The Student Room Group

Is it worth it to get a job during my first year of uni?

I was hoping to get a job to help fund other stuff I might want to do in and outside of uni but I'm not sure. The money I will be receiving will not be much and I have worked before but the only issue would be how getting a job might affect my social life. I would have to work after school hours but a lot of even (I think) might be taking place. Should I work now or try hold off on applying for jobs until a later date?

If you worked, did it affect your social life in any way?
Original post by Anonymous
I was hoping to get a job to help fund other stuff I might want to do in and outside of uni but I'm not sure. The money I will be receiving will not be much and I have worked before but the only issue would be how getting a job might affect my social life. I would have to work after school hours but a lot of even (I think) might be taking place. Should I work now or try hold off on applying for jobs until a later date?

Get a feel for the workload before applying for a job, it may turn out to be too much as some degrees have a lot of content
There is more scope for finding work in your first year at uni-I would advise looking for part time jobs with hours no more than 12 per week. I managed to work in different jobs throughout my whole degree.
(edited 3 years ago)
Yes definitely, both to get some money and experience. It’s beneficial big time to your CV to demonstrate you can balance work and study life.
As others have mentioned, it should be fine as long as the hours aren't crazy. I think when I was in 1st year I did around 14hrs/pw and it was manageable!
Hi @Anonymous
I really recommend getting a part time job during your first year. I got a student ambassador role and it’s been good for me, it’s been really flexible so it fit around my studies and social life. My university ( Lancaster ) has lots of temporary jobs which I’ve found easy to apply for and schedule them around my lifestyle. Many students also take the approach of working during the long uni holidays especially the summer one ! I would have a look at your schedule first and see what you can fit in but also in my experience the workload does increase for studying in second and third year so first year is a good time to search for a job.
Hope this helps
Lancaster University Student ambassador Holly
Original post by Anonymous

Hey!

I thought this blog post might be useful for you:
Part-time job and uni life, is it possible?

I wish you the very best of luck with whatever decision you decide to make :smile:

Becky

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending