The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Funny how the Irish should complain about immigration in their country...

80 years ago, they were all leaving the country to seek work and better lives elsewhere.
gaijin

80 years ago, they were all leaving the country to seek work and better lives elsewhere.

They question openly the race issue though which is a different one. I think it's in part2.
Reply 3
gaijin

We all tend to forget our own misfortunes in our past when we become more affluent...and some of the Irish are doing exactly that by complaining about immigration. They should remember how those countries they migrated to because of starvation and lack of work complained about them in the past.

It seems that the more capitalist and economically successful a society becomes, the less concern they feel for those who are disadvantaged.

I'm frankly disgusted at this attitude which pervades most of the more affluent countries in the world. You don't see it in impoverished societies...the less they have, the more they share.
Reply 4
Wait til the children of immigrants start playing Gaelic football/hurling and then any hostility will disappear.
yawn
We all tend to forget our own misfortunes in our past when we become more affluent...and some of the Irish are doing exactly that by complaining about immigration. They should remember how those countries they migrated to because of starvation and lack of work complained about them in the past.

They were treated like dirt. So why shouldn't they in turn question letting people in?

Tit for tat.
Reply 6
Its true that when Irish people came to England they were indeed treated awfully. Apparently ( according to my mother ) there were signs saying " No Irish" about, which I find disgusting seeing as how I am Irish by descent. My own Great grandparents came to England for a better life and to get better jobs , not to be treated like dirt.:mad:
naivesincerity
They were treated like dirt. So why shouldn't they in turn question letting people in?

Tit for tat.

No, they were treated like dirt because, quite frankly, the mass influx in cities like New York was a serious demographic problem at the turn of the century.
It just makes them horrible hypocrites to be discussing immigration policies now.
naivesincerity

Tit for tat.

So two wrongs make it even? :rolleyes:
What are you, persian?
Reply 9

Tit for tat.

So I take it you wouldnt mind if people from South Asia or Africa came in and beat you up for Britian's imperialism in the 18th, 19th and early 20th century? That would be Tit for Tat too you know.
Reply 10
ish90an
So I take it you wouldnt mind if people from South Asia or Africa came in and beat you up for Britian's imperialism in the 18th, 19th and early 20th century? That would be Tit for Tat too you know.

They could ****in try. I'd stab a few to death before they took me out though.
Reply 11
It's true.

Low birth rates, mass immigration from the third world = destruction of the west.
FluxD
It's true.

Low birth rates, mass immigration from the third world = destruction of the west.

My, what a nice fellow you seem like.

Cough*closet racist*Cough.
Reply 13
indefenseoftruth

Where have I mentioned race at all?

What's the point in dismissing reality via stupid calls of RACIST.
Howard
They could ****in try. I'd stab a few to death before they took me out though.

Would you really?

Fusion
Wait til the children of immigrants start playing Gaelic football/hurling and then any hostility will disappear.

Why?
Reply 15
shamrock92
Would you really?

Sure.
Reply 16
indefenseoftruth

Please don't do that. It makes you sound really bent.
Howard
Sure.

You'd probably be dead before you could blink, if all the injustices Britain perpetrated were bottled up and released onto you by the descendants of the victims.
Reply 18
Howard
Please don't do that. It makes you sound really bent.

It's one of the reasons why talk on immigration is avoided in UK, you get idiots brandishing everything you say with 'racist'.
shamrock92
You'd probably be dead before you could blink, if all the injustices Britain perpetrated were bottled up and released onto you by the descendants of the victims.

It's human nature. Top dog uses power. People wrongly assume that being the underdog or the oppressed implies nobility. There are just the same latent tendencies in those people, it's just they are not in the position to use them so they claim the moral high ground.

Latest

Trending

Trending