The Student Room Group

HELP-I think that choosing a-level fine art was a mistake

I think that I started to hate art and/or got somewhat confused and/or dejected/put down by it. I feel as if i don t enjoy it anymore and that I was delusional in choosing it for my Alevels . For GCSE I got an 8 which probably mislead me. I am now going into year 13 and we are supposed to start our own projects but I have been confused whether I actually want to continue to do what I already started. I feel like I am not good enough to do faces and /or anatomy but thats something I would like to somehow include into my art. Any advice would be very welcome.
Original post by Zosia_
I think that I started to hate art and/or got somewhat confused and/or dejected/put down by it. I feel as if i don t enjoy it anymore and that I was delusional in choosing it for my Alevels . For GCSE I got an 8 which probably mislead me. I am now going into year 13 and we are supposed to start our own projects but I have been confused whether I actually want to continue to do what I already started. I feel like I am not good enough to do faces and /or anatomy but thats something I would like to somehow include into my art. Any advice would be very welcome.

how many a levels are you currently doing?
Reply 2
Original post by philogrobized
how many a levels are you currently doing?

I am doing eng lit, hist, fine art and polish. So 4 alevels
Original post by Zosia_
I am doing eng lit, hist, fine art and polish. So 4 alevels

and what are you planning on doing at university :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by philogrobized
and what are you planning on doing at university :smile:

I literally dont know I have too many interests in different uni courses and I dont know if I will do a gap year or not. I barely have my s**t together (eg no concrete personal statement, no work experience, no additional free courses or what not (I know this is pathetic))
Original post by Zosia_

Thats ok, I did art A level... heck I even did an art foundation year, and look at me now! (hint: username lol). I would say, just do as best as you can in it to get the UCAS points then move on lol. What do you want to do when you are older or at uni? Just try and pick an art project with some sort of "MeAniNG" behind it that you can write rubbish about lol.
Edit: Seeing as you've got 4 alevels, you could always drop it right? Up to you really, depends if you think it is going to leech away from your other subjects :heart:
This thread might be useful for you :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by nursingstudentuk
Thats ok, I did art A level... heck I even did an art foundation year, and look at me now! (hint: username lol). I would say, just do as best as you can in it to get the UCAS points then move on lol. What do you want to do when you are older or at uni? Just try and pick an art project with some sort of "MeAniNG" behind it that you can write rubbish about lol.
Edit: Seeing as you've got 4 alevels, you could always drop it right? Up to you really, depends if you think it is going to leech away from your other subjects :heart:

I have very little future plans. And the polish alevel is taken out of my main school - it is a Saturday school. So I dont know if my main school would allow me to do two alevels. (the two schools dont interact with each other if that makes sense)
Reply 8
Original post by CoolCavy
This thread might be useful for you :smile:

thank you:redrose:
Original post by Zosia_
I have very little future plans. And the polish alevel is taken out of my main school - it is a Saturday school. So I dont know if my main school would allow me to do two alevels. (the two schools dont interact with each other if that makes sense)

hmm, could be worth asking your school whether they would allow that. I'm sure they would! Doesnt really matter where you're doing them, at the end of the day, you are doing 4 a levels :/ Also, don't know if you need to hear this or not, but don't be too worried about not having future plans yet. I had no idea what I wanted to do until literally after not only my a levels, but after my gap year too (hence the weird change from art to nursing :facepalm:). So yeah, thats totally normal :biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 10
hmm, could be worth asking your school whether they would allow that. I'm sure they would! Doesnt really matter where you're doing them, at the end of the day, you are doing 4 a levels :/ Also, don't know if you need to hear this or not, but don't be too worried about not having future plans yet. I had no idea what I wanted to do until literally after not only my a levels, but after my gap year too (hence the weird change from art to nursing :facepalm:). So yeah, thats totally normal :biggrin::biggrin:

what alevels did you do/ how were you able to get into nursing?:question:
Original post by Zosia_
what alevels did you do/ how were you able to get into nursing?:question:

Here were my a levels (and rather atrocious grades! :facepalm:):

Chemistry - quit after yr1, didn't even get an AS lol

Art - A

Biology - C

Maths - D :colondollar:

EPQ - A

This allowed me to get into Nursing as my university (UWE) required 120 UCAS tariff points and a min. of C in a science or social science subject (thank God for that C in Biology :biggrin:). I've seen some unis require only 96 UCAS points for Nursing. Do you think Nursing would potentially interest you in the future?
Reply 12
Here were my a levels (and rather atrocious grades! :facepalm:):

Chemistry - quit after yr1, didn't even get an AS lol

Art - A

Biology - C

Maths - D :colondollar:

EPQ - A

This allowed me to get into Nursing as my university (UWE) required 120 UCAS tariff points and a min. of C in a science or social science subject (thank God for that C in Biology :biggrin:). I've seen some unis require only 96 UCAS points for Nursing. Do you think Nursing would potentially interest you in the future?

well I dont do any sciences or maths so I dont know how that would be possible at uni in the first place. But nursing or medicine could be interesting prospect but I dont know yet so :s-smilie:
Original post by Zosia_
well I dont do any sciences or maths so I dont know how that would be possible at uni in the first place. But nursing or medicine could be interesting prospect but I dont know yet so :s-smilie:

Oh yeah I see, if it does ever take your fancy, you can always do an 'access to Nursing/Midwifery' course to substitute the science a levels. I don't actually know how on Earth society expects teenagers to know what they want to do for the rest of theur lives :biggrin: impossible even for most adults! Try not to stress about it too much, take the time to have a gap year and get work experience (which will make your CV and application look better anyway) while you figure stuff out. You'll do fine :heart:
Reply 14
Oh yeah I see, if it does ever take your fancy, you can always do an 'access to Nursing/Midwifery' course to substitute the science a levels. I don't actually know how on Earth society expects teenagers to know what they want to do for the rest of theur lives :biggrin: impossible even for most adults! Try not to stress about it too much, take the time to have a gap year and get work experience (which will make your CV and application look better anyway) while you figure stuff out. You'll do fine :heart:

i think a gap year could be a good solution but the rona can screw everything up
Have you thought about moving away from drawing and painting and working in 3D or even photography. Certainly do not have to stick with humans! Insects, wildlife, climate change, waste /recycled materials. Be creative!
Original post by Zosia_
i think a gap year could be a good solution but the rona can screw everything up

ah yes, rona seems to be ruining everything lol. I would've had some hospital volunteering done by now if it wasn't for rona, but hey, we work with what we've got
Reply 17
Original post by Scotney
Have you thought about moving away from drawing and painting and working in 3D or even photography. Certainly do not have to stick with humans! Insects, wildlife, climate change, waste /recycled materials. Be creative!

At my school there already is a separate photography alevel so Im not sure with that. I have considered doing some sculpture works but I dont know about that.:s-smilie:
Original post by Zosia_
At my school there already is a separate photography alevel so Im not sure with that. I have considered doing some sculpture works but I dont know about that.:s-smilie:

Do some research on pop art and installations you may find something that interests you. Otherwise buildings, city scapes, urban pictures.

Quick Reply

Latest