anticorn04
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
soo here is the situation.
i started 6th form Thursday and turns out that the school no longer offers a-level politics as the main teacher left just before the start of school. I am doing maths and economics already which is fine, however i needed to pick something quickly so i chose psychology.

After my first psychology lesson i realised the class had 26 people, compared to econ (7 students) and maths (11 students). In addition to this I dont like the teacher and most my class is.... And ALSO after actually looking at content it doesn't interest me at all.
I rushed when i picked it but now i have option to switch.
i would choose history but its in the same block as maths.
the a-level choices at my school are very limited now, and im not interested in literally any options. literature,classics,chemistry,ph ysics, are the only alternatives i can take to psychology as a 3rd a-level (other than b-tecs)

So i was thinking of self teaching an a-level? politics/history/law/fm. How hard is it to self teach? Is it worth the risk or should i just do a subject i don't enjoy. ty

I
bluebeetle
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Are your other subjects both only in one block, or could you move classes for either of those?

Studying an A-level you have no interest in at all is often a bad idea, as low motivation makes it hard to get a good grade. However, a lot of people find the jump in difficulty in A-levels really challenging, so trying to self-study one without a tutor is potentially also going to lead to a poor grade. You may also not receive support from the school if you are self studying - it's not typical for this to happen and the school will probably want you to study at least three A-levels with them. From their point of view, allowing you to self-study but then take the exam as a student in their centre is a risk, as you might fail and they couldn't do much to prevent it.

What's the issue with your psychology class / teacher? Classes of that size aren't actually uncommon in some sixth forms, and it definitely doesn't mean you won't succeed.

Otherwise, from your list of options, Physics is probably what fits best with your other subjects, as there's a large amount of maths content.
anticorn04
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
thanks for the response.
my 6th form only has 41 students, small classes is the main reason i stayed at my schools sixth form.
The problem is a lack of interest in the content of psychology, (and my alternatives). i don't want to get bored to death, but i also probably wont have a choice.
If I self teach and get a tutor do you think i could do well? i have already spoken to my school btw and they said they can enter me for the exam if I really want to self teach
It's a tough situation, especially considering I rejected offers from other sixth forms that i could do subjects i wanted.

For a bit of context, I want to pursue a degree in economics. Considering i've got maths and economics which covers whats required for most econ degrees, my third subject doesn't matter much uni wise. So should i go for the 'easiest subject'? Considering i don't have much interest in my other available options.
I need to get an A in this subject, and i worry if i pick something extremely tough, combined with no interest I am extremely unlikely to achieve an A.
Which of the available subjects would you say has least demanding content. I understand no a-levels are easy, but my strengths are memorising. So maybe which subject can be mostly mastered by memorisation?

sorry for the long response lol but i need advice as i need to finalise soon. thanks

(Original post by bluebeetle)
Are your other subjects both only in one block, or could you move classes for either of those?

Studying an A-level you have no interest in at all is often a bad idea, as low motivation makes it hard to get a good grade. However, a lot of people find the jump in difficulty in A-levels really challenging, so trying to self-study one without a tutor is potentially also going to lead to a poor grade. You may also not receive support from the school if you are self studying - it's not typical for this to happen and the school will probably want you to study at least three A-levels with them. From their point of view, allowing you to self-study but then take the exam as a student in their centre is a risk, as you might fail and they couldn't do much to prevent it.

What's the issue with your psychology class / teacher? Classes of that size aren't actually uncommon in some sixth forms, and it definitely doesn't mean you won't succeed.

Otherwise, from your list of options, Physics is probably what fits best with your other subjects, as there's a large amount of maths content.
Last edited by anticorn04; 4 months ago
bluebeetle
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by anticorn04)
thanks for the response.
my 6th form only has 41 students, small classes is the main reason i stayed at my schools sixth form.
The problem is a lack of interest in the content of psychology, (and my alternatives). i don't want to get bored to death, but i also probably wont have a choice.
If I self teach and get a tutor do you think i could do well? i have already spoken to my school btw and they said they can enter me for the exam if I really want to self teach
It's a tough situation, especially considering I rejected offers from other sixth forms that i could do subjects i wanted.

For a bit of context, I want to pursue a degree in economics. Considering i've got maths and economics which covers whats required for most econ degrees, my third subject doesn't matter much uni wise. So should i go for the 'easiest subject'? Considering i don't have much interest in my other available options.
I need to get an A in this subject, and i worry if i pick something extremely tough, combined with no interest I am extremely unlikely to achieve an A.
Which of the available subjects would you say has least demanding content. I understand no a-levels are easy, but my strengths are memorising. So maybe which subject can be mostly mastered by memorisation?

sorry for the long response lol but i need advice as i need to finalise soon. thanks
Unfortunately, I think none of the options you listed as being available at your school are particularly easy, especially if you want to focus on memorisation. The one you find easiest will probably be whichever you found easiest at GCSE.

You can probably do decently well if you have a tutor, if your parents are willing to spend money on that, but you should be careful to try to get a teacher who is actually experienced with the details of Politics A-level and not just a uni student or whatever who has no teaching experience. That's fine for if you are getting teaching at school and just need tutoring to brush-up, but if the tutor is your main source of information on the course, then it's important they really know the spec.

Personally, I would expect that sticking to subjects being taught at your sixth form is lower risk, especially given how private candidates have fared in what happened this past year.
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
You will need to be studying three A levels (or equiv) for a 'full-time teaching load' - schools/colleges wont let you go below this because it means they wont get funding for you. So you are unlikely to get them to agree to you doing only 2 Alevels and another one somewhere else - however, some schools have mutual agreements and allow students to do individual courses at the other school while remaining enrolled at the 'main' school.

Are there BTECs you could do - dont turn you nose up at this, 2 A levels and a BTEC would be acceptable for most Universities.

YOu need to talk to someone at school first thing on Monday - explain your problem and see what they suggest.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (325)
55.75%
I don't have everything I need (258)
44.25%

Watched Threads