Urgent! Do I need a UK Bank Account?

Watch
Username_9314
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Hello,

I’m an EU citizen and I’ll be studying at the University of Nottingham this September. I applied for a student loan from the government on July and I’m currently waiting for them to send me a confirmation letter.

Yesterday the university asked me to add a UK bank account on the MyNottingham website, but the problem is that I don’t have one. The only bank account I have is an EU one (which counts as a Visa).

Is a UK bank account necessary if I’m not going to be paying the fees directly but through a loan? Is there a due date if that’s the case or can I perhaps add my already existing EU bank account instead? Also do all EU students have to make a UK bank account?

Thank you in advance and I’m sorry for so many questions! Any answer will be very much appreciated!!
Grizwuld
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Sorry about not being able to be specific to your exact circumstances but if your here for 3+ years a UK bank account would seem a very good and more importantly a practical idea.

You should be able to get something called a "basic" bank account fairly easily.

Not sure what will happen in future because of Brexit.

Good Luck
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
There are advantages to getting a UK bank account, and it's worth getting one. But if that's too much hassle in the immediate time frame you need to contact the finance team in Nottingham's Student Services department and see if they will accept bank accounts from outside of the UK.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (28)
5.67%
Uncertainty around my education (57)
11.54%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (58)
11.74%
Lack of purpose or motivation (66)
13.36%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (27)
5.47%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (21)
4.25%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (53)
10.73%
Financial worries (29)
5.87%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (20)
4.05%
Exposure to negative news/social media (32)
6.48%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (14)
2.83%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (48)
9.72%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (41)
8.3%

Watched Threads