Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
. . .
Last edited by BettyLovesDrama; 2 weeks ago
stephanieg1992
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I can't really speak to the rest of it as I haven't done my course yet about what's normal re. placements, but from what I've seen (I've worked in a lot of schools) it is nigh on impossible to have a part-time job while doing the PGCE. The workload is enormous and the paperwork is endless. I've known a couple of student teachers have part-time jobs and quit them after a couple of weeks of placement because they just can't manage. The best way to explain it is that it's like working a very stressful full-time job with a lot of overtime and then going to university on top of it.

I'm sure people have managed it, but I would discourage it strongly from seeing the amount of work student teachers I've worked with have.
Last edited by stephanieg1992; 3 weeks ago
bluebeetle
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by BettyLovesDrama)
Hi,

So I am due to start a PGCE one year course full time within the next few weeks.
Just to give a slight overview in background, I do performing full time but due to COVID and needing a somewhat flexible job, I was hoping to do a PGCE and then maybe get a part time teaching job after. I'm also looking at doing some Fitness courses and was thinking of transferring skills learnt from PGCE to that area. Basically, a side hustle.

I'm having some doubts because after researching people's experiences it sounds like hell.

I am looking to work freelance or get a part time job whilst doing this course - would that be possible? Bills don't get paid on their own and student finance barely covers anything.

Also, how many days would a typical placement be? At my UNI it is 100 hours required. We would be in Uni from Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Do you reckon a placement would have to be on both Monday and Friday or just one of those days? I'm asking because I've seen people saying they've been at placements form 8-5. However, statistically that doesn't make sense with the course (8 hours a day would equal just 12 days on a placement).

Just having some doubts as I want the qualification and would want to teach acting and fitness for an income to supplement pursuing performance but I don't want to risk my mental health (anxiety) or risk paid work.

Also, when should a placement be secured? I've been in contact with mine but no details are going to be discussed until week after next - is this normal?

Sorry for so many questions and pointers, any help would be a life saver right now.

Thanks for reading and stay safe x

**** One other question! Whilst on the course are you expected to be applying for teaching jobs (full time after graduated ones)? And is this optional or mandatory?
The PGCE is very hard work and I think you will struggle to maintain a part-time job or freelance work alongside it, unless it's something very small. I had a friend who managed one short shift every Saturday morning for half of the course, but there's a reason she ended up dropping that entirely.

100 hours is likely to be the number of TEACHING hours you have to do, as in actual time in front of a group of students. The majority of the time you spend working this year will be in preparation for that teaching time or in developing your general understanding of pedagogy. On your first placement, you will probably only teach about six to eight hours per week, even if you are working a full 8 hours everyday. I do not know of any PGCE courses where students don't have something scheduled (either in uni or in school) for five days a week during placements. You will likely have fewer uni days when you are actually on placement so you can spend more time in school.

It is not mandatory to apply for teaching jobs during your training, but some time will probably be dedicated to helping you prepare to apply for jobs.

I want to put this kindly, but I'm not sure that your plans are realistic. What subject are you looking to teach? If it's drama / PE / dance, these can be quite competitive when looking for work, and I suspect that somebody looking at teaching as a part time gig would be the one to succeed at interview. On top of that, only wanting part-time work will limit job opportunities, and being a part-time teacher does not necessarily allow for you to govern what hours you work (e.g. you might sign up to teach one day a week, but the school could split this across two days).

After your training year, you will need to complete an NQT year (which also involves paperwork, and which some people find more stressful than the training year). If you are teaching part time, your NQT 'year' will actually be longer to account for this.

If your main goal is to be a fitness instructor, it is probably a much better use of your time to look into courses that aim to help people become fitness instructors.
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by BettyLovesDrama)
Hi,

So I am due to start a PGCE one year course full time within the next few weeks. This is POST 16 - so placements in colleges or Unis.

Just to give a slight overview in background, I do performing full time but due to COVID and needing a somewhat flexible job, I was hoping to do a PGCE and then maybe get a part time teaching job after. I'm also looking at doing some Fitness courses and was thinking of transferring skills learnt from PGCE to that area. Basically, a side hustle.

I'm having some doubts because after researching people's experiences it sounds like hell.

I am looking to work freelance or get a part time job whilst doing this course - would that be possible? Bills don't get paid on their own and student finance barely covers anything.

Also, how many days would a typical placement be? At my UNI it is 100 hours required. We would be in Uni from Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Do you reckon a placement would have to be on both Monday and Friday or just one of those days? I'm asking because I've seen people saying they've been at placements form 8-5. However, statistically that doesn't make sense with the course (8 hours a day would equal just 12 days on a placement).

Just having some doubts as I want the qualification and would want to teach acting and fitness for an income to supplement pursuing performance but I don't want to risk my mental health (anxiety) or risk paid work.

Also, when should a placement be secured? I've been in contact with mine but no details are going to be discussed until week after next - is this normal?

Sorry for so many questions and pointers, any help would be a life saver right now.

Thanks for reading and stay safe x

**** One other question! Whilst on the course are you expected to be applying for teaching jobs (full time after graduated ones)? And is this optional or mandatory?
I think you're being completely unrealisitic about this, sorry.

The 100 hours will be 100 hours of teaching time, not 100 hours spend in school. Time spent in school for prep or planning or marking won't count. That's where the 8-5 comes in, because for each hour of teaching, you'll often spend an equivalent amount of time planning and marking. And during your PGCE there are also other admin tasks that need doing, plus whatever work you need to do for your assignments. Otherwise you could spent 10 hour days in school and be done in 10 days, which is clearly ridiculous!

Unless stated otherwise, your placements will be Monday to Friday.

I understand that bills need to be paid, but it's basically impossible to work and do a PGCE. Most people who don't get a bursary will save up in advance to be able to support themselves during the year.

As has been said by other posters, if you want to be a fitness instructor, then it would be better to look at courses that will qualify you for that. If your heart isn't in it, you won't last on the PGCE.

You're not required to apply for jobs (certainly not full time ones) but if your tutors question your commitment to the course, it's likely you'll struggle to pass.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (64)
21.62%
No (232)
78.38%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed