The Student Room Group

Grade Requirements for A-Levels

Generally, what are the GCSE grade requirements to study maths, physics, further maths or chemistry for A-Levels
At my school our requirements were:

Physics - grade 6 in physics and maths
Chemistry - grade 6 in chemistry and maths
Maths - grade 6 in maths
Further Maths - grade 7/8 but ideally a 9 in maths
Original post by jaxp
Generally, what are the GCSE grade requirements to study maths, physics, further maths or chemistry for A-Levels

Each school sets its own requirements - you'll need to check in the Sixth Form Prospectus of the schools you are interested in.
Reply 3
It definitely depends on the school so you'd have to research specific Sixth Forms, but my old school requires:

Chemistry - 7 in maths and 7 in chemistry (or 7-7 in dual award science)
Maths - 7 in maths
Further maths - 8 in maths
Physics - 7 in maths and 7 in physics (or 7-7 in dual award science)
at my college it’s 7 for any of the sciences 7 for maths and 8 for further maths. but if you take further maths you have to take maths as well.

it depends on where you wanna apply, check the requirements before hand. good luck :smile:
Look at the requirements for the specific 6th form u want to apply to
Reply 6
- State Schools have a lower entry requirements, they usually ask for:
Chemistry: a 6-6 in Double Award Science with grade A (7-9) in each chemistry units, OR a 6 in straight Chemistry GCSE and a 6 in Maths is desirable.
Maths: 7 in Maths OR 6 in Maths and 4 in Further Maths.
Further Maths: 7 in Maths AND 6 in Further Maths.
Physics: a 6-6 in Double Award Science with grade A (7-9) in each physics units, OR a 6 in straight Physics GCSE AND a 6 in Maths is essential.

These are the grades that most state schools asks for in my area.

- Grammar and Independent Schools usually have a higher entry requirements:
Chemistry: 8-7 in Double Award Science with grade A (7-9) in each chemistry units, OR a 7 in straight Chemistry GCSE AND a 7 in Maths is essential.
Maths: 7 in Maths.
Further Maths: 8-9 in Maths AND 8-9 in Further Maths.
Physics: 8-7 in Double Award Science with grade A (7-9) in each physics units, OR a 7 in straight Physics GCSE AND a 7 in Maths is essential.

These are the grades that most Grammar/Independent schools asks for in my area including my school.
As Muttley said it varies. Generally for this combination you'd need at least a 7 (or often an 8 to take fm) in maths and a 6 in chem/physics, but it's up to the school to decide this and it could be higher or lower.
Original post by AMsch
- State Schools have a lower entry requirements, they usually ask for:
Chemistry: a 6-6 in Double Award Science with grade A (7-9) in each chemistry units, OR a 6 in straight Chemistry GCSE and a 6 in Maths is desirable.
Maths: 7 in Maths OR 6 in Maths and 4 in Further Maths.
Further Maths: 7 in Maths AND 6 in Further Maths.
Physics: a 6-6 in Double Award Science with grade A (7-9) in each physics units, OR a 6 in straight Physics GCSE AND a 6 in Maths is essential.

These are the grades that most state schools asks for in my area.

- Grammar and Independent Schools usually have a higher entry requirements:
Chemistry: 8-7 in Double Award Science with grade A (7-9) in each chemistry units, OR a 7 in straight Chemistry GCSE AND a 7 in Maths is essential.
Maths: 7 in Maths.
Further Maths: 8-9 in Maths AND 8-9 in Further Maths.
Physics: 8-7 in Double Award Science with grade A (7-9) in each physics units, OR a 7 in straight Physics GCSE AND a 7 in Maths is essential.

These are the grades that most Grammar/Independent schools asks for in my area including my school.

Where have you got these from? You definitely don't need GCSE further maths for A-level further maths.

[though 7 in maths for maths, 7 or 8 in maths for fm is about right]
(edited 3 years ago)
at my school you need a 6-6 in science and a 6 in maths to do bio, chem or physics. then for maths you need a 7, and for further maths you need an 8. but with science, one of my closest friends got an 8-7 in science (9s in biology) but only did foundation maths and got a 5, but because of her strength in biology she was able to do it
Reply 9
Original post by _gcx
As Muttley said it varies. Generally for this combination you'd need at least a 7 (or often an 8 to take fm) in maths and a 6 in chem/physics, but it's up to the school to decide this and it could be higher or lower.

Where have you got these from? You definitely don't need GCSE further maths for A-level further maths.

[though 7 in maths for maths, 7 or 8 in maths for fm is about right]

I got it from my school's entry requirements and many other schools in my area.

Quick Reply

Latest