How can someone who doesn't like a lot of vegetables eat healthy?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hello! I'm going into my second year of uni and I would really like to try and eat healthier than I did last year, but the issue is I have a bit of a child's pallette and am not a huge fan of a lot of vegetables that go into meals (onions, mushrooms, lettuce, spinach, hot peppers, etc). I love fruit, and cold vegetables like carrots, sweetcorn, tomatoes but I find these kinda hard to incorporate into meals.

So does anyone have any healthy meal suggestions, for example where you can't really taste the veg? Or how I could train myself to like most vegetables?

Thanks!
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Fruit can be good for your health too.

And fruit + some forms of vegetables (e.g. tomatoes) can be eaten separate to meals, so feel free to do that!
boulderingislife
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hello! I'm going into my second year of uni and I would really like to try and eat healthier than I did last year, but the issue is I have a bit of a child's pallette and am not a huge fan of a lot of vegetables that go into meals (onions, mushrooms, lettuce, spinach, hot peppers, etc). I love fruit, and cold vegetables like carrots, sweetcorn, tomatoes but I find these kinda hard to incorporate into meals.

So does anyone have any healthy meal suggestions, for example where you can't really taste the veg? Or how I could train myself to like most vegetables?

Thanks!
How about curries? They're healthy, disguise the taste of veggies very well and are delicious! Also, cut out the dairy and replace it with soya milk (or another plant based milk). Dairy is very bad for you and fattening. Dairy is designed to turn a calf into a big fat monster cow! Consuming the fat and hormones in dairy will make any human fat.
LuigiMario
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Carrot & sweetcorn cake! Bit lumpy, but could be nice?
FV75
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You can chop up vegetables really small (onions, mushrooms, leeks, carrots, peppers etc) and add them to a big batch of bolognese sauce (meat or veggie). By the time it is all cooked down and thickened, they will pretty much disappear. Same works for curry (as already suggested) - chop the veg you like into bigger chunks and the ones you don't into tiny pieces!

I usually eat carrot sticks, cherry tomatoes, strips of raw peppers, cucumber, radishes or any combination of these with my lunch - no need to cook!

Also you could add some dried fruit and nuts/seeds to your breakfast if you eat cereal, porridge etc - I do this most days.

Beans/lentils can also count as one of your 5 a day, if you like them? They can easily be added to many recipes.
Anonymous #1
Thanks so much for the advice!

I'll definitely try some curries and dried fruit!
Anonymous #1
(Original post by boulderingislife)
How about curries? They're healthy, disguise the taste of veggies very well and are delicious! Also, cut out the dairy and replace it with soya milk (or another plant based milk). Dairy is very bad for you and fattening. Dairy is designed to turn a calf into a big fat monster cow! Consuming the fat and hormones in dairy will make any human fat.
I eat a lot of dairy to try and gain weight, but thanks for the suggestion
Anonymous #1
(Original post by LuigiMario)
Carrot & sweetcorn cake! Bit lumpy, but could be nice?
Haha I do love carrot cake, not sure if I like the idea of sweetcorn in a cake though :laugh:
Dax_Swagg3r
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by boulderingislife)
What makes a human gain weight is a caloric surplus not dairy. Tell me what in dairy makes someone fat and what is so bad about it? Dairy is safe for almost everyone unless you are lactose intolerant then it can become uncomfortable and it is the source of the 2 best types of proteins and a bunch of micronutrients.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ecolier)
Fruit can be good for your health too.

And fruit + some forms of vegetables (e.g. tomatoes) can be eaten separate to meals, so feel free to do that!
tomatoes are fruit
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by the bear)
tomatoes are fruit
I'm going with what the OP said :rofl:
Anonymous #1
(Original post by the bear)
tomatoes are fruit
Oops, I always forget tomatoes are fruit lol
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
you'll be saying Cheese is Veg next :rolleyes:
ibby68
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
A good balance of protein, carbs and fats is the conventional way to stay healthy. Caloric maintenance if you wanna maintain weight, deficit if you wanna lose, surplus if you wanna gain.
moonkatt
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Try roasting veg, it brings out their natural sugars and can make them taste sweeter, like a tray bake with chicken or a sausage cassoulet. Or try making something like a mushroom stroganoff, use chestnut mushrooms, they’re a good source of vitamin D. There’s loads of recipes out there, BBC good food and Jamie Oliver’s websites are good for recipes or just ideas to come up with your own things.
boulderingislife
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

Thanks!
No one hates veg. They’ve just not found a recipe that works for them yet. Keep trying different things online and you will find one you life.

Roasted bell peppers stuffed with fried rice is delicious and healthy. Also kidney beans curry, lentil curry, potato curry.

Also, salad with homemade vinaigrette is good. Keep trying new things till you make something you like. No point in keep making stuff you do not like the taste of, which is the mistake a lot of people make.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (34)
21.25%
No (126)
78.75%

Watched Threads