The Student Room Group

The Great Debaters Society Initiation

Poll

Do you want to become a Great Debater?

If you spend the majority of your time on TSR in the Debate & Discussion section please consider becoming a member of the The Great Debaters, signalling your passion or interest in talking and debating the from dynamics of society, the scope of politics, to the relevance of God in today's world.

He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

- Chinese proverb.

I love that proverb, it just shows that we're all fools when it comes to something, simply because we don't know about it. In every forum I have come past over the years I have always been drawn to the debaters and discussions. I remember being so brisk and arrogant, posting on one thread then being countered with one sweeping response back leaving me with a red face. In time, I began to hold my own. We debate and discuss to teach and to learn, it's the best type of verbal interaction and which will change you eventually. Ponder before you wander, they say.

If you spend most of your time here and want to represent and build a group of enthusiastic and great debating circle, take a moment to consider joining. Just post here and vote to register your interest so the Administration here will give this Society the green light :smile:
Reply 1
Bump
Reply 2
Meus
Bump

That's against the rules, you know.

With good reason too - if someone's not interested on the first circulation of a thread, they're quite unlikely to be interested in its second circulation.

May I suggest why? It seems to me that your 'society' here sounds like a pretentious pseudo-intellectual ****-bank, set up by someone who is quite frankly an unknown quantity, with no obvious or interesting purpose save for what we manage to do already without some glorified chat thread in which to circle-jerk ourselves off in afterwards. At least if you'd decided to call it the Master Debaters Club we could all have had a bit of a laugh over it, but no.

So, to conclude, not really my cup of tea, thanks. :smile:
L i b

With good reason too - if someone's not interested on the first circulation of a thread, they're quite unlikely to be interested in its second circulation.

May I suggest why? It seems to me that your 'society' here sounds like a pretentious pseudo-intellectual ****-bank, set up by someone who is quite frankly an unknown quantity, with no obvious or interesting purpose save for what we manage to do already without some glorified chat thread in which to circle-jerk ourselves off in afterwards. At least if you'd decided to call it the Master Debaters Club we could all have had a bit of a laugh over it, but no.

:zomg:
Reply 4
L i b

If it's against the rules to bump a thread for this purpose then I didnt come across but fair enough. If you don't want to join, that's cool too. Everything in between was quite frankly disrespectful and without cause, but that's cool too.
I don't like this idea. "Debaters Society", maybe. But "Great Debaters Society"? No.
Meus
If you spend the majority of your time on TSR in the Debate & Discussion section please consider becoming a member of the The Great Debaters, signalling your passion or interest in talking and debating the from dynamics of society, the scope of politics, to the relevance of God in today's world.

I love that proverb, it just shows that we're all fools when it comes to something, simply because we don't know about it. In every forum I have come past over the years I have always been drawn to the debaters and discussions. I remember being so brisk and arrogant, posting on one thread then being countered with one sweeping response back leaving me with a red face. In time, I began to hold my own. We debate and discuss to teach and to learn, it's the best type of verbal interaction and which will change you eventually. Ponder before you wander, they say.

If you spend most of your time here and want to represent and build a group of enthusiastic and great debating circle, take a moment to consider joining. Just post here and vote to register your interest so the Administration here will give this Society the green light :smile:

Would you be more interested in a mass debating society?
Reply 7
The name is based on the movie The Great Debaters, it's amazing inspirational.

SolInvictus
Would you be more interested in a mass debating society?

Sure
This strikes me as rather insecure; almost like the 'cool badges' at school that people made to show that they're cool. Or the heterosexual badges people used to make. Somehow it means that they had evidence that they're cool or straight because they wore the badge, which was certainly irrational to my mind.

That said, I wouldn't object to a D&D Debater Regular society for people who like engaging in generic debates, much like the table-tennis society who have members who regularly play table-tennis as a hobby (not sure if that exists, actually). Yet I wouldn't join it, for fear of looking more than a little bit sad. Unless, of course, it became popular with some big names. Then I might think about it as a legitimate place to chat about D&D threads - but even then it would probably just turn into a minimod's nightmare, generic debating thread or informal insults and slagging thread.

Notice, I'm not saying it's a bad idea; but just that the title, aim and presentation was ill-thought out.
Don't think this will take off, if people want to debate they just go to D&D, there's a whole TSR world outside.

Latest

Trending

Trending