Scratched wing mirror of parked car what should I have done?

Watch
Wend1876
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi I scratched the wing mirror of a parked car, I hadn’t realised it was me that caused the scratch until I checked my mirror which hasn’t small scratches. I hadn’t turned into an angled space and didn’t judge how tight it was to the other car. I was trying to fix my mistake but as I wasn’t straightening up the wind mirrors brushed against each other.
A couple helped me reverse back out as they saw I was having difficulty. I had pulled my wind mirror in to the car to make sure I didn’t hit the car. When I was reversing out I noticed a scratch on the wind mirror but I wasn’t so focused on reversing out I didn’t think about it. I left the car park and checked my wind mirror which also has scratches and I realised it was me that caused the damage. I went back about 20-30mins later (I had to go quite far back around) to leave a note and see ignore I could catch the person but the car was gone
I am upset because it was such a stupid thing to do, I am worried that my insurance will go up if the person was able to get my reg some how since there was people helping me and the car park has cameras- is It now classed as a hit and run since I just left? I also don’t like to think if the owner would be upset seeing a scratch because I know I would be. What I remember was very minor and I hardly noticed it.

The scratch was minor and not that noticeable. I should haven clocked it sooner and stopped to leave a note. I was just flustered at not hitting the car and getting outta the space

What should I do if it happens again? Would a scratch increase my insurance? Could they find me out?
maeger
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Based on all your past threads, your re-assurance OCD is crippling you. Re-evaluate whether you should be driving if you doubt yourself so much.

The posts that respond will either reassure you (ie it's ok don't worry blah blah blah), or tell you you've broken the law/done something wrong/are a terrible person, which will upset you.

If you want to go the whole obsessive compulsive hog, you must give the other car your insurance details (somehow), let them claim for a piece of wing mirror, and then possibly get ****ed insurance quotes for the next few years when it turns out they decided you hit their door/bumper/boot as well.

I am not a psychiatrist, but I'd know what I'd do in this situation... You will die one day, life is more important than this jesus christ.
jennaq
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
You should’ve left a note straight away, but to cover yourself you can report it online so you don’t get in trouble with the law and the owner of the vehicle you hit can claim it.
Mustafa0605
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I don’t think today’s standard of cctv can make out a scratch on a car.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year wil take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (45)
23.56%
Less motivated (146)
76.44%

Watched Threads