The Student Room Group

Personal statement LONGGG

Sooo I'm currently 489 characters over the limit (tbh tho I was 700 over as of this morning so we move) anyone got any tips to help me cut it down further?

I did some fundraising for British heart foundation which I mentioned, would it be ok to write BHF instead, I feel like it doesn't make sense without writing it out first. I also wrote the full name of the place I used to work at, however I don't think I can shorten this in a way which is recognisable. Any tips?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
mine was the same a couple days ago so i took out the really irrelevant things like when i mentioned a point such as my job or an extra curricular activity i would follow it with what the it taught me and what i learnt, i don’t think naming things and explaining them are necessary. They want your personal statement to be easy for them to read
Original post by tipexmaster25
Sooo I'm currently 489 characters over the limit (tbh tho I was 700 over as of this morning so we move) anyone got any tips to help me cut it down further?

I did some fundraising for British heart foundation which I mentioned, would it be ok to write BHF instead, I feel like it doesn't make sense without writing it out first. I also wrote the full name of the place I used to work at, however I don't think I can shorten this in a way which is recognisable. Any tips?

If you are that far over the character limit, you'll probably be well over the line limit.

There will be things you can cut. Is the work experience/fund raising even relevant? If not, it can go. Anything about random ECs can go. Anything about irrelevant A-levels can go. Anything generic and waffly can go. As a PS reviewer, 90% of the statements I read have content that can easily be cut without losing any value from the statement.

If you use the TSR review service, one of our reviewers will be able to help you cut it down.

I was the same, it was painful getting my statement down to just under 4000 characters, but even that’s only my ‘second’ draft as there’s still loads I want to edit lol.
But to cut it down I was just really brutal with it, deleted stuff I was really attached to and literally after every time I’d done that was like “huh - it’s totally fine without that” or I’d forget what I’d even deleted....basically what I’m trying to say is that some stuff that you really don’t want to delete ends up being exactly what you need to/should delete! Make a copy of it all beforehand tho just in case you do regret some changes but honestly, I’d just say go for it, be brutal in deleting, changing, refining. You don’t need to explain everything super in depth - it’s key to remember that these people are smart academics, they’ll understand what you’re saying without loads of explanation. Also how put together your PS is also reflects the type of academic you are...if you’re able to say everything you want in a nice, flowing and straight-to-the-point way in 4000 characters, that’s a skill in itself that they’ll appreciate.
Sorry for the waffle - hope that helps :smile:
Original post by SarcAndSpark
If you are that far over the character limit, you'll probably be well over the line limit.

There will be things you can cut. Is the work experience/fund raising even relevant? If not, it can go. Anything about random ECs can go. Anything about irrelevant A-levels can go. Anything generic and waffly can go. As a PS reviewer, 90% of the statements I read have content that can easily be cut without losing any value from the statement.

If you use the TSR review service, one of our reviewers will be able to help you cut it down.

I feel like its the most relevant thing I have since work experience got cancelled this year, trying to apply to med school so need to include something if possible. I'll have another look over phrasing to see if I can condense that and any unimportant sentences, if all else fails I'll defo get a review. Thanks :smile:
Original post by justjas33
I was the same, it was painful getting my statement down to just under 4000 characters, but even that’s only my ‘second’ draft as there’s still loads I want to edit lol.
But to cut it down I was just really brutal with it, deleted stuff I was really attached to and literally after every time I’d done that was like “huh - it’s totally fine without that” or I’d forget what I’d even deleted....basically what I’m trying to say is that some stuff that you really don’t want to delete ends up being exactly what you need to/should delete! Make a copy of it all beforehand tho just in case you do regret some changes but honestly, I’d just say go for it, be brutal in deleting, changing, refining. You don’t need to explain everything super in depth - it’s key to remember that these people are smart academics, they’ll understand what you’re saying without loads of explanation. Also how put together your PS is also reflects the type of academic you are...if you’re able to say everything you want in a nice, flowing and straight-to-the-point way in 4000 characters, that’s a skill in itself that they’ll appreciate.
Sorry for the waffle - hope that helps :smile:

Yeah you're right, I'm being wayyy to sentimental in this :tongue: do you reckon I'll be able to cut down some of it through rephrasing as well of do I need to go full on with the backspace button :O
I'm also kinda worried because my tutor hasn't got round to looking at it yet and I feel like she might tell me to write extra things in which will make it go up even more, its boring me to death lol
I feel like its the most relevant thing I have since work experience got cancelled this year, trying to apply to med school so need to include something if possible. I'll have another look over phrasing to see if I can condense that and any unimportant sentences, if all else fails I'll defo get a review. Thanks :smile:

In that case, the work experience is probably more relevant, and something else needs to go. Honestly, just sign up for a review- I guarantee our reviewers will be able to cut something out.
Yeah you're right, I'm being wayyy to sentimental in this :tongue: do you reckon I'll be able to cut down some of it through rephrasing as well of do I need to go full on with the backspace button :O
I'm also kinda worried because my tutor hasn't got round to looking at it yet and I feel like she might tell me to write extra things in which will make it go up even more, its boring me to death lol

You can definitely cut down the word count by phrasing things differently - cut down on the waffle and get straight to the point

Yeah defo! Rephrasing is best to start with actually, if that’s not working out the backspace is your friend.
I’m in the same situ! I’d just say go with what you have rn, if she wants you to add stuff then add it and re-edit once again....it’s all part of the drafting process I suppose! I’m trying to force myself that it’ll be worth it lol
Good luck :smile:
Original post by harrysbar
You can definitely cut down the word count by phrasing things differently - cut down on the waffle and get straight to the point

Original post by justjas33
Yeah defo! Rephrasing is best to start with actually, if that’s not working out the backspace is your friend.
I’m in the same situ! I’d just say go with what you have rn, if she wants you to add stuff then add it and re-edit once again....it’s all part of the drafting process I suppose! I’m trying to force myself that it’ll be worth it lol
Good luck :smile:

Thanks for the advice everyone! I've now managed to cut it down to just over 4150 characters, so almost there (like wayyy better than 500 over lol). It was pretty much rephrasing and cutting out the odd sentence here and there, also merged 2 of my paragraphs. So yeah definitely worth the longgg and boring process of rephrasing everything, I'm actually feeling accomplished woo :tongue:
Reply 10
I wrote mine out exactly how I wanted it and discovered I was 8000 characters long. Twice the maximum amount.

Needless to say I cried having to turn my life’s achievements into some 4000 character love rap about how much I love history...

Might sell it off to Eminem 😂
Original post by Nevi
I wrote mine out exactly how I wanted it and discovered I was 8000 characters long. Twice the maximum amount.

Needless to say I cried having to turn my life’s achievements into some 4000 character love rap about how much I love history...

Might sell it off to Eminem 😂

omg I feel bad for complaining about cutting only 500 off now, it must've been a nightmare :eek: but yeah you should've kept the other half and then flip a coin to see which one got sent off to UCAS :P

Also does anyone know if the UCAS submit thing tells you if you're over the line limit? Cause I definitely am rn, but when I previewed it last night it only said about the character limit and nothing about lines .. o_O
Reply 12
I wrote about three pages worth of ps last year and i had to boil it down to one. my advice is stick to the basics. Don't go into way too many details. When I started writing my statement I had no idea what to write and then Boom!! three pages. Here's how I laid out my final one page version:
-1st paragraph: Introduce yourself. You can google how to start off a ps but try not to copy anything. But take inspiration. Keep it short.
- 2nd: Talk about why want to study the subject. It's best to be honest. However, don't mention any work experiences or practical skills and stuff at this point and if you do, try not to go into too many details. You have the next two paragraphs for that. I would say talk about your reading, curiosity and your inspiration in this paragraph. Keep it a bit longer than the introduction but not too long.
- 3rd: Have any work experiences? Or maybe you have a job relevant to the uni course? Or maybe you went to a club and learnt valuable practical skills relevant to your course? Describe what you did and learnt and what you loved most about it. Talk about the skills gained and why it's important to study your course
- 4th: Same as the third but with a different skill/job/experience etc.
- 5th: Summarise everything in one paragraph. Whatever you wrote. Summarise why all the skills you learnt will help you excel at your uni course
-6th: End the ps with, I'd say, two sentences. Should cover about three lines of the pages. I would say read other ps and see how everyone else does it and take inspiration from that. Ending was hard for and took me quite a long time
Original post by SarcAndSpark

can you tell me your organisation or contact number by which I can get in touch with you
Original post by sujana
I wrote about three pages worth of ps last year and i had to boil it down to one. my advice is stick to the basics. Don't go into way too many details. When I started writing my statement I had no idea what to write and then Boom!! three pages. Here's how I laid out my final one page version:
-1st paragraph: Introduce yourself. You can google how to start off a ps but try not to copy anything. But take inspiration. Keep it short.
- 2nd: Talk about why want to study the subject. It's best to be honest. However, don't mention any work experiences or practical skills and stuff at this point and if you do, try not to go into too many details. You have the next two paragraphs for that. I would say talk about your reading, curiosity and your inspiration in this paragraph. Keep it a bit longer than the introduction but not too long.
- 3rd: Have any work experiences? Or maybe you have a job relevant to the uni course? Or maybe you went to a club and learnt valuable practical skills relevant to your course? Describe what you did and learnt and what you loved most about it. Talk about the skills gained and why it's important to study your course
- 4th: Same as the third but with a different skill/job/experience etc.
- 5th: Summarise everything in one paragraph. Whatever you wrote. Summarise why all the skills you learnt will help you excel at your uni course
-6th: End the ps with, I'd say, two sentences. Should cover about three lines of the pages. I would say read other ps and see how everyone else does it and take inspiration from that. Ending was hard for and took me quite a long time

I don't have any work experience so would I be at a disadvantage to other applicants??what do u suggest I add instead of work experience??
Reply 15
@Vighnes0216

I would say use other stuff. I included the trips I went to when I was attending school. Or maybe you watch documentaries or you read a really good book which gave you knowledge on that course. Doesnt have to be work related. If it's relevant to your course, include it.
Original post by sujana
@Vighnes0216

I would say use other stuff. I included the trips I went to when I was attending school. Or maybe you watch documentaries or you read a really good book which gave you knowledge on that course. Doesnt have to be work related. If it's relevant to your course, include it.
thanksss btw
r u from india??

you are worried out being it long and i am stressing over what to write how to write lol.
Original post by future-doctor &lt
you are worried out being it long and i am stressing over what to write how to write lol.

that's everyone's first stage bro...after u actually start writing u won't be able to stop 😂
Original post by Vighnes0216
can you tell me your organisation or contact number by which I can get in touch with you

You just post your PS in the PS review forum here:https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=1372

And one of the team will be in touch with you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending