*MEGATHREAD* - The "Which Medical School Should I Apply To?" Uberthread [part 3 of 3]

Watch
Bckbnkvbjgg
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Today I got 772.5 for UKCAT but a Band 3, I got seven 9s, two 8s and one 7 - with a good personal statement where do you think I stand with Queen Mary, UCL, Birmingham, with a decent BMAT score too.
Sof77
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Thanks @GANFYD that is v helpful. Really wanted to apply to London Med schools for family reasons but feel that am restricted with my stats. What would be my best London options. Also forgot to say I have a good PS
Do St George’s release their cut of UCAT before the UCAS application. With my score of 2490 could be risky but would like to consider applying there.
becausethenight
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
This is the thread for you: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...post&t=6679038 (ecolier is likely to come and move it into there ) If you can, include your GCSE breakdown and predicted grades so people can advise better.

UCL is BMAT so depends on your BMAT.

QMUL looks at UCAS tariff and UCAT but with your very high UCAT you’ll probably be fine with A*AA predicted. They score SJT alongside your interview so might depend on how well you think you’ll interview.

Birmingham has a new scoring system so hard to say - score yourself on their website and see if your school is on the contextual schools list. Pretty sure you’ll be OK but more experienced posters may know more.
Jay7176Jay
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi,

My stats are: 99999(Biology,Chemistry,Physics, Maths and RE)888(DT,French and Geography)77(English Lit and Lang)
My current predicted:A*AA
EPQ: Hopefully A or A*
My UCAT: 2980 Band 2
VR: 580
DM: 710
QR:800
AR:890
Work experience: BSMS course, Attended GP surgery and 4 months of care home
I am planning to take the BMAT
Any ideas as to which unis i should apply to with these stats

I am thinking of: Sheffield, Leicester, Birmingham and maybe a London uni?
hbabu
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by hbabu)
Shortlisted : St. George, Plymouth, Southampton & KMMS...any other Univ where I can apply with these grades?
(Original post by GANFYD)
Need to put all your grades and all info in one post so it can be reviewed and everyone needs to remember people are doing this voluntarily, so good manners are very helpful in improving motivation to respond
Apologies, I really appreciate your and other volunteers efforts & valuable inputs for aspiring medical students.

My grades are:
GCSE: 99 888 7777 66
UCAT: 2680, SJT Band 3
A Level Prediction: A* A A

UK Student.

Shortlisted : St. George, Plymouth, Southampton & KMMS. Any chances to get i/v calls from there with these scores?

any other Univ where I can apply with these grades?
Emily5243
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Becks746)
Hi. Would really appreciate your thoughts ..
I’ve looked into medical schools that don’t use SJ. My ucat score 2830 but band 4. Really gutted and worried about the best thing to do. My GCSE’s are four 9s , three 8s and three 7s. Predicted A*AA in bio, chem and maths. I know that Sheffield use SJ as part of interview process which would lose me some marks straight away but do you think it would be worth applying? Would you just stick with those unis that don’t use SJ at all or try Cardiff for example. Background - voluntary work in care home, two work experience weeks in city centre hospitals. Play basketball in national league. Attend state comprehensive. Thank you in advance!
The medical schools that don't allow band 4 sjt are Keele, Nottingham, Lincoln, Manchester, Newcastle, ARU, HYMS, Leicester, Edinburgh, Edge Hill, Kent and Medway, Sunderland and Liverpool (I think that's all of them) so avoid these.
You're probably much better off not applying to those that use SJT. You would need a really good interview to make up for the points lost.
I also wouldn't recommend Cardiff - they have rejected people who have more A*s than you.
You could look at Bristol, Plymouth, Southampton, St Georges, Aberdeen, Glasgow, QUB, Dundee and maybe Aston

Spoiler:
Show
For Sheffield, they state on their website that they would expect a successful candidate to achieve at least 3/5 on each of the 9 stations and they first look at those with at least 3/5 in every station. A band 4 would only give you 2/5 for the 9th station so even with an amazing interview, you still might not be able to get an offer.
https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/medicine...ine-admissions
GANFYD
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Sof77)
Thanks @GANFYD that is v helpful. Really wanted to apply to London Med schools for family reasons but feel that am restricted with my stats. What would be my best London options. Also forgot to say I have a good PS
Do St George’s release their cut of UCAT before the UCAS application. With my score of 2490 could be risky but would like to consider applying there.
SGUL is your only likely London option, though ARU is not that far out?
SGUL do not release cut offs before application. You would have made the cut for the last 2 years (just), so look at deciles when they come out. It may be risky , given possible enforced deferrals for this year, so depends how badly you want SGUL and how safe your other choices are
Becks746
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Emily5243)
The medical schools that don't allow band 4 sjt are Keele, Nottingham, Lincoln, Manchester, Newcastle, ARU, HYMS, Leicester, Edinburgh, Edge Hill, Kent and Medway, Sunderland and Liverpool (I think that's all of them) so avoid these.
You're probably much better off not applying to those that use SJT. You would need a really good interview to make up for the points lost.
I also wouldn't recommend Cardiff - they have rejected people who have more A*s than you.
You could look at Bristol, Plymouth, Southampton, St Georges, Aberdeen, Glasgow, QUB, Dundee and maybe Aston

Spoiler:
Show
For Sheffield, they state on their website that they would expect a successful candidate to achieve at least 3/5 on each of the 9 stations and they first look at those with at least 3/5 in every station. A band 4 would only give you 2/5 for the 9th station so even with an amazing interview, you still might not be able to get an offer.
https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/medicine...ine-admissions
Thanks so much. Really useful. Not all is lost!
fafawf
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Would anyone be able to help me decide which unis to apply to? Not sure if this is the right place.

GCSEs and grade breakdown: 9 - Chemistry, Biology, Physics 8 - Computing, English Language, Maths 7 - DT, History, English Literature 5 - German
A levels and predictions - A* - Maths A - Biology, Chemistry Physics AS - A
UCAT and breakdown - VR:630 DM:750 QR:730 AR:750 Total - 2860 Avg:715
SJT band - Band 3
Brief mention of work experience - Pharmacy Volunteering, Primary School Volunteering
Any contextual or WP flags : No.
The research you have done and any preferences:
Thinking of applying to Imperial, Queen Mary's, Newcastle and King's College. Wondering the likelihood of getting offers though with my Band 3 in SJT. Could replace King's College with Bristol. Feel like my UCAT is good enough to get into the interview stage for each of them tho. Also wondering if my predictions are good enough for each of my unis. Ofcourse they fit the requirements but wondering if they're good enough to stand out and be competitive. Thanks in advance for any help.
GANFYD
Rep:
?
(Original post by fafawf)
Would anyone be able to help me decide which unis to apply to?

GCSEs and grade breakdown: 9 - Chemistry, Biology, Physics 8 - Computing, English Language, Maths 7 - DT, History, English Literature 5 - German
A levels and predictions - A* - Maths A - Biology, Chemistry Physics AS - A
UCAT and breakdown - VR:630 DM:750 QR:730 AR:750 Total - 2860 Avg:715
SJT band - Band 3
Brief mention of work experience - Pharmacy Volunteering, Primary School Volunteering
Any contextual or WP flags : No.
The research you have done and any preferences:
Thinking of applying to Imperial, Queen Mary's, Newcastle and King's College. Wondering the likelihood of getting offers though with my Band 3 in SJT. Could replace King's College with Bristol. Feel like my UCAT is good enough to get into the interview stage for each of them tho. Also wondering if my predictions are good enough for each of my unis. Ofcourse they fit the requirements but wondering if they're good enough to stand out and be competitive. Thanks in advance for any help.
Barts - work out your UCAS tariff and compare it and you UCAT to successful scores last year. I will say it felt a little lower than this on the threads this year, so keep an eye out for this year's stats to be released. They use SJT as about 5% of post interview scoring, so you would have to so better than others for an offer
https://www.qmul.ac.uk/smd/undergrad...ne--dentistry/
Newcastle and Kings should be OK, neither use SJT post interview
Imperial is BMAT, but I think they will offer an A* in Chem or Bio

Bristol would also be fine
Only Barts use A levels at all, beyond minimum requirements, and even that is only as part of a UCAS tariff, so nobody is going to be looking at your predictions beyond ticking a box, so do not determine if you are competitieve or not
GANFYD
Rep:
?
(Original post by Becks746)
Hi. Would really appreciate your thoughts ..
I’ve looked into medical schools that don’t use SJ. My ucat score 2830 but band 4. Really gutted and worried about the best thing to do. My GCSE’s are four 9s , three 8s and three 7s. Predicted A*AA in bio, chem and maths. I know that Sheffield use SJ as part of interview process which would lose me some marks straight away but do you think it would be worth applying? Would you just stick with those unis that don’t use SJ at all or try Cardiff for example. Background - voluntary work in care home, two work experience weeks in city centre hospitals. Play basketball in national league. Attend state comprehensive. Thank you in advance!
See the first post in this thread for the info needed
GANFYD
Rep:
?
(Original post by Diogo Mariano)
Hi,

My GCSEs: 9 (Spanish) 9 (English Lit) 9 (RS) 8 (Bio) 8 (PE) 8 (History) 8 (English Lang) 7 (Maths) 7 (Physics) 7 (Chemistry)
My Predicted A-Levels: A (Biology) A (Chemistry) A (RS)
My UCAT: 2800 Band 2
610 VR
670 DM
830 QR
690 AR

Work Experience: BSMS virtual, ObserveGP virtual, APPS UK 6 week virtual placement, Sports Ambassador for my school for a year

Uni Selection: Glasgow, Newcastle, Birmingham, UAE

Is this Uni selection balanced or realistic for my academics?
Glasgow, Newcastle and UEA should be fine

You may just have squeaked an interview at Birmingham last year (your score would have been 8.556, cut off 8.56, not sure if they used rounding!), but without contextual points, it may be a little dodgy on this year's revised scoring system, with possible reduced interviews due to deferrals from this year
GANFYD
Rep:
?
(Original post by WorriedPJmama)
Hi. Wondered if you could provide some advice. I’m a worried Mum.
GCSE - 9 (Maths, Biology, Eng Lit), 8 (Chemistry, Physics, French, Geography, Art), 7 (Eng Lang), A in Further Maths
A Levels - Biology, Maths, Chemistry, predicted AAA, also doing EPQ (not sure of predicted grade)
UCAT - 2480, SJT grade 3
Where would be good unis to consider. He’s thinking Liverpool, Birmingham and not sure of others. Any help most appreciated (hope it’s ok for mums to post)
It's fine for mum's to post (it is a mum replying!), but I do hope you are getting them to do some of the work for themselves?
Please read the first post of this thread for the info needed
GANFYD
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bckbnkvbjgg)
Today I got 772.5 for UKCAT but a Band 3, I got seven 9s, two 8s and one 7 - with a good personal statement where do you think I stand with Queen Mary, UCL, Birmingham, with a decent BMAT score too.
Please read the first post of this thread for the info needed to advise
GANFYD
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jay7176Jay)
Hi,

My stats are: 99999(Biology,Chemistry,Physics, Maths and RE)888(DT,French and Geography)77(English Lit and Lang)
My current predicted:A*AA
EPQ: Hopefully A or A*
My UCAT: 2980 Band 2
VR: 580
DM: 710
QR:800
AR:890
Work experience: BSMS course, Attended GP surgery and 4 months of care home
I am planning to take the BMAT
Any ideas as to which unis i should apply to with these stats

I am thinking of: Sheffield, Leicester, Birmingham and maybe a London uni?
Kings and SGUL would be fine
Work out your UCAS tariff and compare your stats to past successful combinations for Barts
https://www.qmul.ac.uk/smd/undergrad...ne--dentistry/

Sheffield and Leicester should be fine
All I can say about Birmingham is that you would have got an interview last year, even if non-contextual, but they have changed their selection process this year and your 7s in Lit and Lang cost you points

You can also look at Newcastle, Manchester, Nottingham, Lincoln, Southampton, St Andrews, ARU, Plymouth, UEA, Aston, Glasgow, Aberdeen, Dundee
WorriedPJmama
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi. Wondered if you could provide some advice. I’m a worried Mum.
GCSE - 9 (Maths, Biology, Eng Lit), 8 (Chemistry, Physics, French, Geography, Art), 7 (Eng Lang), A in Further Maths
A Levels - Biology, Maths, Chemistry, predicted AAA, also doing EPQ (not sure of predicted grade)
UCAT - 2480, SJT grade 3
Where would be good unis to consider. He’s thinking Liverpool, Birmingham and not sure of others. Any help most appreciated (hope it’s ok for mums to post)
GANFYD
Rep:
?
(Original post by hbabu)
Apologies, I really appreciate your and other volunteers efforts & valuable inputs for aspiring medical students.

My grades are:
GCSE: 99 888 7777 66
UCAT: 2680, SJT Band 3
A Level Prediction: A* A A

UK Student.

Shortlisted : St. George, Plymouth, Southampton & KMMS. Any chances to get i/v calls from there with these scores?

any other Univ where I can apply with these grades?
You didn't need to go that far! :lol: Just a please and thank you, is nice

SGUL, Plymouth and Southampton should be fine
KMMS heavily contextualise all applicants and do not say how, so I have no idea of what voodoo magic they use and therefore what would make a strong application

Also look at ARU, Aston, UEA, possibly Lincoln (depends on UCAT and GCSE breakdown and them releasing the cut off this year), Manchester, St Andrews, you sit right on Glasgow's cut off, Aberdeen, you are close to Kings likely cut off (though your B3 might be the clincher for you to miss out)
Lennylen628
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
St George's possibly they have a low ucat cut off
Also Plymouth and queen of Belfast
Check out Sheffield that have a lot cut off too but I am not sure if they look at SJT
goldensky
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Heyy here are my scores/grades

GCSEs: 9888887766
- English: 6
- Maths: 7
- Science: 988
A levels: I haven’t got my predicted grades yet but my target grades are AAA

UCAT: 2490 and Band 2
- VR: 550
- DM: 650
- QR: 630
- AR: 660

I’ve had a look at Liverpool, Keele, Manchester and Glasgow but realise my UCAT is probably too low for most of them so any recommendations and advice would be very appreciated!!
GANFYD
Rep:
?
(Original post by goldensky)
Heyy here are my scores/grades

GCSEs: 9888887766
- English: 6
- Maths: 7
- Science: 988
A levels: I haven’t got my predicted grades yet but my target grades are AAA

UCAT: 2490 and Band 2
- VR: 550
- DM: 650
- QR: 630
- AR: 660

I’ve had a look at Liverpool, Keele, Manchester and Glasgow but realise my UCAT is probably too low for most of them so any recommendations and advice would be very appreciated!!
Liverpool are very GCSE heavy this year, so noody knows what score is needed, but you have at least 1 6 in there, so it will drop your score a bit
Manchester need top 1/3 UCAT score - you are unlikely to make that, but check deciles when they come out
Glasgow's cut off has been 2690 the last couple of years, so again, not likely to make it

Look at ARU, SGUL, Plymouth, UEA, Lincoln, Aston.
Keele and Sunderland are options if you have good material for their R&R form
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year wil take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (30)
26.79%
Less motivated (82)
73.21%

Watched Threads