The Student Room Group

Is it actually harder for people with muslim sounding names to get graduate jobs?

Is it actually, in reality, harder for people with muslim sounding names to get graduate jobs?
(edited 3 years ago)
Legally it would be considered discrimination. However, proving that is where it becomes quite hard. I think it all depends on the organization you intend to apply for. Lots of inclusivity schemes now mean you may actually have a slight advantage.
Original post by Brahiti
Is it actually, in reality, harder for people with muslim sounding names to get graduate jobs? I'm mainly focussed on graduate jobs.

Yes, it has been proven that sometimes ethnic names are rejected and peers with similar qualifications are chosen. I remember a girl who sent the same resumé with different names and got a reply back for the English one. HOWEVER, you have to *hope* that the person reading your application isn’t one of those (as not every HR is a bigot obviously) and the company your working for actually cares about such matters. Unconscious bias is real but don’t think in the negative it wastes time and you’re less likely to encounter a bigot Recruiter than not
Reply 3
Original post by Khanthebrit
Legally it would be considered discrimination. However, proving that is where it becomes quite hard. I think it all depends on the organization you intend to apply for. Lots of inclusivity schemes now mean you may actually have a slight advantage.

Where do I find out which list of companies have inclusivity schemes that put me at a slight advantage or at least make things fair?
Reply 4
As the above user mentioned, it's discrimination yes, but proving it is near impossible. However, in regards to your question, it honestly really depends on who the interviewer/recruiter is and what they like/dislike, which could be many things (including what you mentioned).
Original post by Brahiti
Where do I find out which list of companies have inclusivity schemes that put me at a slight advantage or at least make things fair?

That's something you're going to have to research yourself. Look into companies with inclusivity and diversity schemes. Check the Fortune 500 to find which companies offer the best schemes. They'll have an abundance of information on such schemes.
Sadly this is something that has been formally researched and been found on numerous occassions. You can read about one of the studies on this BBC link. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46927417

There is also evidence in the UK that BME workers get paid less (controlling for the same level of experience and qualifications), and are less likely to be promoted.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending