SS123456
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi there. I am 24. I had been applying to law forms for vacation schemes as it was always an ambition of mine to be a solicitor. I never once wanted to to anything else and my heart was so firmly in the mindset that I wanted to work in Big Law/magic/silver circle firms.

Slowly this dream faded as the courses were so expensive and self funded and also so competitive to get onto. I was always getting a rejection email from even the most basic high street firms.

So I then did some work experience at schools and thought. Maybe I need to try my hand at something else, even subconsciously I always used to volunteer with children and never thought much of it.

I then decided that I would apply to become a teacher, and I’m now enrolled on a PGCE. Only thing is, I’m scared, because this was a back up and my heart always wanted to do law but I just faced so many rejections I knew it wasn’t for me

Any advice?
stephanieg1992
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'll just say, there's nothing wrong with a back-up. Sometimes things just don't go your way and you realise a 'dream' you've had just isn't for you. And that's okay. Some people find their dream jobs as a back up. I personally got rejected from my dream uni and ended up absolutely loving my insurance choice. I'll never know if my first choice would've been better, but all I know is how happy I was at my insurance so it doesn't matter. Rejection is redirection, and it could be the best thing to ever happen to you if you discover a love for teaching.

All I will say is... make sure you're not just using teaching as a 'back up' option because it's a 'professional' job rather than something you have a genuine love for. It doesn't necessarily sound like you really want to teach, and that could be a problem. You really need to have some kind of passion or get enjoyment out of it, because while the salary isn't *bad*, you could probably make more in other jobs with less stress. It's a tough job no matter what but without some kind of fire in your belly, it will be incredibly difficult.

If you decide it's not for you, there is no shame in dropping out of your PGCE if this is the case and the workload gets too much. Don't waste years on something that's not for you. Just make sure you have some sort of plan if you do.
SS123456
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by stephanieg1992)
I'll just say, there's nothing wrong with a back-up. Sometimes things just don't go your way and you realise a 'dream' you've had just isn't for you. And that's okay. Some people find their dream jobs as a back up. I personally got rejected from my dream uni and ended up absolutely loving my insurance choice. I'll never know if my first choice would've been better, but all I know is how happy I was at my insurance so it doesn't matter. Rejection is redirection, and it could be the best thing to ever happen to you if you discover a love for teaching.

All I will say is... make sure you're not just using teaching as a 'back up' option because it's a 'professional' job rather than something you have a genuine love for. It doesn't necessarily sound like you really want to teach, and that could be a problem. You really need to have some kind of passion or get enjoyment out of it, because while the salary isn't *bad*, you could probably make more in other jobs with less stress. It's a tough job no matter what but without some kind of fire in your belly, it will be incredibly difficult.

If you decide it's not for you, there is no shame in dropping out of your PGCE if this is the case and the workload gets too much. Don't waste years on something that's not for you. Just make sure you have some sort of plan if you do.
Hey thanks for the response! I really appreciate it. I actually enjoyed all my work experience with kids I just had way too many law rejections I really had to try my backup.

I think it’s more the giving up on a dream that was sad than anything
stephanieg1992
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by SS123456)
Hey thanks for the response! I really appreciate it. I actually enjoyed all my work experience with kids I just had way too many law rejections I really had to try my backup.

I think it’s more the giving up on a dream that was sad than anything
That's good then! Teaching is just so not a job you can half-arse.

Letting go of a dream is so hard! When I got rejected from my uni, I was *heartbroken*, but it all worked out! I really hope you look back next year or in a couple of years and are like 'law not working out was actually the best thing for me!' because these things do often work out for the best.

Best of luck with your course! I feel like Law has a lot of transferable skills to teaching, so I'm sure you'll be fab!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (64)
21.77%
No (230)
78.23%

Watched Threads