The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7980
Original post by Matilde Farinha
Hi @GANFYD and @A_J_B. I'm really sorry, I don't want to become bothersome as I've posted this a bit earlier on but I'm kind of lost here ahah - I was wondering if I could get some advice on which unis I should apply to? Any suggestions would be truly appreciated! My stats are:

GCSEs:

-Portuguese: A*

-Religious Studies: 9

-English Language: 8 (Spoken Language Distinction)

-English Literature: 8

-Biology A: 8

-Chemistry A: 8

-Physics A: 8

-Psychology: 8

-French: 8

-History: 8

-Maths: 7

A-Levels (achieved- Gap Year student):

-Maths: A*

-Biology: A

-Chemistry: A

UCAT score 2850 Band 2 in SJT:

-VR: 630

-DM: 710

-QR: 800

-AR: 710

Others:

1 week of work experience in Southmead Hospital

1 week Exeter Medical Summer School

BSMS virtual work experience

Observe GP work experience

NCS

(Not a contextual student)

I really want to apply to Glasgow and King's however, I'm scared my stats aren't good enough to at least get an interview. I was also thinking of Sheffield and Liverpool. Thank you so much for your help!

Your 4 choices seem fine.
I would say avoid Edinburgh, Exeter, Barts, Aberdeen, Dundee and QUB (unless you applied there last year or are a first time applicant).
I would also avoid Keele, Sunderland and Cardiff, as they use their R&R form and will use PS to shortlist, and that is subjective and a risk you do not need to take.
I would also steer clear of Birmingham, as they use SJT for 25% of interview scoring, so you are going innearly 10% down.
Do remember Leicester say they guarantee an interview for those with achieved grades
Reply 7981
Original post by mchen1
Hi, just hoping to get some advice! :smile:
GCSES: eng lit, maths, bio, chem, physics,history,Religious studies-9
Eng Lang, geog-8
Mandarin-A*
UCAT:3020
VR :630
DM:760
QR:760
AR:870
Band:2 (does this affect my chances for KCL?)
A level predicted:A* A* A A (maths chem bio further maths respectively)
Planning to do the BMAT
Work experience/ volunteering: 2 weeks at a hospital, 6 months volunteering at vaccination centres, various online wex, tutoring KS3 Chemistry.
(Gold Dofe, ABRSM grade 6 ISTD grade 6 bronze chemistry olympiad)
Not a contextual student.
I’m hoping to apply to Oxford, UCL , KCL (is this too risky?) however I have no clue on the 4th. I want to preferably study in london but I don’t mind as long as it’s not too far from home (I live in the south west) Anyone have any suggestions?

2 BMAT unis is risky when you will not know your score at application, especially if one is Oxbridge, as they have a very low chance of success.
Kings should be OK.

You have excellent stats, and the only UCAT unis I think you should avoid are Edinburgh, Nottingham and Exeter, other than that, you should be OK anywhere.
I would also avoid Keele, Sunderland and Cardiff, as they use their R&R form and will use PS to shortlist, and that is subjective and a risk you do not need to take.
Original post by GANFYD
Your 4 choices seem fine.
I would say avoid Edinburgh, Exeter, Barts, Aberdeen, Dundee and QUB (unless you applied there last year or are a first time applicant).
I would also steer clear of Birmingham, as they use SJT for 25% of interview scoring, so you are going innearly 10% down.
Do remember Leicester say they guarantee an interview for those with achieved grades

Thank you so much @GANFYD, I didn't know that I could get a guaranteed interview at Leicester so that's a great help! :biggrin:
Hi! I would like some advice about what medical schools to apply to.
These are my stats:
10 A*s and 1 A in my GCSEs
Predicted A*A*A*
UCAT score of 2820 Band 2
I was thinking of applying to Birmingham, Cardiff, Liverpool and possibly Kings too?
Do you think there are suitable choices?
Original post by GANFYD
2 BMAT unis is risky when you will not know your score at application, especially if one is Oxbridge, as they have a very low chance of success.
Kings should be OK.

You have excellent stats, and the only UCAT unis I think you should avoid are Edinburgh, Nottingham and Exeter, other than that, you should be OK anywhere.

Thanks for the advice!
Original post by yara56394484
Hi! I would like some advice about what medical schools to apply to.
These are my stats:
10 A*s and 1 A in my GCSEs
Predicted A*A*A*
UCAT score of 2820 Band 2
I was thinking of applying to Birmingham, Cardiff, Liverpool and possibly Kings too?
Do you think there are suitable choices?

Cardiff has rejected people with 27/27 in the past, so make sure you tailor your PS to their requirements
Liverpool would be fine
KCL would be ok as well
For Birmingham I make your score to be about 7.6 (I can't give you an exact number as I don't know what your A is in, but a score of 7.5+ should be safe) https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/schools/medical-school/applying-to-medicine/selection-for-interview.aspx. However, your band 2 would disadvantage you post-interview as SJT is used for 25 percent of post interview scoring.

Also look at Leicester, Manchester, UEA, Plymouth, Exeter, SGUL, Southampton, ARU, Aston, Sheffield

HYMS is likely to interview you but they use SJT for 25% of post-interview scoring

Avoid Bristol, Newcastle, Nottingham
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Shaghayegh.sk
on their website it says 6 in eng! :frown:

I swear I checked this morning and it said a 4 in eng lang
https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/2022/medicine-mbchb#entryreqs
Screenshot 2021-09-12 at 23.14.07.png
Reply 7987
Original post by turkeydinosaur16
I swear I checked this morning and it said a 4 in eng lang
https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/2022/medicine-mbchb#entryreqs
Screenshot 2021-09-12 at 23.14.07.png

UK applicants need a 6, a 4 is taken as meeting Eng Lang requirements, I think

Home applicants must hold a Grade 6 (Grade B) or higher at GCSE English Language. Home applicants holding iGCSE English as a Second Language or Edexcel iGCSE English Language B are required to hold a Grade 6 (Grade B) or higher. Alternatively, the English Language requirement can be met by holding a Grade B or higher in SQA Higher English, a Grade B or higher in Advanced Higher English or a Grade B or higher at A Level in English Language;

For International applicants, the grade required depends on the qualifications taken and the examining body. For more information, please see the University Guidance (see the third table at the link below, titled "UK Qualifications") for details of the required grades for various GCSE and iGCSE English Language Qualifications. Note that we will require grades equivalent to those required from Home applicants, as above.
GCSe
9: bio, Chem, phy, maths, re
8:geo, tech
7: eng Lang, astronomy
6: eng lit, Spanish

Alevel predicted grades
Math A*, bio A, Chem A
EPQ : still awaiting

UKAT:
630 with band 2 in SJ
Overall 2530

Work experience
Gp surgery 1 week
Ongoing at the vaccine center
Helping with food charity occasional
Online virtual work experiences
Cricket club once a week with junior school kids including special needs kids.

Kindly guide which uni to apply.
Feeling really low
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Malnas
GCSe
9: bio, Chem, phy, maths, re
8:geo, tech
7: eng Lang, astronomy
6: eng lit, Spanish

Alevel predicted grades
Math A*, bio A, Chem A
EPQ : still awaiting

UKAT:
630 with band 2 in SJ
Overall 2530

Work experience
Gp surgery 1 week
Ongoing at the vaccine center
Helping with food charity occasional
Online virtual work experiences
Cricket club once a week with junior school kids including special needs kids.

Kindly guide which uni to apply.
Feeling really low

You have achieved impressive stats, be proud! Applying strategically, you should secure interviews. The advice from the amazing volunteers here will hopefully encourage and uplift you x
Original post by GANFYD
We are not grad experts on this thread, I'm afraid, so you are going to need to contact the med schools and ask, if it is not specified on their websites.
You could try asking on the Grad threads, but I doubt anyone will know for all of them

Any advice on the Trad course side with those stats?
Original post by GANFYD
Most of them are city based (Sheffield is pretty citified!), but some have easy access to the countryside.
UEA is quieter, Southampton, HYMS is 2 smaller cities, Leicester, Nottingham, Lincoln is lovely, Belfast. Depends what you are after?
Manchester and Liverpool are big cities, but you can get out of them pretty easily to some lovely scenery

Google some of the cities they are in and see what you come up with. Or narrow it down by area of the country, course type, etc

Thank you!! I just went to Sheffield yesterday and I absolutely love it! But talking to a staff member there there, I'm now wondering whether it's worth it to do an EPQ? I know my stats aren't too high from all of the above, but I was wondering if I could do without it so I could focus on my grades instead. I have about a week to decide whether I want to drop it or not and after that week, I can't drop it.

The places I'm thinking of applying to are places like Sheffield, Liverpool, HYMS and maybe Nottingham/Leicester?
Original post by wubbamaster55
hi I think Nottingham is a bit risky as they put emphasis on vr score

okay. what about the others? any idea how safe i am? could you recommend what i should choose instead of nottingham?
I am slightly confused about something and would like some help. for WAMS at ARU, it says that applicants must have predicted grades matching or exceeding the WAMS conditional offer of ABB. I am eligible for WAMS but I have achieved grades of AAB. would this mean I can apply without needing to resit and move up the B?
@GANFYD @A_J_B
(edited 2 years ago)
UCAT 2750 B3
Are these good choices to apply to? (Scottish gap year applicant) : Glasgow, Dundee, Aberdeen, SGUL

Nat 5: 7 As
Highers: 5 As
Advanced Highers: 3As

No contextual flags.

Good PS, plenty of in person hospital work experience, volunteering and extracurriculars

Many thanks
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by AliceKS
GCSEs and grade breakdown:
Seven 9s - Maths, Further Maths, Bio, Chem, Physics, Computer Science, Religious Studies
Four 8s - English Lit, English Lang, Latin, History

A levels and predictions:
A*A*A - Maths, Chem, Bio (A)
EPQ but no prediction yet

UCAT and breakdown:
VR: 710
DM:680
QR: 700
AR: 750
Total: 2840
SJT band: Band 2

Brief mention of work experience: 3 days in GP, volunteering at vaccine clinic at local hospital since April, BSMS, MedicMentor/Queen Elizabeth hospital,
Any contextual or WP flags: my school is contextual for Bristol. During my UCAT, the plus and enter on the numberpad on the keyboard stopped working during my QR with 8 mins to go so I raised it with the invigilator who brought in the manager/overseer (:dontknow:) and I explained what was going on. She suggested a couple of things which I had already tried and then tried to suggest that I wasn't supposed to be using the keypad! When I turned my focus back to my screen, I had 30 seconds left of QR max. I am calling Pearson tomorrow to report/appeal the incident. I know this might be unprecedented but I don't know whether I can still apply to King's if UCAT offices leave a note explaining what happened. I don't really want to retake the whole exam as I have lost the momentum of my revision. TSR gods please help :smile:

The research you have done and any preferences: Atm I like the look of King's, Cardiff and Sheffield. I am doing the BMAT to take a punt at Oxford as well so don't mind any BMAT unis but it is a bit risky as applying blind so trying to keep it to one BMAT uni. I'd like to do some cadaveric dissection but this isn't crucial at all!
Edit: I realise that most of the med schools I'm interested in are GCSE-heavy and I'm banking on the fact that I think I have good GCSEs but most applicants probably have great GCSEs as well so I'm probably nothing special :frown:

Thanks in advance to all volunteers on here:smile:

@GANFYD @A_J_B @becausethenight
I have decided upon 3/4 choices, can you advise on the suitability of these 3 and possibly suggest a safe 4th. Many thanks
Oxford, King's and St George's
I'm not that keen on the PBL style course and Southampton haven't got back to me about their creative project in the first year
Original post by AliceKS
@GANFYD @A_J_B @becausethenight
I have decided upon 3/4 choices, can you advise on the suitability of these 3 and possibly suggest a safe 4th. Many thanks
Oxford, King's and St George's
I'm not that keen on the PBL style course and Southampton haven't got back to me about their creative project in the first year

I think those 3 should be ok (I think Oxford considers both 9s and 8s as an A*). You are well above SGUL's cutoff and your UCAT would be ok for KCL

Could look at Leicester, Birmingham (only 10% PBL, but band 2 disadvantageous post-interview), Sheffield, Liverpool, Manchester ((PBL), ARU, Aston, UEA.
HYMS would be fine for an interview but SJT is used for 10% of post-interview scoring
Hi there! I have been stalking this thread for the past couple of weeks, and was wondering if I could get some advice on my preferences

GCSEs
9s - Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths, French, English Language, English Literature, History, Business, Psychology

A Levels (Predicted)
A*A*A*A* in Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths

UCAT
VR: 650
DM: 650
QR: 740
AR: 760
2790 B1

Preferences
UCL - obviously haven’t done the BMAT yet, but was wondering if you knew what kind of score i would need in BMAT to get an interview/offer
KCL - top choice but i’m unsure if my UCAT is high enough, and am aware that if falls slightly short of the average offer holder last year
Barts - also unsure if UCAT is high enough, but am hoping that GCSEs and predicted grades will make up for that
Birmingham - using the calculator, my score is 8.422 (including contextual information) so am
going to apply there
- Any suggestions on other unis I could apply to?

I was also wondering if anyone knew which universities accept medicine personal statements for biomedical courses because i am not sure what to put as my 5th choice, and want something I actually have a chance of getting into.

Thank you!
@GANFYD @A_J_B
hi there, i just wanted to ask if i apply to sunderland what does the r+r form consist of, and what do i have to include in it to make sure i can have a high chance of an interview?
Thanks a lot for your help, it means a lot to us
take care :smile:
Original post by GANFYD
Any of those would be fine. He should choose the one he likes the best :smile:

Thank you so much :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending