Threads