The Student Room Group

Overcoming ASD with God

I was diagnosed with ASD in 2013. I am now having symptoms wearing away over the years but still have difficulties in social situations.
With above-minded thinking, which I am starting now, I am sure that I can be able to overcome the diagnosis by the time I graduate from uni.
I have/had the following symptoms:
Sensitive to TV closing credits (until 2017)
Speech therapy required (but ended in 2015, when I passed my first major interview for secondary school)
Intense focus on transport (but had expanded interests since 2016)
Non-sustained eye contact (until 2018)
Interrupting teachers (until last month, as I have used other resources to help me)
Not understanding some social issues, but started to understand some slang and body language since 2019
May have difficulty on priorities
May have difficulty on empathy
May avoid conversations
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Here is how I journal on this path:
Symptom reduced: Lack of empathy
Action: My dad has an eye injury yesterday, and I found that he cannot eat shrimps. I decided not to order shrimp dumplings as part of the dim sum lunch today, so he can eat all of the food we order.
Reply 2
Symptom reduced: Lack of empathy (again)
Action: A mate from church is going into his first year of secondary school, but will not meet his classmates physically until the 23rd because of an announcement from HK government. He will be studying at the school next to mine.
At least for the first week, I will take the 54S minibus to go home with him. I will get off before him. He leaves at the last stop and I get off at Diamond Hill.
http://www.16seats.net/eng/gmb/gk_54s.html
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3
Symptom reduced: Lack of priority/distracted
Action: I have just completed a 30-minute devotion with only one distraction. When I used to do devotionals, I was distracted by other websites. But under God, I have started to remove them, and sooner there will be no more!
This is amazing Im so happy for you!!! :biggrin:
@trapking
Original post by 8013
I was diagnosed with ASD in 2013. I am now having symptoms wearing away over the years but still have difficulties in social situations.
With above-minded thinking, which I am starting now, I am sure that I can be able to overcome the diagnosis by the time I graduate from uni.
I have/had the following symptoms:
Sensitive to TV closing credits (until 2017)
Speech therapy required (but ended in 2015, when I passed my first major interview for secondary school)
Intense focus on transport (but had expanded interests since 2016)
Non-sustained eye contact (until 2018)
Interrupting teachers (until last month, as I have used other resources to help me)
Not understanding some social issues, but started to understand some slang and body language since 2019
May have difficulty on priorities
May have difficulty on empathy
May avoid conversations

Wow this is Ahmazing. God is good. God is great.

Keep seeking him my brother! Anything is possible with God and ALL things can be overcome through him.
Original post by PeachyMilk
This is amazing Im so happy for you!!! :biggrin:
@trapking

The best peach on this side of heaven. Thank you :biggrin:
Original post by trapking

Keep seeking him my brother! Anything is possible with God and ALL things can be overcome through him.

The best peach on this side of heaven. Thank you :biggrin:

no worries :biggrin:
Original post by 8013
Here is how I journal on this path:
Symptom reduced: Lack of empathy
Action: My dad has an eye injury yesterday, and I found that he cannot eat shrimps. I decided not to order shrimp dumplings as part of the dim sum lunch today, so he can eat all of the food we order.

That's so cute ....I would be happy if one of my kids thought like that when we were ordering food
Reply 8
Symptom reduced: Difficulty understanding non-written instructions
Action: I used to just pass through every small gap when walking. My dad has reminded me a lot of times but I always ignored him. However, when I saw a small gap, I stepped backwards and wait until a large space is available for me to pass through.
Reply 9
Original post by trapking

Thanks. God is the only one who can get me out of ASD symptoms and make me fit into the workforce, as it is a difficulty for people with ASD.
Reply 10
Original post by harrysbar
That's so cute ....I would be happy if one of my kids thought like that when we were ordering food

This is how God brought empathy back to me.
Reply 11
My parents have recently threatened me that they may fix my applications and ensure that I got rejected from all universities in the next 2 entry cycles. This will be a total heartbreak for me and I am forced to take 2 gap years.
By focusing on others' thoughts before mine, this may make me change a lot of my habits to the benefit of them and I will not get the fix.
(Update: This is a troll!)
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 12
Symptom reduced: Distracted easily
Action: I went through three periods of online class without any distraction and focusing all of the time today. This is difficult even to normal people.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 13
Symptom reduced: Difficulty understanding verbal instructions
Action: I added six homework tasks quickly after they are assigned so the class can see them as soon as possible.
Reply 14
Original post by 8013
Symptom reduced: Distracted easily
Action: I went through three periods of online class without any distraction and focusing all of the time today. This is difficult even to normal people.

I went through another 4 periods of it today. I took screen captures of one lesson and sent it to my class group chat, so they can go back to it. This has also increased empathy.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by RogerOxon
Except evidence, logic, the avoidance of suffering (e.g. childhood cancer), etc.

This is not a debate, so please do not expect me to reply further.

You're back looking for arguments I see :tongue:

Remain well Roger!
Reply 16
Symptoms reduced in the past week:
1. Avoiding social communication: I joined in the class discussion of an M1 paper someone brought to school, despite we are not taking M1.
2. Easily distracted: I went through all 7 periods of class without distraction, and also completed two Chemistry exercises, one Maths paper, one Physics paper and one Chemistry paper yesterday. This is my most productive afternoon so far.
3. Difficulty understanding verbal instructions: I asked for today’s breakfast at 1:37 pm yesterday, long before my dad asked me. I haven’t done that before, despite my dad telling me to do everything a day in advance!
Reply 17
It is time for me to overcome two other common traits of a person with ASD:
Cannot deal well with verbal feedback and always sticking to a routine. With these getting off me, I will make a step closer to beating this diagnosis, and have an easier time looking for a graduate job without worrying about the low employment rate for people with ASD!
Beating ASD often happens before 15, but if I managed to beat it at 20-22, it is actually a wonderful achievement! It can be a testimony for the Gospel, and as a nomination for the TOYP Hong Kong award!
Reply 18
And I have immediately tried it.
I was unable to download a past exam paper from Scribd, which is locked on the Edexcel website. I used to download papers directly from a website.
However, I then took screen captures of the paper and used an app (image to pdf converter) to convert my images back into a PDF. I then uploaded the paper to my Drive.
As a result, I can finally do the paper!
Reply 19
I have started to get some conversations back. I have deleted Facebook and will quit social media until the end of October. This is really good, and I can try to engage with people face to face. By doing this I can be better in social situations.
However, if the class is talking about inappropriate things, I will still avoid these conversations!
I can now already see when a conversation is ending, starting with some practice on TSR. When there are no replies to my threads for a while, I will not be looking at them again, in order to move forward. I will still have a little bit of conversation about the content on the exam papers after the exams but will forget about the paper when the conversation ends. I will only talk about it on TSR's discussion threads as they are active for some time after the exams.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending