AQA Biology 2016 AS-Level Question

Watch this thread
User148
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi,

I'm stuck on question 9: https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/sample-...2-QP-JUN16.PDF

9. Table 1 shows the volume of blood in a woman’s left ventricle at different times during one second.
Table 1
Time / seconds Volume of blood in left
ventricle / cm3
0.0 112
0.1 120
0.2 95
0.3 65
0.4 50
0.5 55
0.6 82
0.7 90
0.8 100
0.9 112
1.0 120

0 9 . 1 Use Table 1 to calculate the heart rate in beats per minute.
Tick () one box next to the correct answer.
[1 mark]

0 9 . 2 The stroke volume is the volume of blood pumped out of the left ventricle during
one cardiac cycle.
Use Table 1 to determine the stroke volume.

The answer for the first one is 66.7 and the answer for the second is 70.

I'd really appreciate your help!

Thanks
kakaoei
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
Hi~
For 9.1, one heart beat is 1 cardiac cycle so you would look for the times where the volume of blood is the same and find the difference. In this case it is 0.9s (112cm^3) and to find the heart rate you do 1 divided by time for one beat x 60
To find stroke volume you find the difference between the maximum and minimum volume, so 120-50 is 70
Hope this helps
hello_m
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by kakaoei)
Hi~
For 9.1, one heart beat is 1 cardiac cycle so you would look for the times where the volume of blood is the same and find the difference. In this case it is 0.9s (112cm^3) and to find the heart rate you do 1 divided by time for one beat x 60
To find stroke volume you find the difference between the maximum and minimum volume, so 120-50 is 70
Hope this helps
thank you!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (21)
26.25%
As I expected (24)
30%
Harder (30)
37.5%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
6.25%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise