The Student Room Group

Is it possible for me to redo multiple gcses along side my a levels?

Essentially i am in a bit of a predicument, I want to do aeronautical engineering at university but the thing is in order to do that i would need to do a levels in maths and physics. Thing is i was an idiot in school never payed attention always rushed things never tried so i ovbiously ended up with bad gcses (mostly 5s and some 4s). My question is would i be able to retake my maths,english and science gcses along side my a levels or do them before i do my a levels? or am i indefinetely stuck because past me was an idiot? any form of help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Yes I did this but took out a year to do it. Will go uni a year later now but it’s probably the best thing to do tbh. Can I ask what grade you got in maths?
Original post by ibby68
Yes I did this but took out a year to do it. Will go uni a year later now but it’s probably the best thing to do tbh. Can I ask what grade you got in maths?s

So it is actually possible to do? and i got a 5 in maths :/ yeah i know kinda crap i am ashamed at myself too
Original post by thomasthompson03
So it is actually possible to do? and i got a 5 in maths :/ yeah i know kinda crap i am ashamed at myself too

You can retake independently and sit the retake at an exam centre. I would recommend only re taking gcse maths(higher) as you really need at least a 6. If you got a 5 in your first sitting a 6 should be no problem(I went from a 4 to a 6). After you get a 6 or above in maths, take A level maths+BTEC enigneering at a college. Coming from someone who is doing A levels(I also am applying to university for engineering this year), 3 A levels are not worth it for engineering(unless you are taking maths+physics, ). You can get into the majority of universities with A level maths+ Extended diploma DDM-D*D*D* in engineering. Some may not even ask for A level maths and will ask for distinctions in your maths units for your BTEC in lieu of A level maths . The BTEC in engineering I've heard is actually quite difficult so you will still have to put in the effort.

Here are just a few of the universities that will just ask for A level maths+ BTEC extended diploma in engineering:

University of Bristol: D*DD in engineering+ A level Maths at A
University of Manchester: DDM+ A level Maths at A

Can get in with just BTEC:
University of Leicester: DDD with distinctions in further maths units of BTEC.

Hope this helps.
Original post by thomasthompson03

I forgot to mention for a lot of colleges, you need to take Level 2 Engineering and Get a merit or above to take the Extended diploma in engineering however not all of them make sure you check the requirements on the college website.

Quick Reply

Latest