The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Get me! I feel so IMPORTANT now!

I have just told my husband and he said "Don't worry, I have never told anybody you are the Legendary Gandalf". Nice for a couple to share their hobbies, don't you think?? :laugh: :laugh:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 41
Original post by Interfering Mum
Thank you so much this is brilliant and he will be reading it 20 times over! I don't think he should be awful at the interview this time as he has a bit of a clue, whereas last time I think he was under the impression they were just making sure he wasn't an axe murderer! Lots of work to be done (on his part now!) but he's more than happy to work on that. We're from N. Ireland so have to consider flights and travel .. as a mum I tend to factor in wet windy Sunday nights flying into airports and trying to get a connecting 2hr bus journey lol! Thanxamil for finding this post I was sweating trying to locate it God knows where I put it -I've that many tsr windows open 😆 I'd just discovered how to find stuff and saw it on the Newcastle one! You are worth your weight in gold. I had read all the QUB website but I wasn't sure whether to take them at face value, I was being a bit more snoopy and underhand and hoping to get your gut feeling about past awful interviews when the student is green as grass! Hopefully the extra year will help as he's the youngest in his year. Again your help is invaluable and I'm totally sorry about this wayward post. I hope it doesn't mess everything up. Enjoy your weekend 😊

No, posts like this are lovely and shows that people remember we are human beings, too. It is lovely to be appreciated
Extra years always help, especially in boys, it seems!
(PS I weigh an AWFUL lot, so would need a lot of gold!)
Reply 42
My stats
GCSE 9,8,8,8,7,7,7,7,6
UCAT 2300 Band 2
Predicted A*AA
EPQ A*
I am planning to do BMAT in Nov
But I want to apply to atleast 1 UCAT university
Would Queens Belfast or Keele be an option for me ?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 43
Original post by superalt
Hello everyone. I am aware there are a lot of people awaiting advice but I would be very grateful for some advice
GCSE - 9 x 1 English Lang
8 x 4 Biology, Chem, Physics, Computing
7 x 3 Maths, English Lit, History
6 x 1 Spanish
A level - taking Biology Chemistry Maths - hoping to be predicted AAA
EPQ pending but hoping for an A
Have lots of volunteering and work experience
UCAT - 2480 SJT band 2
I go to a good selective school and am not in any widening participation/contextual categories.
I am very interested in Keele and Sunderland. I thinks the other options open to me are Kent & Medway and Aston.
Can anyone advise if these are ok? Or if there are any others I should consider given my average GCSE grades and low UCAT?
Really appreciate the help.Thanks

This is the perfect post. All info included and asked politely. Gold star to @superalt :king1:

Keele and Sunderland use their version of the PS (the R&R form), so look at the guidance for this and check you have good material. It is likely to be quite subjective
https://www.keele.ac.uk/media/k-web/k-schools/medicine/admissions/roles-and-responsibilities-form-applicant-guidance-notes.pdf
https://www.keele.ac.uk/media/keeleuniversity/fachealth/fachealthmed/pdfs/admissions/Roles%20form%202019%20draft.pdf

KMMS heavily contextualise all their applicants and do not say how, so without contextual flags, is probably not a good idea
Aston should be OK

Also look at
ARU (past cut offs 607.5, 610, 620)
Plymouth (cut off published at 600 for next year)
UEA (actually say they have been able to interview all eligible applicants in previous years, and certainly have not had a high UCAT cut off, but it is used as 50% of post interview scoring)
Lincoln (again, interviewed all eligible applicants last year, though I suspect that changed for this year, I think you should still meet their cut off)
SGUL may be a possible (past cut offs on their website)
HYMS would probably interview you, but your B2 would be a slight disadvantage post interview (SJT is around 20% of post interview scoring) but they would lower your offer to AAB with an EPQ
Reply 44
Original post by Bitooo
My stats
GCSE 9,8,8,8,7,7,7,7,6
UCAT 2300 Band 2
Predicted A*AA
I am planning to do BMAT in Nov
But I want to apply to atleast 1 UCAT university
Would Queens Belfast or Keele be an option for me ?

QUB is an option, but I make your score 30, and cut off was 32 last year. May go down a bit with re-calibrating of A* grade, but it is risky
Keel just need a UCAT over 2280 and then use their R&R form, so you are eligible, but depends on your ontent for the form
(edited 3 years ago)
I was originally considering Bristol, Southampton, Sheffield and Nottingham but I’m not sure if I meet all their requirements or if there are any others that I’m better suited for.

GCSE - 8888877777
UCAT - 2640 (avg 660) with band 2 in SJ
My school will have our mocks in a few weeks for official predicted grades but right now I’m predicted AAA

Does anyone have any advice they can give?
Thank you!! :smile:
Reply 46
hi,
GCSE's = 9 Geo, 99 Double sci, 9 food tech, 7 maths, 7 eng. lit., 6 eng. lang. and B German
Predicted A-levels = A* bio, A chem, A geo
UCAT = 2810 Band 1
VR-640
DM-700
QR-750
AR-720
SJT- Band 1
Work exp.= Within primary school, child minding, BSMS virtual, community project, plus other responsibilities including sports coaching
Extenuating/ mitigating circumstances = long term illness (all good now) meant attendance of 30% during GCSE and took first year of A levels off due to surgeries
Top 4 current choices = HYMS, Keele, Sheffield and UEA
Also considering = Leicester, Nottingham, Lincoln and Southampton
Thanks again, any help/suggestions much appreciated
Original post by GANFYD
No, posts like this are lovely and shows that people remember we are human beings, too. It is lovely to be appreciated
Extra years always help, especially in boys, it seems!
(PS I weigh an AWFUL lot, so would need a lot of gold!)

Lol brilliant craic - you give the best belly laughs! Weight seems to be creeping on over here too I'm blaming menopause or am I not allowed to say that on here 😂 Honest to God this is exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for and more besides. Just praying now for interviews. God love them all now, you can see the panic across the country and you and your team are doing your best to keep them all right. Too kind. X
Original post by GANFYD
:lol:
Have found it and answered it on the Newcastle thread (and asked ecolier to move it!)
Ask all the questions you like, they are always highly relevant and politely asked :smile:

🤗 Thanxamil
Reply 49
Original post by GANFYD
QUB is an option, but I make your score 30, and cut off was 32 this year. May go down a bit with re-calibrating of A* grade, but it is risky
Keel just need a UCAT over 2280 and then use their R&R form, so you are eligible, but depends on your ontent for the form

Many thanks for your response
Do we know when QUB will post the cut offfor this year ?
Reply 50
Original post by Bitooo
Many thanks for your response
Do we know when QUB will post the cut offfor this year ?

Hopefully before the UCAS deadline for 2020 entry
Reply 51
Original post by daeho14
I was originally considering Bristol, Southampton, Sheffield and Nottingham but I’m not sure if I meet all their requirements or if there are any others that I’m better suited for.

GCSE - 8888877777
UCAT - 2640 (avg 660) with band 2 in SJ
My school will have our mocks in a few weeks for official predicted grades but right now I’m predicted AAA

Does anyone have any advice they can give?
Thank you!! :smile:

Please read the first post of this thread for the info needed
I got a 2750 and Band 1 SJT.
VR-700
DM-750
QR-690
AR-610

IGCSEs: 6A* and 3A's with high predicted grades.
I'm applying to Edinburgh and Glasgow.
Any suggestions for the other two choices?
I like Keele, Manchester, Birmingham but I would appreciate good suggestions.

Thanks
Reply 53
Original post by OllieZ
hi,
GCSE's = 9 Geo, 99 Double sci, 9 food tech, 7 maths, 7 eng. lit., 6 eng. lang. and B German
Predicted A-levels = A* bio, A chem, A geo
UCAT = 2810 Band 1
VR-640
DM-700
QR-750
AR-720
SJT- Band 1
Work exp.= Within primary school, child minding, BSMS virtual, community project, plus other responsibilities including sports coaching
Extenuating/ mitigating circumstances = long term illness (all good now) meant attendance of 30% during GCSE and took first year of A levels off due to surgeries
Top 4 current choices = HYMS, Keele, Sheffield and UEA
Also considering = Leicester, Nottingham, Lincoln and Southampton
Thanks again, any help/suggestions much appreciated

HYMS should be OK
Keele use the R&R form, so check you have good content for that (links a couple of posts up)
Sheffield should be fine and also UEA

I make your Leicester score 52, cut off 55 this year, so probably not a good choice
I make your Nottingham cut off 44 and around 47 was needed this year to be safe
I think that would likely make the cut for Lincoln, but we have no info regarding this year's cut off yet
Southampton should be fine

You can also look at Newcastle, Bristol, Manchester, ARU, Plymouth, SGUL, Kings
Original post by GANFYD
This is the perfect post. All info included and asked politely. Gold star to @superalt :king1:

Keele and Sunderland use their version of the PS (the R&R form), so look at the guidance for this and check you have good material. It is likely to be quite subjective
https://www.keele.ac.uk/media/k-web/k-schools/medicine/admissions/roles-and-responsibilities-form-applicant-guidance-notes.pdf
https://www.keele.ac.uk/media/keeleuniversity/fachealth/fachealthmed/pdfs/admissions/Roles%20form%202019%20draft.pdf

KMMS heavily contextualise all their applicants and do not say how, so without contextual flags, is probably not a good idea
Aston should be OK

Also look at
ARU (past cut offs 607.5, 610, 620)
Plymouth (cut off published at 600 for next year)
UEA (actually say they have been able to interview all eligible applicants in previous years, and certainly have not had a high UCAT cut off, but it is used as 50% of post interview scoring)
Lincoln (again, interviewed all eligible applicants last year, though I suspect that changed for this year, I think you should still meet their cut off)
SGUL may be a possible (past cut offs on their website)
HYMS would probably interview you, but your B2 would be a slight disadvantage post interview (SJT is around 20% of post interview scoring) but they would lower your offer to AAB with an EPQ

@GANFYD - thank you for such a detailed reply. It is very helpful and encouraging. Will look into all the suggestions. Thanks!
Reply 55
Original post by imconfuse
I got a 2750 and Band 1 SJT.
VR-700
DM-750
QR-690
AR-610

IGCSEs: 6A* and 3A's with high predicted grades.
I'm applying to Edinburgh and Glasgow.
Any suggestions for the other two choices?
I like Keele, Manchester, Birmingham but I would appreciate good suggestions.

Thanks

Please read the first post of this thread for the info needed
Are you an international applicant? As I do not think we have anybody with expertise in this area on the thread at the minute
Reply 56
Original post by GANFYD
HYMS should be OK
Keele use the R&R form, so check you have good content for that (links a couple of posts up)
Sheffield should be fine and also UEA

I make your Leicester score 52, cut off 55 this year, so probably not a good choice
I make your Nottingham cut off 44 and around 47 was needed this year to be safe
I think that would likely make the cut for Lincoln, but we have no info regarding this year's cut off yet
Southampton should be fine

You can also look at Newcastle, Bristol, Manchester, ARU, Plymouth, SGUL, Kings

thanks thats very helpful
Reply 57
Would anyone be able to help me decide which unis to apply to?

GCSEs and grade breakdown: 9 - Chemistry, Biology, Physics 8 - Computing, English Language, Maths 7 - DT, History, English Literature 5 - German
A levels and predictions - A* - Maths A - Biology, Chemistry Physics AS - A
UCAT and breakdown - VR:630 DM:750 QR:730 AR:750 Total - 2860 Avg:715
SJT band - Band 3
Brief mention of work experience - Pharmacy Volunteering, Primary School Volunteering
Any contextual or WP flags : No.
The research you have done and any preferences:
Thinking of applying to Imperial, Queen Mary's, Newcastle and King's College. Wondering the likelihood of getting offers though with my Band 3 in SJT. Could replace King's College with Bristol. Feel like my UCAT is good enough to get into the interview stage for each of them tho. Also wondering if my predictions are good enough for each of my unis. Ofcourse they fit the requirements but wondering if they're good enough to stand out and be competitive. Thanks in advance for any help.
(edited 3 years ago)
Hi. Would really appreciate your thoughts ..
I’ve looked into medical schools that don’t use SJ. My ucat score 2830 but band 4. Really gutted and worried about the best thing to do. My GCSE’s are four 9s , three 8s and three 7s. Predicted A*AA in bio, chem and maths. I know that Sheffield use SJ as part of interview process which would lose me some marks straight away but do you think it would be worth applying? Would you just stick with those unis that don’t use SJ at all or try Cardiff for example. Background - voluntary work in care home, two work experience weeks in city centre hospitals. Play basketball in national league. Attend state comprehensive. Thank you in advance!
Hi,

My GCSEs: 9 (Spanish) 9 (English Lit) 9 (RS) 8 (Bio) 8 (PE) 8 (History) 8 (English Lang) 7 (Maths) 7 (Physics) 7 (Chemistry)
My Predicted A-Levels: A (Biology) A (Chemistry) A (RS)
My UCAT: 2800 Band 2
610 VR
670 DM
830 QR
690 AR

Work Experience: BSMS virtual, ObserveGP virtual, APPS UK 6 week virtual placement, Sports Ambassador for my school for a year

Uni Selection: Glasgow, Newcastle, Birmingham, UAE

Is this Uni selection balanced or realistic for my academics?

Latest

Trending

Trending