Applying to universities abroad (should I bother???)

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
So with the results out, I have not done great enough to enter my chosen unis which is frustrating but I'm coping. While scrolling through Clearing and seeing my options, I have suddenly realized that I had an interest in studying abroad. People would assume that I am referring to studying in the UK since I am from Northern Ireland, but no, I really want to take my French to a whole other level and study in Belgium or France (or any uni that will improve my French). I love French and it is my best subject, I have actually started to think that I might end up working at an international company in a french speaking area after uni.I don't know where to begin! Will I have to wait until next year to try calling up unis in EU countries or is it too late? Where do I apply for unis outside the UK? Is there student finance available? I don't know how to go about this whole new epiphany... Should I even take this risk or calm myself down and just go to a uni in the UK and call it a day?
theJoyfulGeek
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So with the results out, I have not done great enough to enter my chosen unis which is frustrating but I'm coping. While scrolling through Clearing and seeing my options, I have suddenly realized that I had an interest in studying abroad. People would assume that I am referring to studying in the UK since I am from Northern Ireland, but no, I really want to take my French to a whole other level and study in Belgium or France (or any uni that will improve my French). I love French and it is my best subject, I have actually started to think that I might end up working at an international company in a french speaking area after uni.I don't know where to begin! Will I have to wait until next year to try calling up unis in EU countries or is it too late? Where do I apply for unis outside the UK? Is there student finance available? I don't know how to go about this whole new epiphany... Should I even take this risk or calm myself down and just go to a uni in the UK and call it a day?
Unis abroad have later deadlines than lots of UK universities, so you have plenty of time (for 2021 entry, not 2020). (The earliest I've seen is ETH Zurich which closes on the 22nd November or something for applicants who need to take their entrance exams).

Just go to the university websites and check which requirements they need for international students - it will vary depending on the university and the country. You'll probably need to apply via the university (not UCAS - it's different).

I'm no expert - I'll only apply for EU universities if UCAS doesn't go to plan (Plan B), so I haven't researched anything very extensively.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (65)
21.59%
No (236)
78.41%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise