The Student Room Group

Good sixth forms in london

i am on year 11 & i am starting to think about good sixth forms to go to in london , i live in north london and don’t mind travelling.
i want to study biology, chemistry, politics & sociology:smile:
does anybody have any recommendations pls ?
Reply 1
thank you so much
Reply 2
Original post by theJoyfulGeek
The Henrietta Barnett School in Hampstead is very good academically and has a sixth form - I have a friend who goes there.
Edit - it's a grammar school.

thank you so much
they don't offer sociology btw just to let you know :smile: watford grammar does though and maybe woodhouse?

Original post by PaigeMya001
i am on year 11 & i am starting to think about good sixth forms to go to in london , i live in north london and don’t mind travelling.
i want to study biology, chemistry, politics & sociology:smile:
does anybody have any recommendations pls ?
Most schools in London are pretty good, although most of the big names are private so you’d have to pay.

Harris Westminster is a very academic sixth form in central London if that’s the sort of thing you fancy - not sure if they offer sociology though.
Reply 5
Original post by jazzj
they don't offer sociology btw just to let you know :smile: watford grammar does though and maybe woodhouse?

thank you i was already considering woodhouse :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by becausethenight
Most schools in London are pretty good, although most of the big names are private so you’d have to pay.

Harris Westminster is a very academic sixth form in central London if that’s the sort of thing you fancy - not sure if they offer sociology though.

okay ill look into it thank you :smile:
Original post by theJoyfulGeek
The Henrietta Barnett School in Hampstead is very good academically and has a sixth form - I have a friend who goes there.
Edit - it's a grammar school.

avoid at all costs
Original post by student123458r
avoid at all costs

What's wrong with Henrietta?
Reply 9
Original post by Oófie

What isn't?
Reply 10
Woodhouse College in Barnet is really good.

Went there for a Model UN debate weekend once and found it pretty decent
Original post by TJ1997
Woodhouse College in Barnet is really good.

Went there for a Model UN debate weekend once and found it pretty decent

Wait. So you don't go there, but on the basis of visiting it for an event, you're going to recommend it?

I definitely wouldn't say Woodhouse is bad. Far from it. I would say it is average to good. What you have to bear in mind is that Barnet has a lot of very middle class people and a lot of high performing schools. This leads to generally good students being in the cohorts at a place like Woodhouse - and historically (and I mean 25+ years ago) it was really highly rated. This is no longer the case, and when people say Woodhouse is excellent, this is generally a result of believing everything that Woodhouse says about itself.

The results are not really reflective of their boasts of being one of the best VI Forms in the country - and they do use a lot of snakey words and phrases when it comes to their results. Their average grade is a B-, bear that in mind given that they ask for 6s and 7s in the subjects you want to do to get in in the first place. They also have -ve value added scores which is kind of borne out in that they generally take in middle class kids with good GCSEs and turn out middle class kids with ok-to-good A levels. As far as VI Forms go, it isn't appreciably better than some rather more challenged schools in the area.

The main selling point of Woodhouse is that it is a VI College rather than a school in an upscale area, generally quite safe and with a student body that is fairly crime and trouble-averse. If you're a decent student, you should get more or less what you expect - just don't go in thinking it's a grades machine.
Original post by Trinculo
Wait. So you don't go there, but on the basis of visiting it for an event, you're going to recommend it?

I definitely wouldn't say Woodhouse is bad. Far from it. I would say it is average to good. What you have to bear in mind is that Barnet has a lot of very middle class people and a lot of high performing schools. This leads to generally good students being in the cohorts at a place like Woodhouse - and historically (and I mean 25+ years ago) it was really highly rated. This is no longer the case, and when people say Woodhouse is excellent, this is generally a result of believing everything that Woodhouse says about itself.

The results are not really reflective of their boasts of being one of the best VI Forms in the country - and they do use a lot of snakey words and phrases when it comes to their results. Their average grade is a B-, bear that in mind given that they ask for 6s and 7s in the subjects you want to do to get in in the first place. They also have -ve value added scores which is kind of borne out in that they generally take in middle class kids with good GCSEs and turn out middle class kids with ok-to-good A levels. As far as VI Forms go, it isn't appreciably better than some rather more challenged schools in the area.

The main selling point of Woodhouse is that it is a VI College rather than a school in an upscale area, generally quite safe and with a student body that is fairly crime and trouble-averse. If you're a decent student, you should get more or less what you expect - just don't go in thinking it's a grades machine.

someones got a bit of a chip on their shoulder hahahaha
Original post by sixthformapp
someones got a bit of a chip on their shoulder hahahaha

Simple question - which bit isn't true?
Original post by Oófie

just trust me on this one

Quick Reply

Latest