The Student Room Group

Mini panic attacks about the changes

I keep having these mini panic attacks about going to uni since it’s a new city, I’m gonna be living on my own for the first time, and worrying about how classes are at uni, is this normal and if anyone has some input on the classes and what their like that’d be most appreciated
Reply 1
Original post by InitialEdits
I keep having these mini panic attacks about going to uni since it’s a new city, I’m gonna be living on my own for the first time, and worrying about how classes are at uni, is this normal and if anyone has some input on the classes and what their like that’d be most appreciated

You will be fine, you will feel home sick for a few weeks but after youve settled down and gotten into the rhythm of it all, you will be smooth sailing.
Original post by Gillzy
You will be fine, you will feel home sick for a few weeks but after youve settled down and gotten into the rhythm of it all, you will be smooth sailing.

Yeah that’s what I’m counting on, but having these panic attacks makes me worry so damn much
Reply 3
Yeah that’s what I’m counting on, but having these panic attacks makes me worry so damn much

I know what its like to feel like that it feels awful but it does subside, I tend to overthink the situation and in the end its never as bad as it seems so just bare that in mind for yourself. Whatever vision you have of uni in your head, will more than likely be better once you are there and you will wonder why you even worried about it.

Plus

You wont be alone, you will make many new friends so long as you try :wink:
Original post by Gillzy
I know what its like to feel like that it feels awful but it does subside, I tend to overthink the situation and in the end its never as bad as it seems so just bare that in mind for yourself. Whatever vision you have of uni in your head, will more than likely be better once you are there and you will wonder why you even worried about it.

Plus

You wont be alone, you will make many new friends so long as you try :wink:

There’s this society in the uni that has the same interest as me and I’m already in contact with them so I should have mates going into the uni
Reply 5
There’s this society in the uni that has the same interest as me and I’m already in contact with them so I should have mates going into the uni

Thats the spirit, Youll be good:wink:
Btw this is quite long but its thorough so it would be great if you read it!

Hey, I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling so worried about starting uni. Change is always difficult and this is a big one, so it's completely normal to feel a bit worried about it.

However it sounds like you are panicking a bit and getting somewhat overwhelmed. Have you talked to any family or friends about how you're feeling? This would be a great first step to take and would probably give you some reassurance.

It sounds like your worries are very much about predicting what things might be like at university. Changes like this come with uncertainty, which is what causes us to worry.

If there are some things which you can do and prepare for now in the present, then that might help reduce some of your worry. For example, look up the support on offer at your university for wellbeing and make a list of services you could contact if you ever feel like things are getting a bit too much. Talk to your family about when you might want to come home and how you can get back. Think about how you might organise daily things such as what you can cook, meal preparations, how you want to keep up with hobbies you already have. These are all things you can control now and will give you more stability when you do go to university.

I would recommend headspace as an app for meditation. They have a course on leaving home which I haven't tried yet, but will before I start my second year of university. Their other meditations are great. It is £10 a month but if you can afford it I would highly recommend it. Other meditations may be available as well.

If you do feel at the moment that your feelings of panic and anxiety are becoming too overwhelming and you can't seem to control them, I would also not be afraid of talking to your GP. Wellbeing services at universities can also be great at helping with this, please dont be afraid of accessing any services to support you.

Lastly, transitioning to university is a challenging time. I have found first year to be very much a learning experience, so please be kind to yourself and don't expect it to be perfect! Just make sure you have some plans to keep things in check, and dont be afraid to ask for help if you need it.

It's also great you've looked into societies and have friends going in!
Original post by gomgossa
Btw this is quite long but its thorough so it would be great if you read it!

Hey, I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling so worried about starting uni. Change is always difficult and this is a big one, so it's completely normal to feel a bit worried about it.

However it sounds like you are panicking a bit and getting somewhat overwhelmed. Have you talked to any family or friends about how you're feeling? This would be a great first step to take and would probably give you some reassurance.

It sounds like your worries are very much about predicting what things might be like at university. Changes like this come with uncertainty, which is what causes us to worry.

If there are some things which you can do and prepare for now in the present, then that might help reduce some of your worry. For example, look up the support on offer at your university for wellbeing and make a list of services you could contact if you ever feel like things are getting a bit too much. Talk to your family about when you might want to come home and how you can get back. Think about how you might organise daily things such as what you can cook, meal preparations, how you want to keep up with hobbies you already have. These are all things you can control now and will give you more stability when you do go to university.

I would recommend headspace as an app for meditation. They have a course on leaving home which I haven't tried yet, but will before I start my second year of university. Their other meditations are great. It is £10 a month but if you can afford it I would highly recommend it. Other meditations may be available as well.

If you do feel at the moment that your feelings of panic and anxiety are becoming too overwhelming and you can't seem to control them, I would also not be afraid of talking to your GP. Wellbeing services at universities can also be great at helping with this, please dont be afraid of accessing any services to support you.

Lastly, transitioning to university is a challenging time. I have found first year to be very much a learning experience, so please be kind to yourself and don't expect it to be perfect! Just make sure you have some plans to keep things in check, and dont be afraid to ask for help if you need it.

Yeah my panic comes from overthinking a ton of random stuff and thinking of what uni will be like making myself worried, I’ve talked to some mates and I can get some help at uni if I go ask, talking to my family is kinda hard because they’ll just say ‘it’ll be fine, you can do it, change is apart of life’ stuff like that is nice to hear, but for me personally I find it quite difficult to ask for support

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending