The Student Room Group

electronic/mechatronic/robotics engineering

I am looking at going into electronic/mechatronic/robotics engineering and was wondering which unis offer the best course for either of the three engineerings?

I was initially looking into mechanical and so was going to apply to Southhampton, Bath, Nottingham and Warwick but now I am not sure if they offer good courses for any of the three engineerings above.
I studied electronics at Southampton and I found the course to be good. One of the advantages of Southampton is that the EE/CS department is very large and can thus offer a much wider range of options than most other universities. The department has interests in almost every major area of EE so you have the opportunity to take modules in several subfields (from optics and semiconductors to digital and analogue electronics), some universities are very limited in this respect. In fact in the 2014 REF (the last REF we have results for), Southampton submitted more staff for assessment under the EE unit of assessment than any other UK university.
I don't see anything particularly wrong with the universities you listed.
Especially for Southampton I had a friend who did Mechanical/Mechatronics there and he said it was great.

Usually robotics and mechatronics are done as part of an engineering course (particularly in the electronic and mechanical engineering courses) but nonetheless, I'd suggest having a look at Lancaster, King's College (for electronic engineering), UCL, Brunel and Surrey are some I consider really good and usually are rated highly in the rankings and on student satisfaction. Also Queen Mary, Manchester, Loughborough and Heriot-Watt are good options.
Of course, the one and only, Imperial College is probably the best option but I don't know where or what you're aiming for.

Hope this helps.
Reply 3
I would say to look into the Mechatronics courses from both University of Manchester and University of Sheffield. They are both very good options in my opinion.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending