Hephziblah
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Cute Kawaii)
Can you go to uni without student loan? Do u think the uni will allow a compromise? I've applied for student loan and finance but they ask for a national insurance number. I don't have one. They asked me to apply for it. But it says the number should arrive by mid October. But uni will have started by then. Very worried and confused. Pls let me know.
Just go to the National Insurance .gov page and phone the number. Explain that you never got your NI and they’ll help you set up an account so you can see what it is! I never got it and phoned up when I was 18 and got it sorted in a day or two.
Joe Frazier
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Y is that?
I don't think so 🤷🏻*♀️
Because the first time I ever saw mine was on a payslip; I never had to apply for it.
Cute Kawaii
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymusy)
They used to automatically send you an NI number and card when you turned 16/17 can't remember which but now you have to apply. Once you get your NI number and add it to your application, it will be approved and payment dates will be set up. Student finance will automatically pay your tuition fees to the university and maintenance loan directly to you but it will obviously be delayed. Don't worry, I applied for student finance late in my first year. I received my first maintenance loan payment a few months after the course started and my tuition fee payment was also delayed. Nothing to worry about, the payments will just be delayed for the first semester unless they've changed things which i doubt they have its only been a few years. You can call student finance and ask them to make sure or post this again in the student finance forum and someone from student finance will get back to you next week.
Ive applied now. I wonder how long it will take for the NI number to arrive?
Also, how did u get by without student loan the first semester? I hope they haven't changed things tho!
Thanks for this response!!!
Cute Kawaii
Rep:
?
(Original post by Joe Frazier)
Because the first time I ever saw mine was on a payslip; I never had to apply for it.
Ohhh i c. Where did u work?
Not sure if I can work without NI number 🤷🏻*♀️
Last edited by Cute Kawaii; 2 weeks ago
Stefan P Bargan
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Can you go to uni without student loan? Do u think the uni will allow a compromise? I've applied for student loan and finance but they ask for a national insurance number. I don't have one. They asked me to apply for it. But it says the number should arrive by mid October. But uni will have started by then. Very worried and confused. Pls let me know.
You have a tough situation here. Are you from a different country? Because you can get your payment for the course but no money for rent (maintenance loan). Call Student Finance and explain your situation. Maybe even message on Facebook and Twitter and ask what to do. I know a lot of people from other countries who got the course fee approved but not the maintenance, you could get that if you're working here for next year maybe. They shouldn't have asked you for a NiNO if you're a student from another country.

Your other option is to pay out of pocket, get a loan an pay it.

Or maybe you could get everything sorted in terms of documents. Find work, depends where you want to study and do your university start next year if possible.
Cute Kawaii
Rep:
?
(Original post by Stefan P Bargan)
You have a tough situation here. Are you from a different country? Because you can get your payment for the course but no money for rent (maintenance loan). Call Student Finance and explain your situation. Maybe even message on Facebook and Twitter and ask what to do. I know a lot of people from other countries who got the course fee approved but not the maintenance, you could get that if you're working here for next year maybe. They shouldn't have asked you for a NiNO if you're a student from another country.

Your other option is to pay out of pocket, get a loan an pay it.

Or maybe you could get everything sorted in terms of documents. Find work, depends where you want to study and do your university start next year if possible.
Thanks for understanding! Nope. Im not from another country.
Can I still get a job without an NI number?
I think I will try again with university next year if I really can't do anything about it at all.
Stefan P Bargan
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Thanks for understanding! Nope. Im not from another country.
Can I still get a job without an NI number?
I think I will try again with university next year if I really can't do anything about it at all.
You're from UK and you have no NiNo? I mean I'm from another country but I went to high school here (came in 2014) and my NiNo came in 2016 or 2017 because I was studying. It comes for everyone around that age to be able to get a job. You might have one and not be aware if you moved a lot maybe. I remember because my parents had to get theirs done and mine just came through the post randombly and when I asked my classmates their came too. The UK does that for students who might want to do an apprenticeship so that they can have their NiNo and apply and also pay taxes on it.

Call a few places. Call your closest Job Centre, explain your situation and they might be able to help.
Joe Frazier
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Ohhh i c. Where did u work?
Not sure if I can work without NI number 🤷🏻*♀️
I worked in a restaurant, I was only 15 so not sure if that has something to do with it? Thinking about it, just after I turned 16 my NI number came through in the post
Isinglass
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Please do contact the university you are going to explain the situation and ask what its policy is - for example, QMUL's website ( picking a random university to check) says:

Tuition fees and enrolment
New students:
You can fully enrol without confirmation of your Student Finance. But remember that you are liable for tuition fee payment once your enrolment has been confrimed.

If the lack of a National Insurance number is the only thing stalling the application, it should move forward okay as soon as the issue is resolved.
Scotney
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by RedGiant)
Yes, every university allows you to pay upfront without a loan. No payment, no uni, no compromise. Why don’t you have an NI number? How do you intend to get a job without one?
(Original post by Isinglass)
Please do contact the university you are going to explain the situation and ask what its policy is - for example, QMUL's website ( picking a random university to check) says:

New students:
You can fully enrol without confirmation of your Student Finance. But remember that you are liable for tuition fee payment once your enrolment has been confrimed.

If the lack of a National Insurance number is the only thing stalling the application, it should move forward okay as soon as the issue is resolved.
This person is correct. This is just an admin issue. Get on it on Monday with NI people first and then talk to SFE and uni. At worst maitainence money might be delayed by a few weeks.
Anonymusy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Ive applied now. I wonder how long it will take for the NI number to arrive?
Also, how did u get by without student loan the first semester? I hope they haven't changed things tho!
Thanks for this response!!!
I don't know how I got by. I didn't have much money, I was almost broke but somehow managed and was living at home which made things easier, I think I got my maintenance loan sometime in November, my course started in September. It will probably take a couple of weeks to get the NI number. I think you can apply for student finance upto a couple of months after the start of your course can't remember how many so you should okay. Even if you did have your NI number and your application was already approved, the first payments usually come or are due after your course starts not before because the university needs to confirm your attendance with student finance before the payments can be made.
Cute Kawaii
Rep:
?
(Original post by Joe Frazier)
I worked in a restaurant, I was only 15 so not sure if that has something to do with it? Thinking about it, just after I turned 16 my NI number came through in the post
Ohhh i c. I could try the same. Thankssss!!
Cute Kawaii
Rep:
?
(Original post by Stefan P Bargan)
You're from UK and you have no NiNo? I mean I'm from another country but I went to high school here (came in 2014) and my NiNo came in 2016 or 2017 because I was studying. It comes for everyone around that age to be able to get a job. You might have one and not be aware if you moved a lot maybe. I remember because my parents had to get theirs done and mine just came through the post randombly and when I asked my classmates their came too. The UK does that for students who might want to do an apprenticeship so that they can have their NiNo and apply and also pay taxes on it.

Call a few places. Call your closest Job Centre, explain your situation and they might be able to help.
Okayyy i will call them too and check there also. Thanks for all the help!!!
Cute Kawaii
Rep:
?

New students:

I will call the uni and ask them. Yes it issss!! I hope it does get resolved soon! Thanks!!!
Cute Kawaii
Rep:
?
(Original post by Scotney)
This person is correct. This is just an admin issue. Get on it on Monday with NI people first and then talk to SFE and uni. At worst maitainence money might be delayed by a few weeks.
Yes i am definitely going to call the uni today! A few weeks is fine i suppose. I rlly hope they reply to me!
Cute Kawaii
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymusy)
I don't know how I got by. I didn't have much money, I was almost broke but somehow managed and was living at home which made things easier, I think I got my maintenance loan sometime in November, my course started in September. It will probably take a couple of weeks to get the NI number. I think you can apply for student finance upto a couple of months after the start of your course can't remember how many so you should okay. Even if you did have your NI number and your application was already approved, the first payments usually come or are due after your course starts not before because the university needs to confirm your attendance with student finance before the payments can be made.
Wow. That's good everything went well for you. Ohhh that's fineeee!! Ok. So maybe I'm not in a very bad position.
Cute Kawaii
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hephziblah)
Just go to the National Insurance .gov page and phone the number. Explain that you never got your NI and they’ll help you set up an account so you can see what it is! I never got it and phoned up when I was 18 and got it sorted in a day or two.
Yes i will try this too. Thankssss!!!!
Cute Kawaii
Rep:
?
Hey guys an update:
They sent me the NI number 😃😃😃
Isinglass
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hey guys an update:
They sent me the NI number 😃😃😃
Congratulations🙂

Now you are no later than the average late applicant(!), so fingers crossed your application is approved soon.
Cute Kawaii
Rep:
?
Congratulations🙂

Now you are no later than the average late applicant(!), so fingers crossed your application is approved soon.
Oh hahahaha. Thankss!! Hopefully!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (5)
16.13%
No (26)
83.87%

Watched Threads