The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by A_J_B
What are your a level predicted grades?

I do not have them yet but presume they would be A*A*A* as I have not achieved anything below an A in any of the subjects mentioned. Thanks.
Original post by Henikin
Hi everybody, any advice on a starting point for my university search would be greatly appreciated. I am attempting to build spreadsheet to help me narrow down my choices and apply strategically.

GCSEs - 5x9 - (Maths, Biology, Geography, History, Religious education) 3x8 - (Chemistry, physics, English lang) 2x6 - (French, English Lit)

A levels (Achieved) - Maths A* Chem A Bio A

UCAT and breakdown- 3060 ( VR-680 DM-880 QR-730 AR-770)

SJT band- 1

Brief mention of work experience- St John's ambulance, (various online courses from 2020 including observe GP and BSMS Virtual work experience)

Any contextual or WP flags - None but attended state school. English applicant ( In case this reduces chances for Scottish universities)

The research you have done and any preferences - I would like to concentrate on UCAT universities where I have both a high chance of getting an interview and high interview to offer rate (was rejected pre interview from Birmingham, Sheffield, St Andrews and Nottingham last year with a UCAT of 2710) I would prefer a traditional or integrated course over those that do PBL.

Will my application suffer if I reapply to these unis?

Thanks for any help, it is greatly appreciated!

Consider Leicester (guaranteed interview with achieved a levels and UCAT score in top 5 deciles with SJT band 1-3), Birmingham, Liverpool, Sheffield (UCAT cutoff last year was 2740), Bristol (cutoff last year 2830), Newcastle (cutoff last year 2830), Manchester, UEA, Nottingham, SGUL, KCL, HYMS
I think St. Andrews should be ok, but they have limited RUK places.
Leicester and St. Andrews would want evidence of improvement in your application-however I would recommend emailing the med schools you applied to last year just to confirm whether they would consider reapplicants
https://www.themedicportal.com/application-guide/choosing-a-medical-school/reapplying-to-medical-school/#which
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by A_J_B
Please post a full breakdown of your GCSEs and A levels and then we can advice:smile:

Sorry!
Yes sure.

A level- A* Psychology/ A- Chemistry/ A-Biology./ A* EPQ

GCSE- 9s ( English Lan, Chemistry, Classics)//
8s( Maths, Physics, English Lit, Biology, History, Geography)/
7s( Further Maths/ French).
Original post by Charliemarwing
I do not have them yet but presume they would be A*A*A* as I have not achieved anything below an A in any of the subjects mentioned. Thanks.

AFAIK Edinburgh would be riskyif you have 3A*s predicted (with 10A*s, 1A in GCSE and 3040 band1)-several people with perfect stats were rejected last year

See Kevinyang's post below @Charliemarwing
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by wwhksj
Sorry!
Yes sure.

A level- A* Psychology/ A- Chemistry/ A-Biology./ A* EPQ

GCSE- 9s ( English Lan, Chemistry, Classics)//
8s( Maths, Physics, English Lit, Biology, History, Geography)/
7s( Further Maths/ French).

Original post by wwhksj
Thanks in advance for advice from members.

I got A* A A in my A level results recently. A* in EPQ as well.

Retaken UCAT- score 2660. SJ band 1,

GCSE- Three 9S and 6 8s.

unsuccessful application in 2021. Applied to East Anglia, Keele, Leicester, Liverpool.

Only got interview from Liverpool. was in waiting list, but finally no offer.

Taking a gap year and reapplying.

I will be grateful for suggestions about where should I apply to maximise my chances. Also reapplying to some of places from last year-- would that be not advisable?

I am really really grateful for helpful suggestion.

Leicester would guarantee you an interview with achieved a levels and an ucat score in top 5 deciles with SJT band 1-3. Consider HYMS (Band 1 advantageous), Liverpool, UEA, Plymouth, Manchester, Edge Hill.
Avoid the UCAT heavy unis like Bristol and Newcastle (cutoffs of 2830 last year)
SGUL's cutoff last year was 2620, so you are very close to it-may be risky if applicant numbers and deciles go up.
I think the unis you applied to last year would accept reapplicants-however I am not super sure about Keele so best to email all of them and clarify
@GANFYD any med schools that specifically don't accept reapplications?
(edited 2 years ago)
Hi, I really like Birmingham and I wanted to know if I have a decent chance with these stats
GCSE- 999888776
AS- 4A in Maths, bio, chem and physics
A2- A*A*A*A*
UCAT- 2510 BAND 3

I know my UCAT is kinda low so I would like to know if Birmingham focus on the UCAT a lot, and how they rank applicants to see if its not too far-fetcthed

Thanks in advance.
Original post by philip.13o+++++
Hi, I really like Birmingham and I wanted to know if I have a decent chance with these stats
GCSE- 999888776
AS- 4A in Maths, bio, chem and physics
A2- A*A*A*A*
UCAT- 2510 BAND 3

I know my UCAT is kinda low so I would like to know if Birmingham focus on the UCAT a lot, and how they rank applicants to see if its not too far-fetcthed

Thanks in advance.

What are your GCSEs in? Birmingham uses SJT as 25% of post-interview scoring so you would be very disadvantaged there
Original post by A_J_B
What are your GCSEs in? Birmingham uses SJT as 25% of post-interview scoring so you would be very disadvantaged there

9 Biology
9 Chemistry
9 Physics
8Maths
8Computer Science
8 Geography
7 English Lit
7 English language
6 Spanish
Hi, I hate to be like this but can someone please check out this post on the medic portal, I’m not sure if this is still in date, or does anyone know if I can find an updated version.

https://www.themedicportal.com/blog/apply-good-ukcat-score-2018-entry-part-one/
Original post by philip.13o+++++
Hi, I hate to be like this but can someone please check out this post on the medic portal, I’m not sure if this is still in date, or does anyone know if I can find an updated version.

https://www.themedicportal.com/blog/apply-good-ukcat-score-2018-entry-part-one/

It says for 2018 entry so it will not be updated for 2021 :smile:
Original post by A_J_B
AFAIK Edinburgh should be ok if you have 3A*s predicted (with 10A*s, 1A in GCSE and 3040 band1)
But come back when you get your predicted grades-as all of this is pure speculation at the moment

He got 3020 ucat, someone with 3040 and perfect stats was rejected before interview last year, so I think Edinburgh is risky for him
Original post by Kevinyang
He got 3020 ucat, someone with 3040 and perfect stats was rejected before interview last year, so I think Edinburgh is risky for him

Thanks for pointing out-edited
Reply 5172
Original post by Pink Unicorn
Hiya,

The meds forum may seem like it isn't organised however, This is the nature of an online community and it is not sustainable to constantly merge threads due to the number of threads created in here.

We do not tend to merge threads in other forums so we must be consistent with our approach. It does affect the new user experience if they post in the forum and cannot find their own thread due to it being merged.

Thanks
PU

I do not know the mechanism, but the organisation of the medicine forum has not been an issue until the last few weeks, so I am unclear what has changed? I have posted for 7 years and never come across this problem, at this level, before?

I am unclear the reasoning behind the insistence on consistency? Links to Youtube and external blogs are allowed in other areas of the site, yet apparently not on here. Official reps are allowed to advertise, yet others are not. Indeed, it seem Official Reps are allowed to promote off site social media groups, despite everybody else being told it is a Safeguarding issue and against the rules. If there is flexibility around what can happen in different areas on matters like these, why does there have to be consistency regarding organisation?

Do you feel it is better for a new user to have a single thread, viewed by a few people, commented on by some who have no idea about the actual answer to the question posted, or, whilst well-meaning, giving wholly inaccurate advice and misinformation, or do you feel they are better served by being redirected to a high traffic area, with multiple, experienced and knowledgeable posters to provide information? Any response will lead to an alert they can follow to find the answer (or at least, it does for me).

I am just a user, and I know which experience I would prefer. But maybe I am out of synch with the more general consensus? So back to all of you guys, you are who this forum is aimed at and trying to support - would you rather have a post re-organised to somewhere it will get a response from people like myself, ecolier, BTN, AJB, SyedN, etc etc and be seen by the largest number of people, or maintain the integrity of your own thread, with random and uncertain answers, when the question is about the content of one of the megathreads?

This is your forum, so all comments about how you feel it will be most user-friendly will, I'm sure, be gratefully accepted
@GANFYD I’m absolutely certain there are 100s of people that are going to or currently studying medicine because of yours and others advise, I agree the last few weeks have been a little crazy but the advice and medicine pages on here are a god send and life line for so many. Thank you for everything you do
Reply 5174
Original post by Keepfaith2017
@GANFYD I’m absolutely certain there are 100s of people that are going to or currently studying medicine because of yours and others advise, I agree the last few weeks have been a little crazy but the advice and medicine pages on here are a god send and life line for so many. Thank you for everything you do

Thank you :smile:
I hope that is saying that you think things have worked well in the past?
Original post by GANFYD
Thank you :smile:
I hope that is saying that you think things have worked well in the past?

Absolutely, everything was just fine!
Original post by A_J_B
AFAIK Edinburgh would be riskyif you have 3A*s predicted (with 10A*s, 1A in GCSE and 3040 band1)-several people with perfect stats were rejected last year

See Kevinyang's post below @Charliemarwing

Thanks, in that case who should apply to Edinburgh then? If people are getting rejected with perfect stats who would you say should apply?
Thanks, in that case who should apply to Edinburgh then? If people are getting rejected with perfect stats who would you say should apply?

edinburgh is only for demigods
Original post by dinomedic
edinburgh is only for demigods

Haha, it is frustrating to hear when I thought I had good stats.

The scottish students , the RUK with perfect stats and ucat more than 3100 like GANFYDS young son last year.

Latest

Trending

Trending