The Student Room Group

Making friends as a mature student

Sorry if this sounds a dumb question but I have to ask.

I start university 14th September and I will be moving away from home to live there.
I am a 35 year old male, will i find it hard to make friends as the majority will be a lot younger than me.
Will people see me as the old guy no-one wants to talk to or do people not really care.
I am just a little scared of been on my own and having no-one to talk to.
I am 10 years older and have made friends on it course, though mostly with the more senior ones (24-30)
I do get tons of the younger ones directly what’s app if me on our chat group as they figure I know the admin stuff for our course.
With the ones I am friends with, We don’t go out drinking together. We do go for coffees when on campus. (I didn’t move for university so my friends still around)
There will probably be a mature students society on campus.
you are going to be fine, do not worry :smile: i believe that everyone is really friendly and accepting at university. also, there will probs be societies for mature students so i really wouldn’t worry at all :smile: x
Original post by Anonymous

I start university 14th September and I will be moving away from home to live there.
I am a 35 year old male, will i find it hard to make friends as the majority will be a lot younger than me.
Will people see me as the old guy no-one wants to talk to or do people not really care.

You may get some immature people who aren't interested in making older friends, but they are likely to be in the minority. As long as you don't make your age a big deal, then no one else will care.

During my undergraduate course (which I started when I was 19), there were quite a few mature students (35+), but some of them made their age a barrier to any friendship we could have had. For example, one of them would always bring age into any topic of conversation: "I used to like that when I was your age", "In my generation...", "It must be nice to have youth on your side" etc. etc. They were obviously very insecure about how much older they were, but it just came across as patronising. I literally couldn't have cared less, but interacting with them made me uncomfortable because their comments.
Reply 4
just from general observation in my class the mature students fit in just like everyone else cuz i reckon everyone is in the same boat, ie brand new, no friends, self conscious, eager to meet people; so you’re age is like irrelevant who you talk to/hang out with. however also i reckon it’s important to not make age an issue, like make sure you don’t keep reminding them your age difference or things you don’t have in common. you have to find things you have in common just like any friendship regardless of age.

imho there was more discrepancy between international and home students, competitive students vs those just going for the social life than anything to do with age.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous

Hey Anonymous,

Quite a few of my friends are mature students and in their late 20s and on my degree we have quite a few mature students. I think at university there isn't such a stark difference between 18/19-year-olds and mature students. Especially if you're living on campus, you can really become integrated into university life, nights out etc! Also, there are often other mature students on the course and sometimes they become friends with each other. I really don't think anyone will think of you in that way as in the start everyone is really eager to make friends so try and step outside your comfort zone and start conversations up with other people! There also are societies and events targetted for mature students so you'll meet plenty of new people!

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any other questions!😊
From,

Amina

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending