annamaria19
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I am starting IB this year and I was wondering what resources do you guys recommend? Flashcards, textbooks etc.

My subjects are:
English Lang&Lit HL
History HL
Math AI HL
German B SL
ESS SL
Psychology SL

I have bought the books that my school wanted me to buy, but I want to be as prepared as possible. So I would be very grateful if you had any recommendations. Also, if you feel that I need anything for TOK (I havea textbook), CAS or EE, then let me know
boeuf
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
That looks like an amazing combination of subjects, you're going to have a great time!! I'm in my second year of IB, studying HL Maths AI, Physics, Spanish and SL Philosophy, English literature and Computer Science. The advice I would give is make sure you are familiar with the GCSE content (for the subjects you did then- Psychology and ESS probably don't require GCSE knowledge). I would especially urge you to do this with Maths and German (unless you're studying ab initio). In Maths AI, they expected us to know all our GCSE content well and as you didn't sit your GCSEs you should definitely spend time looking over the content. As for the IB core, you definitely don't need any material for CAS (it's just a requirement for passing the IB, it's isn't graded or anything) and I never received any textbooks or anything for TOK- they will explain everything from scratch and besides from the basics, most of it is about applying critical thinking to what you already know. For example, a 'TOK question' might be: How does language affect knowledge in the Arts? It's less about learning facts and more about reasoning, so all you need to the lesson is your brain! For EE, some of my friends had textbooks but I managed without. Instead I read through the mark schemes they have online and there are loads of free pdf guides you can find. As for general study skills, make flashcards throughout the year as you prepare for exams, but don't buy them pre-written. Writing them helps you learn them. Let me know if you have any more questions and good luck in starting the IB! It's great you have the motivation to prepare in advance, so carry that on when you start IB and you'll do great
annamaria19
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by boeuf)
That looks like an amazing combination of subjects, you're going to have a great time!! I'm in my second year of IB, studying HL Maths AI, Physics, Spanish and SL Philosophy, English literature and Computer Science. The advice I would give is make sure you are familiar with the GCSE content (for the subjects you did then- Psychology and ESS probably don't require GCSE knowledge). I would especially urge you to do this with Maths and German (unless you're studying ab initio). In Maths AI, they expected us to know all our GCSE content well and as you didn't sit your GCSEs you should definitely spend time looking over the content. As for the IB core, you definitely don't need any material for CAS (it's just a requirement for passing the IB, it's isn't graded or anything) and I never received any textbooks or aThanything for TOK- they will explain everything from scratch and besides from the basics, most of it is about applying critical thinking to what you already know. For example, a 'TOK question' might be: How does language affect knowledge in the Arts? It's less about learning facts and more about reasoning, so all you need to the lesson is your brain! For EE, some of my friends had textbooks but I managed without. Instead I read through the mark schemes they have online and there are loads of free pdf guides you can find. As for general study skills, make flashcards throughout the year as you prepare for exams, but don't buy them pre-written. Writing them helps you learn them. Let me know if you have any more questions and good luck in starting the IB! It's great you have the motivation to prepare in advance, so carry that on when you start IB and you'll do great
Thank you responding I am not actually studying in the UK, so I have no idea about the content of GCSE. Do you like Maths AI? I'm thinking of maybe switching to AA SL because I feel that the teacher doesn't explain anything.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (0)
0%
No (3)
100%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed