Universal Credit and Full time studying

Watch
JacM93
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hello,
I'm hoping someone can offer some advice or guidance.
I'm a 27 year old mother of two (2yrs/4yrs), I work part-time in healthcare (18hrs/wk). My partner works full time (40) and as we are low income we receive a universal credit top up.
I am hoping to return to college this year to do a Access to higher education course so that I can go to university next year. I have a interview next week. This course counts as full time, it's 3 days a week. I'm hoping I can carry on working my hours around it.
Will our universal credit stop? I would be entitled to a loan for the tuition fees, but we rely on the UC to help with rent and food.
If I get into university next year to do the course I would like to do, I'd be entitled to a NHS 5k non repayable bursary which I'm sure would effect our UC no doubt but would it be effected this year?
Thanks in advance for any advice!
Cmrheavensss
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
When me and my partner applied for universal credit they told us that we simply were not eligible as a couple because she was at university. From what I know, university students are not eligible.However, college students can still be on universal credit as I was independently. However, I was also under 21 at the time. Apparently according to my work coach (who is new, *****ier and pissier about things than any of the 3 others I've had in the past year) you can't do a college course instead of working after this age. I was able to study full time at college without the need for working and still received universal credit.However it all depends on your circumstances. If you're only committed to working 18 hours a week and you don't need to be working full time anyway, and you think you can work whilst attending college then I don't see how it should matter to anyone else at all. But if what you're asking is can you do your course and also not seek work, then I think the answer to that question is no, as you're older than 21.Sorry for this very long poorly explained rambley answer, as I'm sure you know universal credit is ridiculous and complicated to the point that no one really knows for certain anything about it lmao, so this is just what I've heard and asked about myself.
satchef1
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Students aren't ordinarily entitled to Universal Credit. But student parents are. However, UC will assume you take the maximum maintenance loan that you are eligible for, and will reduce your benefit entitlement Proportionally based on this income. In practice, you aren't likely to be entitled to much if anything.

The exception to this is over the summer, where you may be entitled to something as your income will drop. But you have to provide UC with proof of the start and end dates of the university year. Otherwise they assume 12 months.

I get about £11k between the maintenance loan and the parental learning allowance grant. As a result, we haven't been entitled to anything since my partner came off maternity leave.
Last edited by satchef1; 2 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (2)
8%
No (23)
92%

Watched Threads